Earthquake measuring 4.8 magnitude slams NY metropolitan area, New Jersey

Guno צְבִי

We fight, We win
A 4.8 magnitude earthquake rattled the tristate area Friday with tremors being felt across the five boroughs and New Jersey, multiple people reported.

Tremors could also be felt across the Eastern Seaboard as far away as Schenectady, N.Y., Connecticut and Pennsylvania, where it shook dishware knocked over figurines and rattled household fixtures.

The U.S. Geological Survey said that the preliminary magnitude of 4.7 occurred near Lebanon, N.J. at 10:23 a.m.

The FDNY responded to dozens of 911 calls about buildings shaking throughout the five boroughs, but there were no initial reports of injuries or structural damage.

https://www.nydailynews.com/2024/04...paign=The-Daily-News-Flash&utm_content=hybrid

Here's What Caused Earthquake That Shook Houses Across LI: USGS
East Coast earthquakes are infrequent but not unexpected, the USGS said.

According to the United States Geological Survey, or USGS, the 4.8 magnitude earthquake Friday, near Whitehouse Station, NJ, "occurred as a result of oblique reverse and strike-slip faulting at shallow depths in the crust. Although this event did not occur near a plate boundary, such 'intraplate' earthquakes can and do occur. While this earthquake is relatively small globally, earthquakes of this magnitude are commonly widely felt in the eastern United States because of efficient seismic wave propagation in the region."

Earthquakes in the eastern US are infrequent — but not unexpected, the USGS said, adding that since 1950, 40 other earthquakes of magnitude 3 and larger have occurred within 250 km of Friday's earthquake.

https://patch.com/new-york/sachem/s...892e353baeffd2a&lctg=64b5ea2fef019ffdb30ab2b8

There was even an aftershock earthquake a few hours later.

I doubt they did much damage.

A 4.8 “slams” ??? Slams what?

LOL!!! I doubt anyone is going to apply for FEMA aid.

My dog was in doggie daycare, and so I did not see first hand her reaction. I did ask the people at the doggie daycare, and they say none of the dogs reacted to the earthquake. It was that minor.

Back