Flat tax

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
I could easily give up a progressive tax. It wouldn't be a big deal for me.

So what about a flat 20%, with poverty line deductions, a deduction on savings (until withdrawn), applying equally to all income? This would honestly be an easy issue for the Democrats to hammer on. They'd win in a landslide. And the tax would provide enough income for universal healthcare, as well.

So what about a flat 20%, with poverty line deductions, a deduction on savings (until withdrawn), applying equally to all income? This would honestly be an easy issue for the Democrats to hammer on. They'd win in a landslide.

I would support 20% on all income over $45,000 for a family of five, with an additional $3,000 exemption per child after that. But Democrats will never support it. They've attacked the flat tax for years, arguing that it is "regressive" (when in fact it would be more progressive than the current system).

And the tax would provide enough income for universal healthcare, as well.

Debatable...

So what about a flat 20%, with poverty line deductions, a deduction on savings (until withdrawn), applying equally to all income? This would honestly be an easy issue for the Democrats to hammer on. They'd win in a landslide. And the tax would provide enough income for universal healthcare, as well.

I have posted the following several times before, but here it goes again....

"It is time for this country to become fiscally responsible. The national debt has increased every fiscal year since 1960. What has happened to the responsibility of the two parties? Both like to point the blame at the other, but in reality neither have been responsible fiscally. It is time for a change. Let’s begin with our tax code. It should be simple enough that the average person can understand it. It should not be filled with thousands of loopholes and deductions. Let us push for the flat tax with a standard deduction and nothing more.

Start with a standard deduction of $30k (adjusted for inflation annually) for each adult and then tax every dollar over that $30k at 20%. This is simple, easy to understand, fair and progressive. It protects the low-income individuals and couples from paying federal income taxes. It provides the middle-income families a lower effective tax rate than the wealthy. This plan would encompass ALL income, including earned income, capital gains and dividend income.

A person making $30k pays an effective rate of 0%.

A person making $50k pays an effective rate of 8%.

A person making $100k pays an effective rate of 14%.

A person making $200k pays en effective rate of 17%.

A person making $1mm pays an effective rate of 19.4%

Everyone has the same deduction and takes it. Which causes the effective tax rate to increase the more you make.

To reduce the national debt I would propose we add an additional temporary bracket to the flat tax. Every dollar over $1 million (again adjusted for inflation annually) would be taxed at 30% rather than 20%. The additional 10% would be mandated to pay down the debt.
It is our responsibility to pay our own way and not dump trillions of dollars of debt on future generations. We need to begin electing leaders that are fiscally responsible. The future of our nation depends upon it. We are our own worst enemy. It will be our ever-increasing debt that leads to our demise. We must act now. "

No deductions period. and on savings, I expect it would be a cheaper tax rate to pay the tax up front.

You have to have a standard deduction. Otherwise it would never pass. Because you would be in effect RAISING taxes on the poorest in the country should you have no deduction. Have a standard deduction high enough to protect the poor/low income families and that is it. Nothing more.

"It is time for this country to become fiscally responsible. The national debt has increased every fiscal year since 1960. What has happened to the responsibility of the two parties? Both like to point the blame at the other, but in reality neither have been responsible fiscally. It is time for a change. Let’s begin with our tax code. It should be simple enough that the average person can understand it. It should not be filled with thousands of loopholes and deductions. Let us push for the flat tax with a standard deduction and nothing more.

Start with a standard deduction of $30k (adjusted for inflation annually) for each adult and then tax every dollar over that $30k at 20%. This is simple, easy to understand, fair and progressive. It protects the low-income individuals and couples from paying federal income taxes. It provides the middle-income families a lower effective tax rate than the wealthy. This plan would encompass ALL income, including earned income, capital gains and dividend income.

Everyone has the same deduction and takes it. Which causes the effective tax rate to increase the more you make.

To reduce the national debt I would propose we add an additional temporary bracket to the flat tax. Every dollar over $1 million (again adjusted for inflation annually) would be taxed at 30% rather than 20%. The additional 10% would be mandated to pay down the debt.
It is our responsibility to pay our own way and not dump trillions of dollars of debt on future generations. We need to begin electing leaders that are fiscally responsible. The future of our nation depends upon it. We are our own worst enemy. It will be our ever-increasing debt that leads to our demise. We must act now. "

Well thought out fair and progressive and paying down the debt.
Has zero chance because it makes to much sense, both parties are too far of on both sides.

You have to have a standard deduction. Otherwise it would never pass. Because you would be in effect RAISING taxes on the poorest in the country should you have no deduction. Have a standard deduction high enough to protect the poor/low income families and that is it. Nothing more.

It will never pass anyway. HR block and similiar parasitic outfits will block it.
Damned CPA's.

Well thought out fair and progressive and paying down the debt.
Has zero chance because it makes to much sense, both parties are too far of on both sides.

I have sent this same thing to both of CO's Senators. I would suggest others do the same. Obviously the numbers I used are arbitrary, but it should provide the structure that even the idiots in DC couldn't screw up.

We ARE going to get a comprehensive energy policy. People are demanding that now with energy prices as high as they are. For this to pass, we need to get more people aware of how much simpler their lives would be under a tax code like the one I propose.

I do not expect it will be a hot topic anytime soon with energy, the economy and Iraq/Afghanistan on the plate. But I will continue to push this and annoy my representatives every chance I get with it.

I could very much get behind that, except the studies I have seen from prior flat tax proposals indicate 20% is larger than needed. A study I read back in the Bush v Clinton presidential race concluded that a 15% rate on all income above a standard deduction (they proposed additional deductions per child in a family also) would result in significant larger total revenues over the rates in place at the time for the tax year being studied. The reason being that a LOT of money in tax shelters would be taxed that is not taxed under the current system.

