Elon Musk moves X out of San Francisco. City leaders shrug.

SAN FRANCISCO — After 18 years, Elon Musk will move X, formerly known as Twitter, out of San Francisco, according to Mayor London Breed’s office. The social media company has a long history with the city, but the billionaire entrepreneur, who acquired the platform in 2022, has often used it to bash the city’s progressive politics and homelessness crisis.

The city will miss the tax revenue. Musk will continue to make appropriate commentary on the state of urban decay in once beautiful San Francisco.

Another rebublican run city gone to ruin.
The Retail situation is no better.....its rather a challenge to kill a once great and big city such as SF as fast as it has been done....and lets be clear....it has been done on purpose.

The city will miss the tax revenue. Musk will continue to make appropriate commentary on the state of urban decay in once beautiful San Francisco.
Again, he laid off the workforce, so little tax revenue. In other words, no one will miss Musk.

Again, he laid off the workforce, so little tax revenue. In other words, no one will miss Musk.
That's false. The City is trying to get past this whole 'doom loop' narrative and having the headlines say 'Twitter Leaving City' doesn't help as global perception matters as far as who wants to visit here, book corporate conferences etc.

(Now I'm also not suggesting Twitter leaving is going to be the final crushing blow for the City, it's not. But suggesting it doesn't matter or people don't care is something someone not from here would say.)

That's false. The City is trying to get past this whole 'doom loop' narrative and having the headlines say 'Twitter Leaving City' doesn't help as global perception matters as far as who wants to visit here, book corporate conferences etc.

(Now I'm also not suggesting Twitter leaving is going to be the final crushing blow for the City, it's not. But suggesting it doesn't matter or people don't care is something someone not from here would say.)
Musk has done a masterful narrative shift to his complete failure. As he is about to be evicted, he claims he is leaving anyway.

I see what you are saying, that narrative does hurt San Francisco. What does not hurt San Francisco is losing a failing company.

Musk has done a masterful narrative shift to his complete failure. As he is about to be evicted, he claims he is leaving anyway.

I see what you are saying, that narrative does hurt San Francisco. What does not hurt San Francisco is losing a failing company.
Lost tax base always hurts a city. X is still worth~ 20 billion.

Lost tax base always hurts a city. X is still worth~ 20 billion.
It is a privately held company, so does not have a market cap. We can guess a value, but we cannot tax it. A year ago, it was worth $19 billion, but today it is almost certainly worth much less.

Musk claims it is not generating a profit. The profit is what is generally taxed. There is also a property tax payed by the landlord, but Musk is not paying rent, so it is hard to pay that property tax.

The taxes on the wages and the employees is also down as Musk laid off all the best employees.

Back