Federal Judge Rules Against Biden Admin Attack on Free Speech | Scheerpost

Scott

Verified User
A bit of good news...

July 5, 2023

The temporary injunction bars government agencies from suppressing free speech.

By Diego Ramos / Original to ScheerPost

Judge Terry Doughty of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana ruled that several federal agencies and officials from the Biden administration cannot collaborate with social media companies in restricting certain speech.

Doughty wrote in his introduction to the ruling, “If the allegations made by Plaintiffs are true, the present case arguably involves the most massive attack against free speech in United States’ history.”

The ruling states officials and agencies from the Biden administration are restrained from communicating with social media firms “for the purpose of urging, encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech posted on social-media platforms.”

The ruling does not restrict the government from speaking to companies regarding criminal activity, national security threats, voter suppression, foreign attempts to influence elections and other malicious activity.

The lawsuit brings up issues such as COVID-19 health policies, the origins of the pandemic, election security, Hunter Biden’s laptop and others as those targeted for suppression.

Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey described the case as the “most important First Amendment lawsuit in a generation.”

Doughty wrote in the ruling, “The Plaintiffs have presented substantial evidence in support of their claims that they were the victims of a far-reaching and widespread censorship campaign,” and, “This court finds that they are likely to succeed on the merits of their First Amendment free speech claim against the Defendants.”

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry said in a statement, “The evidence in our case is shocking and offensive with senior federal officials deciding that they could dictate what Americans can and cannot say on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other platforms about COVID-19, elections, criticism of the government, and more.”

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre, Director of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas and other State Department and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) officials were named in the injunction.

Doughty also likened the evidence to a dystopian scenario. Specifically, “During the COVID-19 pandemic, a period perhaps best characterized by widespread doubt and uncertainty, the United States Government seems to have assumed a role similar to an Orwellian ‘Ministry of Truth.’”

Republican U.S. Sen. Eric Schmitt said the ruling is “a huge win for the First Amendment and a blow to censorship.” Schmitt was the Missouri attorney general when the suit was filed.

A report from the Wall Street Journal claims lawyers involved in the case say, “Never before has a federal judge set such sweeping limits on how the federal government may communicate with online platforms, according to lawyers involved in the case.”

Full article:
Federal Judge Rules Against Biden Admin Attack on Free Speech | Scheerpost

Exactly.

Creating a fake Fauci Twitter account telling people not to get vaccinated, is just a little harmless free speech.

I certainly believe that no one should be vaccinated, but if the Twitter account was getting people believing that it was the real Fauci, I think that'd be going too far. I have noted that there is a Twitter account called FakeFauciMD that is still suspended on Twitter despite Elon Musk now running it:

https://twitter.com/FakeFauciMD

That account literally has "Fake" in its name though, so I can't see how that one could be considered to be genuinely trying to impersonate Fauci.

I certainly believe that no one should be vaccinated, but if the Twitter account was getting people believing that it was the real Fauci, I think that'd be going too far. I have noted that there is a Twitter account called FakeFauciMD that is still suspended on Twitter despite Elon Musk now running it:

https://twitter.com/FakeFauciMD

That account literally has "Fake" in its name though, so I can't see how that one could be considered to be genuinely trying to impersonate Fauci.

You can't see how anyone could do that, huh?

Okay.

You are allowed to underestimate the stupidity of the average American MAGA conservative.

You can't see how anyone could do that, huh?

Okay.

You are allowed to underestimate the stupidity of the average American MAGA conservative.

As you may know, I've never been a fan of Trump, but I'm skeptical that they wouldn't be able to figure out that someone called "FakeFauciMD" wasn't a fake Fauci account.

That being said, I've now seen that there was at least one twitter user that had a twitter handle that wasn't obviously a fake Fauci account. So perhaps that's the twitter account that Althea was referring to.

As you may know, I've never been a fan of Trump, but I'm skeptical that they wouldn't be able to figure out that someone called "FakeFauciMD" wasn't a fake Fauci account.

Yes, Phoenyx, I understand that you are "skeptical" that they would not be able to figure that out. As I suggested, you are allowed to underestimate the stupidity of the average American MAGA conservative...which, unfortunately, is what you are doing with that skepticism.

That being said, I've now seen that there was at least one twitter user that had a twitter handle that wasn't obviously a fake Fauci account. So perhaps that's the twitter account that Althea was referring to.

I am sure that is what she was referencing.

Yes, Phoenyx, I understand that you are "skeptical" that they would not be able to figure that out. As I suggested, you are allowed to underestimate the stupidity of the average American MAGA conservative...which, unfortunately, is what you are doing with that skepticism.

I am sure that is what she was referencing.

I've been told that Althea is actually a guy. I think Althea is in reference to a pet of his, a cat I think.

I've been told that Althea is actually a guy. I think Althea is in reference to a pet of his, a cat I think.

Oh, thanks. I cannot remember who is male and who is female with all these weird names. In another forum where I post, one of my long time (over 20 years) friends is someone who uses Phoenix as her screen name. I think of that every time I see one of your posts.

Althea is a phony shit stain that chose the name because the moron thought quoting a Grateful Dead song would make his sociopathy more real to people

Althea is a phony shit stain that chose the name because the moron thought quoting a Grateful Dead song would make his sociopathy more real to people

I think Althea has me blocked, but I don't see him the way you do. I think we actually agreed on a few things before he decided to block me, though I may be confusing him with someone else. In any case, I never got to the point with him where I felt I should thread ban him from my threads. That's not the case for 8 posters here.

Back