Everyone ignoring Connecticut's Prop 8 which FAILED

Robdawg

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Voters in Connecticut are deciding whether to call a convention to amend the state's constitution, a move opponents of gay marriage hope to use to keep that issue alive.

With 25 percent of precincts reporting, voters were rejecting the proposal, 61 percent to 39 percent.

Connecticut voters are asked every 20 years whether the state should hold a convention during which delegates can rewrite the entire constitution.

Proponents hope to pass an amendment that would allow citizens the opportunity to bypass the Legislature and petition for changes in state law through direct ballot initiatives

They said they view it as the easiest path toward overturning last month's state Supreme Court ruling that found banning gay marriage unconstitutional. Connecticut is the third state, after Massachusetts and California, to offer gay marriage, with the first unions scheduled as early as Nov. 12.

Others hope to use initiative and referendum to amend the state's eminent domain laws, cap property taxes, impose term limits or impose mandatory life sentences for certain violent crimes.

Opponents point out the constitution can be more easily amended through legislation, a process they said weeds out fringe issues.

http://www.wfsb.com/politics/17894516/detail.html

Clearly we can't even talk about this issue anymore because California, which, as we all know, is the most liberal place in the world, banned gay marriage by a small margin.

constitutional conventions are scary. You might not end up with what you really want and quite possibly could end up losing things in other places. best to deal with plain amendments.

constitutional conventions are best left as last resorts before violent rebellion.

Clearly we can't even talk about this issue anymore because California, which, as we all know, is the most liberal place in the world, banned gay marriage by a small margin.

I actually felt a little sad when I read some of the propositions. A lot of them infringed on people's personal rights and should have been left up to the masses.

That's quite a complicated procedure to change the Constitution of Connecticut.

I prefer a petition procedure.

That's quite a complicated procedure to change the Constitution of Connecticut.

I prefer a petition procedure.

well it was mostly an effort by the churches (they all had vote yes signs)

it mainly was an effort by the right to ban gay marriage which has become legal in the state. we are slated to begin issuing marriage licenses to gay couples on November 8th

Back