Evolution in action

July 28, 2004: "The failure of the Iraqi state would be a disaster. It would dishonor the 900-plus men and women who have already died. It would be a betrayal of the promise that we made to the Iraqi people, and it would be hugely destabilizing from a national security perspective." 2007: "Let me be clear: There is no military solution in Iraq. There never was. The best way to protect our security and to pressure Iraq's leaders to resolve their civil war is to immediately begin to remove our combat troops. Not in six months or one year, now."

2007: "There was something stirring across the country because of what happened in Selma, Alabama," he said, "because some folks are willing to march across a bridge. So they got together and Barack Obama Jr. was born. So don't tell me I don't have a claim on Selma, Alabama. Don't tell me I'm not coming home to Selma, Alabama". 2008: "I meant the whole civil rights movement.”

2004: "I think we need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws."
2007: "But I'm not somebody who believes in legalization of marijuana".

2003: "I happen to be a proponent of single-payer universal healthcare coverage. That’s what I’d like to see." 2008: "I never said that we should try to go ahead and get single-payer.”

Back