Farm Bill

cawacko

I admit to not knowing everything about the farm bill but can someone explain to me how it overrode a Presidential veto? Does anyone here support the bill and can explain why or someone who at least knows the position of those who support state so?

From what I've read it seems to be a bad bill both economically and environmentally. On the surface it seems it's just politicians pandering to farmers. Is that it or is there more to it than that?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:5:./temp/~c110YS8xnk::

Basically the bill extended agricultural programs thru 2012. Most of the programs already exist, and have existed for a long time. Some programs were modified, but not to any great degree. There are objections to the continued subsidy of commodities such as sugar.

I would say it speaks a lot that the override votes went through as fast as they did, needing little additional campaigning done on the bill's behalf before the override vote was taken. That indicates the bill had strong support from both parties, an event unusual in the politics of today.

I admit to not knowing everything about the farm bill but can someone explain to me how it overrode a Presidential veto? Does anyone here support the bill and can explain why or someone who at least knows the position of those who support state so?

From what I've read it seems to be a bad bill both economically and environmentally. On the surface it seems it's just politicians pandering to farmers. Is that it or is there more to it than that?

it is generic pork to 'win' farm states votes

does the nation need it, no, but the politicians do...

so just bend over and crack a smile while the politicians do what politicians do best - ensure their re-election or at least do not get the farm states mad at them

oh well:(

Back