Ex-Swift Boaters Donate to McCain

uscitizen

Villified User
By Fredreka Schouten,
USA Today

WASHINGTON (July 1) - Republican John McCain, who four years ago condemned independent ads challenging Democrat John Kerry's military record, has accepted nearly $70,000 for his presidential campaign from the top donors of the group behind the attack ads and their relatives, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

That's nearly four times the amount McCain received from those donors in the 14 years before launching his current campaign at the end of 2006, campaign finance records show.

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/ex-swift-boaters-donate-to-mccain/20080701091309990001

I wonder how the swiftvets feel about "swiftboat" becoming part of the permanent campaign jargon, in a pretty negative way...

I wonder how the swiftvets feel about "swiftboat" becoming part of the permanent campaign jargon, in a pretty negative way...

I think there was an article in one of today's big papers addressing just that issue. The overall jist was they aren't too happy about it.

Edit: It may have been yesterday's paper.

By Fredreka Schouten,
USA Today

WASHINGTON (July 1) - Republican John McCain, who four years ago condemned independent ads challenging Democrat John Kerry's military record, has accepted nearly $70,000 for his presidential campaign from the top donors of the group behind the attack ads and their relatives, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

That's nearly four times the amount McCain received from those donors in the 14 years before launching his current campaign at the end of 2006, campaign finance records show.

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/ex-swift-boaters-donate-to-mccain/20080701091309990001

Political contributions I don't really care about, nor endorsements. But not only has McCain received funds from the SBVFT scumbags, but one of those assholes was McCain's go to guy to respond to Wesley Clark's comment just yesterday.

Indeed, in the course of defending McCain against so-called "attacks" on John McCain's service (there was none), some other guy had this to say about Wesley Clark's military service:

"General Clark probably wouldn't get that much praise from this group. I can't speak for them, but we all know that General Clark, as high-ranking as he is, his record in his last command I think was somewhat less than stellar."

Did anyone hear Clark whining like a five year-old over this comment? Of course not.

McCain is the whiniest candidate for political office I've ever heard of. The Straight Talk Express needs to be re-branded the Whaaaaaambulance.

Yuck. I just did a search on it, and the 1st thing that came up was Michelle Malkin's column, slamming the Times and urging her readers not to attack the "good name" of war veterans everywhere by turning "swiftboat" into a synonym for "smear," when it should mean exposing the "cold hard truth" about a candidate that the mainstream media would otherwise ignore.

I'd love to hear her explain to me how over 200 swiftvets who never even laid eyes on Kerry in Vietnam have a better read on what happened to him there than the guys who were actually on his boat, and the official Navy reports.

Like I say the swiftboat guys earned the negative rep.

Now they are trying to weasel out, how Republican.

Like I say the swiftboat guys earned the negative rep.

Now they are trying to weasel out, how Republican.

Yes but the story is from the viewpoint of the thousands of swiftboat veterans who did NOT participate in the swiftboat vets for bs campaign usc. They are the ones who feel that their service has been smeared by the couple of hundred who did participate. And I feel badly for them.

Yes but the story is from the viewpoint of the thousands of swiftboat veterans who did NOT participate in the swiftboat vets for bs campaign usc. They are the ones who feel that their service has been smeared by the couple of hundred who did participate. And I feel badly for them.

Ohh yeah I agree, well that is how it goes a few bad apples can spoil the whole barrel, the good ones should whip up on the bad ones.

I don't know; I guess I have to find that article. "Swiftboat" now means smear because of the campaign run by the SVFT; when people use it that way, I think it's pretty much universally understood that it refers to the SVFT and their campaign, and not to everyone who served on a swiftboat in Vietnam.

I don't really see how it sullies the name of all swiftboat veterans.

I don't know; I guess I have to find that article. "Swiftboat" now means smear because of the campaign run by the SVFT; when people use it that way, I think it's pretty much universally understood that it refers to the SVFT and their campaign, and not to everyone who served on a swiftboat in Vietnam.

I don't really see how it sullies the name of all swiftboat veterans.

I think their issue is the term is getting used regularly (or becoming used more regularly) in politics now, "They are attempting to swiftboat him/her".

Back