Of course the national debt has gone way up since then and will take some more to pay down, but unless you're thinking of funding some high expense programs above what we already have, 20% is more than we need.

I have sent this same thing to both of CO's Senators. I would suggest others do the same. Obviously the numbers I used are arbitrary, but it should provide the structure that even the idiots in DC couldn't screw up.

We ARE going to get a comprehensive energy policy. People are demanding that now with energy prices as high as they are. For this to pass, we need to get more people aware of how much simpler their lives would be under a tax code like the one I propose.

I do not expect it will be a hot topic anytime soon with energy, the economy and Iraq/Afghanistan on the plate. But I will continue to push this and annoy my representatives every chance I get with it.

80% unfortunatley want more drilling, I think far too many maybe 60% are happy with soak the rich plan the dems want.

Good going! We need to get a lot of people on board willing to spend the few minutes a month (and even a few stamps since snail mail is still more effective in gaining attention) "bothering" their legislators with a flat tax proposal.

Maybe a flat tax web site could be started with info about how it works, what the results would be, and contact links letting people simply click and send a basic pre-composed message saying they want their legislators to support the flat tax plan.

I could very much get behind that, except the studies I have seen from prior flat tax proposals indicate 20% is larger than needed. A study I read back in the Bush v Clinton presidential race concluded that a 15% rate on all income above a standard deduction (they proposed additional deductions per child in a family also) would result in significant larger total revenues over the rates in place at the time for the tax year being studied. The reason being that a LOT of money in tax shelters would be taxed that is not taxed under the current system.

Of course the national debt has gone way up since then and will take some more to pay down, but unless you're thinking of funding some high expense programs above what we already have, 20% is more than we need.

See my post directly above this one.

Good going! We need to get a lot of people on board willing to spend the few minutes a month (and even a few stamps since snail mail is still more effective in gaining attention) "bothering" their legislators with a flat tax proposal.

Maybe a flat tax web site could be started with info about how it works, what the results would be, and contact links letting people simply click and send a basic pre-composed message saying they want their legislators to support the flat tax plan.

Agreed. Though my knowledge of web-page development falls right in line with a rock. So it would have to be someone who has that ability. I would be happy to write the content if someone wants to create the site. Then we can blast it around myspace, facebook etc... to get the ball rolling.

I usually use the Senate/House websites to email my suggestions to my representatives. I would encourage others to do the same.

Super and I are on the same sheet of music with this one. I would split the baby between SF and GL and make it a 17% tax and let the finance majors show me where the cut off should be as far as income. I like 30k per adult and some OTHER amount per children. I would keep the additional 10% on everything over 1 mil, with a provision to suspend it when we don't need it, ie should we balance our books. I think this plan would finance the government's operation.

Agreed. Though my knowledge of web-page development falls right in line with a rock. So it would have to be someone who has that ability. I would be happy to write the content if someone wants to create the site. Then we can blast it around myspace, facebook etc... to get the ball rolling.

I usually use the Senate/House websites to email my suggestions to my representatives. I would encourage others to do the same.
Well, my knowledge of web page design is about two levels lower than yours, but would be willing to assist in research.

It would be great if we could get some knowledgeable people on board. Get the figures solid so the suggested flat rate yields a greater (but not TOO much) total revenues for a given tax year compared to the current tax scheme, and also compared to the proposed tax schemes of the current presidential race.

I would also suggest pushing a snail mail campaign. Research shows those to be much more attention grabbing. 100,000 physical letters is a heck of a lot more to deal with than an e-mail list 100,000 long. There are certain suggestion to make such a campaign more effective, such as using envelopes with a standardized logo so they are easily recognizable as supporting a specific campaign. Just put the logo on the website and people can print it out and paste it to a standard envelope. Or maybe even make it available as an envelope template that they could print straight to an envelope using their printer - to include the address of their selected legislator.

So, know anyone who would support the flat tax that DOES know web page design? Sorry to say no one I know fits the bill. (Comes from being a reclusive retired grunt, I guess....)

Well, my knowledge of web page design is about two levels lower than yours, but would be willing to assist in research.

It would be great if we could get some knowledgeable people on board. Get the figures solid so the suggested flat rate yields a greater (but not TOO much) total revenues for a given tax year compared to the current tax scheme, and also compared to the proposed tax schemes of the current presidential race.

I would also suggest pushing a snail mail campaign. Research shows those to be much more attention grabbing. 100,000 physical letters is a heck of a lot more to deal with than an e-mail list 100,000 long. There are certain suggestion to make such a campaign more effective, such as using envelopes with a standardized logo so they are easily recognizable as supporting a specific campaign. Just put the logo on the website and people can print it out and paste it to a standard envelope. Or maybe even make it available as an envelope template that they could print straight to an envelope using their printer - to include the address of their selected legislator.

So, know anyone who would support the flat tax that DOES know web page design? Sorry to say no one I know fits the bill. (Comes from being a reclusive retired grunt, I guess....)
If you guys REALLY want to get this off the ground say for the next mid-terms, I would suggest that you form a non-profit. Call it Citizens for a Flat Tax or the Tax Fairness Society, whatever, and start raising some cash donations. Then PAY someone to put together a really professional website with an .org address. I would be willing to kick in some funds and I bet we could find a considerable amount of people who would as well. Hell we could even put in a tax calculator and show people the difference in their taxes under the current gun in your face method and the flat tax. If people can SEE that it will save them money they are much more likely to jump on board.

Back