Euro Fetches $1.55 for the First Time

uscitizen

Villified User

Wednesday March 12, 12:59 PM EDT

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Skepticism about the latest U.S. Federal Reserve Bank plan to restore calm to jittery global credit markets dropped the dollar to new lows, with the euro pushing past $1.55 for the first time ever Wednesday.

The Fed on Tuesday announced a rescue package that would pour as much as $200 billion into banks and investment houses, in concert with help from the European Central Bank along with central banks in Britain, Switzerland and Canada.

Concerns the Fed action may be outweighed by U.S. economic difficulties gained strength in trading Wednesday, halting a euro slide and pushing it instead to a record high of $1.5513, surpassing its previous record of $1.5495 set Tuesday.

The 15-nation euro fell back to $1.5490 — still above the $1.5486 it bought in New York late Tuesday.

"The positive dollar impact of yesterday's coordinated central bank operations is already proving unsustainable as the U.S. currency falls across the board," said Ashraf Laidi, the chief foreign exchange strategist for CMC Markets in New York.

Traders were also weighing a report from Zawya Dow Jones that said the United Arab Emirates was deciding whether to continue pegging its currency to the plummeting U.S. dollar.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8vc0p680&date=20080312

Hmm aparently I am not alone in my figuring on the junl loan bailout by the feds.

and read that last paragraph....

also from the link:

In January, Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Hamed bin Jassem Al Thani said his country was also reconsidering its link to the dollar.

Wednesday March 12, 12:59 PM EDT

FRANKFURT, Germany (AP) — Skepticism about the latest U.S. Federal Reserve Bank plan to restore calm to jittery global credit markets dropped the dollar to new lows, with the euro pushing past $1.55 for the first time ever Wednesday.

The Fed on Tuesday announced a rescue package that would pour as much as $200 billion into banks and investment houses, in concert with help from the European Central Bank along with central banks in Britain, Switzerland and Canada.

Concerns the Fed action may be outweighed by U.S. economic difficulties gained strength in trading Wednesday, halting a euro slide and pushing it instead to a record high of $1.5513, surpassing its previous record of $1.5495 set Tuesday.

The 15-nation euro fell back to $1.5490 — still above the $1.5486 it bought in New York late Tuesday.

"The positive dollar impact of yesterday's coordinated central bank operations is already proving unsustainable as the U.S. currency falls across the board," said Ashraf Laidi, the chief foreign exchange strategist for CMC Markets in New York.

Traders were also weighing a report from Zawya Dow Jones that said the United Arab Emirates was deciding whether to continue pegging its currency to the plummeting U.S. dollar.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8vc0p680&date=20080312

LOL... that is kind of funny...

I don't think it was "skepticism" that caused the drop in the dollar. It more than likely due to... oh I don't know.... the US pumping another $200 billion of fiat money into the system compared to the corresponding $46 billion (approx) being pumped into the system by the central banks in Europe.

I thought we had already recently "pumped" close to 200 bill or so into the banking system ?

I do not have the exact totals, but I would guess that it is closer to $350 billion of new money at this point (since the mid part of 2007). This is in addition to what has already been pumped in.

Yeah and about 500 bill for pending rebates and such to private citizens and corps ?

263 billion for the federal defecit for the first 5 mos of the fiscal year.

How can we keep this up ?

Yeah and about 500 bill for pending rebates and such to private citizens and corps ?

263 billion for the federal defecit for the first 5 mos of the fiscal year.

How can we keep this up ?

I am assuming that was a rhetorical question.

But just in case it wasn't... the answer is... we cannot.

yeah pretty much reheotical, but the main reason why I don't think the govt can control what is coming. Well that coupled with their not having as much control as in the past because of the global economy.

I don't think we can spend our way out of this one.

Back