• Poll closed .

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
should we fear or respect our government

should the government fear or respect the citizens

it says 'we the people' but more often it is we the wealthy

Last edited:
The way people and government view each other should not be 100% reciprocal. Thus, your poll is tard.

I voted "mutual benefit" without really thinking things through. Mutual benefit is the type of relationship I have with a favorite business, or my insurance company. I benefit them with the profits derived from my business, I benefit from them for their goods and/or services.

But mutual benefit with GOVERNMENT?!? What the f*$^ was I thinking? Must have downed one too many porters last night.

The government is there for OUR benefit, period. We are NOT here for THEIR benefit under ANY circumstances.

As for respect, sorry. I will respect the symbol of the offices held within government, and will respect those very few politicians who earn my respect. But as for government as a whole, the people are MUCH better off holding a standing suspicion toward the actions and motivations of government as a body. (and toward most of those involved in government.)

And fear? I REFUSE to fear my government. I may "fear" for what some elected officials may do, but government itself I do not and will not fear. But they had BETTER fear the people - as we are about two gnat's eyelashes away from a full blown revolt against both parties and the blind partisan crap they bring with them.

Cow to be milked? That is a problem with some who follow the entitlement philosophy. And there is no doubt some (most?) in the government view the people as cows to be milked. But, of course, that is not how it SHOULD be.

I'd have to agree with Beefy: the relationship between the people and a democratic republic form of government is not a reciprocal relationship. The way the people SHOULD view government is as a barely-controlled work horse, to be watched suspiciously and whacked as needed. And the way the government SHOULD view the people is with respect toward their master.

Man, what a full blown brain fart I had when I voted!!!

I believe that the government is there to do what people cannot do individually or with small groups, the level should depend upon the complexity of the issue. Thus intracity, intracounty, intrastate, differ substantially from issues on the interstate or national level. In all cases, the least government interference/action the better.

i left that tricky word should in the title for a reason

i will rerun this poll with more options and a different question

I believe that the government is there to do what people cannot do individually or with small groups, the level should depend upon the complexity of the issue. Thus intracity, intracounty, intrastate, differ substantially from issues on the interstate or national level. In all cases, the least government interference/action the better.

Then anarchy would be best.

I voted "mutual benefit" without really thinking things through. Mutual benefit is the type of relationship I have with a favorite business, or my insurance company. I benefit them with the profits derived from my business, I benefit from them for their goods and/or services.

But mutual benefit with GOVERNMENT?!? What the f*$^ was I thinking? Must have downed one too many porters last night.

The government is there for OUR benefit, period. We are NOT here for THEIR benefit under ANY circumstances.

As for respect, sorry. I will respect the symbol of the offices held within government, and will respect those very few politicians who earn my respect. But as for government as a whole, the people are MUCH better off holding a standing suspicion toward the actions and motivations of government as a body. (and toward most of those involved in government.)

And fear? I REFUSE to fear my government. I may "fear" for what some elected officials may do, but government itself I do not and will not fear. But they had BETTER fear the people - as we are about two gnat's eyelashes away from a full blown revolt against both parties and the blind partisan crap they bring with them.

Cow to be milked? That is a problem with some who follow the entitlement philosophy. And there is no doubt some (most?) in the government view the people as cows to be milked. But, of course, that is not how it SHOULD be.

I'd have to agree with Beefy: the relationship between the people and a democratic republic form of government is not a reciprocal relationship. The way the people SHOULD view government is as a barely-controlled work horse, to be watched suspiciously and whacked as needed. And the way the government SHOULD view the people is with respect toward their master.

Man, what a full blown brain fart I had when I voted!!!

dang, someone who actually reads my posts

it was a trap, government is to protect and SERVE the citizens

yet it seems too often that the people governing us (including civil servants) think of us as their servants to provide and serve them

while i tend to agree with you, people in small or larger groups rarely can agree on what is good for the whole

what about product safety? do we let the providers govern themselves - this has been seen to fail whenever tried - there will always be those that try to cut corners that should not be cut - and those that do not and are overcome by those that do

whatever happened to employer/employee mutual respect or providing a good product at a good price - those people seem to be going out of business

while i tend to agree with you, people in small or larger groups rarely can agree on what is good for the whole

what about product safety? do we let the providers govern themselves - this has been seen to fail whenever tried - there will always be those that try to cut corners that should not be cut - and those that do not and are overcome by those that do

whatever happened to employer/employee mutual respect or providing a good product at a good price - those people seem to be going out of business

I suppose my tendency towards product safety or most of the regulations, would be to not try to regulate tort reform. IF the producers were financially whacked for gross negligence or indifference for life in the real instances, there probably never would have been the nonsense lawsuits ala McDonald's coffee temperature-ie., there wouldn't be so many liability lawyers. But that didn't happen and now when you buy a toaster there are warnings about not using water or metal objects with it. So now we find ourselves, me included, calling for tort reform.

The government should fear the people and the people should be suspicious of the government.

That is what keeps a true healthy democracy running smooth.

I suppose my tendency towards product safety or most of the regulations, would be to not try to regulate tort reform. IF the producers were financially whacked for gross negligence or indifference for life in the real instances, there probably never would have been the nonsense lawsuits ala McDonald's coffee temperature-ie., there wouldn't be so many liability lawyers. But that didn't happen and now when you buy a toaster there are warnings about not using water or metal objects with it. So now we find ourselves, me included, calling for tort reform.

i bought and had installed GFCI sockets...kitchen, bathrooms and laundry

have filters on my water with a to be added ozone generator to purify the water

have electro-static filter in forced air system - to be added UVA + UVB light

just because i am paranoid does not mean that they are not out to get me, even if it is by incompetence or neglect

few people want to take personal responsibility for their actions

A cow to be milked. Is a business makes bad choices (ie are stupid) they can just get the gummit to bail em out.

The government should fear the people and the people should be suspicious of the government.

That is what keeps a true healthy democracy running smooth.

mutual respect helps, but how about civil servants that are there for the people, i do run in them occasionally

fear sucks, either by the people or their government

love is the answer:)...and if you do not agree i will vile you...:eek:

take care

Back