Eminent Domain Bites Back

Timshel

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=077c9f67-30a7-4862-ad5c-83b5b76a7721

Affordable-housing activists in Brooklyn, N.Y., are proposing eminent domain be used to seize a prime piece of New York real estate from Pfizer Inc.

Pfizer is the same company that inspired economic-development plans in the Fort Trumbull neighborhood of New London after the pharmaceutical giant started building its Global Research & Development headquarters there nearly a decade ago.

Once everyone on all sides loses enough property, I think we can finally decide that it's stupid and quit doing it.

But maybe I'm being too optimistic there. We've been in Iraq 5 years and lost almost 4000 troops and we still haven't reached that conclusion there.

Once everyone on all sides loses enough property, I think we can finally decide that it's stupid and quit doing it.

But maybe I'm being too optimistic there. We've been in Iraq 5 years and lost almost 4000 troops and we still haven't reached that conclusion there.

Probably not. It's not always stupid for the government agents. Since it is legal and proper according to the supremes and Damo, we have to be careful about how we argue against it.

Eminent domain is constitutional BUT the Supreme Court has endorsed it in a way that is contrary to the spirit of Eminent Domain. It was meant to insure that government's could provide power and water and roads and those sort of things. It was NEVER meant to give corporations the power to take peoples homes. I don't even have a problem with it being used to remove neighborhoods that are truly blighted but New London did not fit that catagory.

Back