Ethanol Sucks

Bonestorm

Thrillhouse
Really:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The widespread use of ethanol from corn could result in nearly twice the greenhouse gas emissions as the gasoline it would replace because of expected land-use changes, researchers concluded Thursday. The study challenges the rush to biofuels as a response to global warming.

The researchers said that past studies showing the benefits of ethanol in combating climate change have not taken into account almost certain changes in land use worldwide if ethanol from corn — and in the future from other feedstocks such as switchgrass — become a prized commodity.

"Using good cropland to expand biofuels will probably exacerbate global warming," concludes the study published in Science magazine.

The researchers said that farmers under economic pressure to produce biofuels will increasingly "plow up more forest or grasslands," releasing much of the carbon formerly stored in plants and soils through decomposition or fires. Globally, more grasslands and forests will be converted to growing the crops to replace the loss of grains when U.S. farmers convert land to biofuels, the study said.

The Renewable Fuels Association, which represents ethanol producers, called the researchers' view of land-use changes "simplistic" and said the study "fails to put the issue in context."

Tax carbon and let the magic of the market work it out. Nothing else works. Subsidies clearly don't work because of things like the above.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gG6RDP96uZ_A1auof7LysRqbgDxAD8ULOQ380

So we do nothing until we have the perfect soloution ?

At least this is routing money back into our economy instead of that of the ME.

Yes Ethanol is not the soloution we need many more pieces to the puzzle, most of them not made yet.

And for String, an article covering the humanitarian side of the issue:

Turning food into fuel also has the unintended consequence of driving up food prices, reducing the access of the neediest populations to grains and meat. "It's equivalent to saying we will try to reduce greenhouse gases by reducing food consumption," Searchinger says. "Unfortunately, a lot of that comes from the world's poorest people."

"We are converting their food into our fuel," Tilman notes. " The typical driver of an SUV spends as much on fuel in a month as the poorer third of the world spend on food."

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=biofuels-bad-for-people-and-climate&print=true

" The typical driver of an SUV spends as much on fuel in a month as the poorer third of the world spend on food."

so $300 or so will feed the poorer 1/3 of the world ?

So we do nothing until we have the perfect soloution ?

At least this is routing money back into our economy instead of that of the ME.

Yes Ethanol is not the soloution we need many more pieces to the puzzle, most of them not made yet.

usc demonstrates the real problem. Most people want action not solutions.

The subsidy scheme is bad because it will become an entrenched special interest. As better alternatives become available they will be fought against and changes will be hindered.

only reason bush pushing ethanol is cause the pressure for alternative fuel is great and he picked one that would benefit his corporate buddies the best.

Really no reason we cant run a car on solar and wind power. solar metallic paint.. then wind turbines when driving.

No one really wants change, people say they do but the changes required to solve our oil addiction will be painful at best.

No one really wants change, people say they do but the changes required to solve our oil addiction will be painful at best.

I can agree with this. I would like change to get us off the middle eastern oil tit but hate to think about how it would affect me personally. Vehicle travel is still cheaper for me than air travel for me. I can still drive to the inlaws for about $300 in fuel for round trip but it would cost my family of 3 around $600 to fly. Plus I can bring back the half of beef every November in my Tahoe and couldn't if I flew.

The only good thing I can say about ethanol is that it is routing money back into our agriculture instead of to the ME, and if we lose that we are ten toes up as a nation.

And it is doing something, it has reduced our dependency on inported oil a bit. It and biodiesel.

I will be glad when we do something to replace the ethanol though.

The only good thing I can say about ethanol is that it is routing money back into our agriculture instead of to the ME, and if we lose that we are ten toes up as a nation.

And it is doing something, it has reduced our dependency on inported oil a bit. It and biodiesel.

I will be glad when we do something to replace the ethanol though.

How do you figure it is reducing our dependency on imported oil, even a bit?

Ever hear of E85 or ethanol enriched Gasoline. I think enthanol enriched gas is mandatory in some places and the number of places is growing.

Back