Finland, Gunman in a School.

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080923/D93CDB600.html

Sep 23, 7:36 AM (ET)

By MATTI HUUHTANEN

HELSINKI, Finland (AP) - A gunman opened fire at a vocational school for adults in western Finland on Tuesday before shooting himself, police said. Finnish media reported nine people were killed and the gunman was wounded.

The shootings began just before 11 a.m. local time as about 150 students went to class in Kauhajoki, 180 miles northwest of Helsinki. Witnesses said panic broke out as the hooded gunman entered the school and began firing.

"Within a short space of time I heard several dozen rounds of shots, in other words it was an automatic pistol," school janitor Jukka Forsberg told broadcaster YLE. "I saw some female students who were wailing and moaning and one managed to escape out of the back door."

YLE, citing police at the school, reported nine people were killed. The Finnish news agency STT said the school building was on fire and the gunman reportedly had explosives on him.

More at link..

I don't know, I thought there were no guns there because they were illegal and we all know the magic power of gun laws.

How is it the guy only managed to wound himself? At least US school shooters are competent enough to successfully commit suicide and not leave us with the cost of a trial...

How is it the guy only managed to wound himself? At least US school shooters are competent enough to successfully commit suicide and not leave us with the cost of a trial...
Okay, it turns out he finally died from his wounds while in the hospital, but still...

I hate to interrupt the circle jerk, but by european standards Finland has virtually the most lenient gun laws in europe, and one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the developed world. I think its the only european country that allows children to own firearms. The only reason I know this, is some Rontard told me a while back; believe me I'm not obsessed with guns.

I realize with the collapse of Con ideology there is a need to grasp around to try to find something rightwingers have been right about (gun control!), but this ain't it.

Carry on. Cons must have been right about something, but I'm coming up blank.

I hate to interrupt the circle jerk, but by european standards Finland has virtually the most lenient gun laws in europe, and one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the developed world. I think its the only european country that allows children to own firearms. The only reason I know this, is some Rontard told me a while back; believe me I'm not obsessed with guns.

I realize with the collapse of Con ideology there is a need to grasp around to try to find something rightwingers have been right about (gun control!), but this ain't it.

Carry on. Cons must have been right about something, but I'm coming up blank.
The only difference between them and the rest of the EU is the age allowed to apply for a permit. And that had no impact on this as the guy was older than 18 to begin with.

This is one of the weakest posts I have seen from Captain Disingenuous. You can sit around and pretend that strict limits on guns stops bad people from doing bad things, but you'd be wrong.

don't get mad at me damo. I'm just telling you what rontards told me: Finland has something like the second highest gun ownership in the developed world.

Calm down Frances. You're projecting again with the captain disingenuous stuff. I think someone mentioned your projection could be the topic of a psychology dissertation.

don't get mad at me damo. I'm just telling you what rontards told me: Finland has something like the second highest gun ownership in the developed world.

Calm down Frances. You're projecting again with the captain disingenuous stuff. I think someone mentioned your projection could be the topic of a psychology dissertation.
What are you crying about now? Oh, you think I'm "mad". No, I'm not mad. I just like to point out how you try so hard to impress people with Phail and disingenuous monotony. I quite enjoy your visits and pointing out the general stupidity in your posts. Seriously, the only difference between their laws and others is the age limit and it didn't even apply to this.

Gun control laws don't stop bad people from doing bad things, except in the magical world of Cypress' brain where reality never shines its light.

Okay, cool 'bro.

I can't talk about guns anymore. They ain't my bag. So, I'm outta here.

But, I'm going to try to visit Finland next year (I have friends in Denmark), and I'll let you know if they have any cool gun shows there.

Okay, cool 'bro.

I can't talk about guns anymore. They ain't my bag. So, I'm outta here.

But, I'm going to try to visit Finland next year (I have friends in Denmark), and I'll let you know if they have any cool gun shows there.
You do that. I'd be interested to know.

google is your friend.

n Finland there are 32 privately owned firearms per 100 civilians according to the Finnish Ministry of the Interior[1][2]. By the end of 2006 there were somewhat over 1.6 million licensed firearms and spread among Finland's population of 5.3 million it comes to 30.5 per 100 people. Unlicensed firearms are estimated at around 1.5 per 100. There are some 650,000 firearms permit holders in Finland. 60% of firearm permits are issued for hunting weapons[3]. There are an estimated 290,000 handguns, which comes to 5.5 per 100 civilians[5]. Permits are not required for muzzle-loaded black powder guns made before 1890 as long as they are not used. Captured guns from World War 2 are thought to constitute the largest share of illegal firearms.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Finland"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Finland[/ame]

Back