Enviro-whackos angry at ballplayer for hunting feral pigs, coyotes from copter

Little-Acorn

Wild hogs and coyotes are regarded as pests on large ranches, and are regularly hunted by owners to reduce the damage they do to livestock, vegetation, etc.

Apparently these enviro-airbrains would be happier if the hunter gave the wild animals a sporting chance to kill him at the same time. Using a helicopter just isn't fair!

Not that there is no concern for the well-being of the man's ranch, danger to other animals and even the man's family posed by the wild hogs and coyotes, etc.

Can these people get any more nutty?

----------------------------

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=58459

Major-leaguer ripped for hunting from air

Environmentalists demand team order player to stop shooting from helicopter

Posted: March 09, 2008
4:48 pm Eastern

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – A Major League Baseball pitcher is catching heat from an environmental group because of his off-season hunting of wild hogs and coyotes via helicopter.

Logan Kensing, a reliever for the Florida Marlins, is targeted by the Palm Beach County Environmental Coalition, according to the Palm Beach Post.

"We want the Marlins to make him agree to stop," the group's co-chair, attorney Barry Silver, told the paper.

Silver sent a strongly worded letter yesterday to team owner Jeffrey Loria.

"They have 10 days from Monday to reprimand the player for behavior that isn't one of a role model," he told the Post. "If they don't, we will be persistent. We'll infiltrate the fans and pull out signs. We'll picket. If we're willing to have 27 people arrested, it's obvious we're committed."

In a Feb. 21 interview with the Post, Kensing said he wasn't bothered by the protest: "They can come at me if they want to."

The native Texan, 25, explained hunting down the hogs is part of maintaining his family's ranch.

"We make money off our land. Those pigs destroy everything," he said. "Each litter, which happens three times a year, is gonna have 12 pigs, and 60 percent are females."

Kensing described his method.

"The pilot's pretty good. He gets right next to them. We spot them, he flies in sideways, glides and we shoot them."

He even provided video of one of his chopper excursions as he scoped for the animals.

An outraged Dan Liftman, a green-minded aide to U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, took the clipping to the monthly meeting of Silver's crew.

"I thought it was pretty sick," said Liftman, an aide to U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Fla. "That's his fun? Shooting animals from a helicopter? I think that's a little crazy."

Said Silver: "When killing becomes mechanized, it's all too easy. Scientific literature makes it clear that when someone engages in violence against animals, that person is more likely to commit violence against people."

Kensing points out he's not committing any crime, adding he and his teammates once rescued an injured baby raccoon on a Florida golf course, nursing it for four days before turning it over to a shelter.

Lazy or wussy. I'll amend what I've said "elsewhere" and add -probably both.
Granted, but it is his property so he can "hunt" them however he wants. I use a bow more often to hunt than a rifle so to me rifle hunters are pretty wussy to.

Granted, but it is his property so he can "hunt" them however he wants. I use a bow more often to hunt than a rifle so to me rifle hunters are pretty wussy to.

I would agree that a bow is more sporting, but in this case it sounds as though he has more of an infestation problem.

plus, shooting a pig with a bow... ya better be damn good with a bow. :)

I would agree that a bow is more sporting, but in this case it sounds as though he has more of an infestation problem.

plus, shooting a pig with a bow... ya better be damn good with a bow. :)
We have only little pigs in New Mexico called Javelina. BUT if you wanna hear how stupid I was when I was 19, I went out with four other guys in Arkansas in 1984 and hunted razor back with spears! That's right spears. Can't say I have ever done anything stupider before or since. We actually got one, and my friend Dennis starting talking about hunting bear with spears the next season. I told him to get fucked. Razorbacks with spears is shit your pants frightening.

We have only little pigs in New Mexico called Javelina. BUT if you wanna hear how stupid I was when I was 19, I went out with four other guys in Arkansas in 1984 and hunted razor back with spears! That's right spears. Can't say I have ever done anything stupider before or since. We actually got one, and my friend Dennis starting talking about hunting bear with spears the next season. I told him to get fucked. Razorbacks with spears is shit your pants frightening.

Damn dude.... that is indeed insane. I can see someone making that mistake once... but to suggest going back and doing it again? Razorbacks are insane.... either that or they have no fear.... they just charge your ass like they are saying "fuck it... one of us loses... right now".

Damn dude.... that is indeed insane. I can see someone making that mistake once... but to suggest going back and doing it again? Razorbacks are insane.... either that or they have no fear.... they just charge your ass like they are saying "fuck it... one of us loses... right now".
That is exactly what happened. A pig charged Dennis and he put his spear up against a tree the pig impaled itself. Dennis' brother made spears out of aluminum poles and sharpened the tips, they were about 8 feet long. I was standing about 3 feet from Dennis when the thing charged. Afterward I though, if he had veer toward me, I might have only gotten a glancing blow before he got me with those tusks. It was a quickly learned lesson as a 19 year old. Never ever ever again.

Last edited:

I understand hunting, don't do it but understand it. I also understand feral pest control. I know the difference between them.

Those pigs destroy everything," he said. "Each litter, which happens three times a year, is gonna have 12 pigs, and 60 percent are females."

I wonder if, during one of his Rambo air assaults, he ever stops to think that coyotes are natural predators of baby and juvenile feral pigs.

Those pigs destroy everything," he said. "Each litter, which happens three times a year, is gonna have 12 pigs, and 60 percent are females."

I wonder if, during one of his Rambo air assaults, he ever stops to think that coyotes are natural predators of baby and juvenile feral pigs.
LOL. I wonder if, during one of your posts you really think that letting the predation of their cattle would be worth it to just let those coyotes do their job by killing a few of the baby pigs.

LOL. I wonder if, during one of your posts you really think that letting the predation of their cattle would be worth it to just let those coyotes do their job by killing a few of the baby pigs.

There's no mention of cattle in the link.

In fact, according to ten seconds of google research, his family "ranch" is a deer hunting ranch used for private hunting clubs. Which, if you've ever lived in Texas, you would know is a very common and lucrative business.

There's no mention of cattle in the link.

In fact, according to ten seconds of google research, his family "ranch" is a deer hunting ranch used for private hunting clubs. Which, if you've ever lived in Texas, you would know is a very common and lucrative business.
Ah, deer then. Which predation is more important to them?

That is exactly what happened. A pig charged Dennis and he put his spear up against a tree the pig impaled itself. Dennis' brother made spears out of aluminum poles and sharpened the tips, they were about 8 feet long. I was standing about 3 feet from Dennis when the thing charged. Afterward I though, if he had veer toward me, I might have only gotten a glancing blow before he got me with those tusks. It was a quickly learned lesson as a 19 year old. Never ever ever again.

Hell, we stumbled upon one when we were hiking... damn thing didn't hesitate... came right at us... thank god for low tree branches and a head start.

Back