"For centuries, philosophers have dreamed of possible worlds."

BidenPresident

Verified User
Every life contains pain. Even the perfect life, the life where you have everything you want, hides its own unique struggles. Writing in The Genealogy of Morals (1887), Friedrich Nietzsche said: ‘Man, the bravest animal and most prone to suffer, does not deny suffering as such: he wills it, he even seeks it out, provided he is shown a meaning for it, a purpose of suffering.’ A life apparently perfect but devoid of meaning, no matter how comfortable, is a kind of hell.

https://aeon.co/essays/multiple-worlds-has-been-given-artistic-impetus-by-physics

For centuries, philosophers have dreamed of possible worlds. But only with the advent of quantum physics and the need to interpret its counterintuitive predictions did it appear that these possibilities might be real. Introduced in the 1950s by a graduate student, Hugh Everett, to little fanfare, and promoted in the 1970s by the physicist Bryce DeWitt, the ‘many-worlds’ interpretation of physics has captured the public imagination and flowered a burst of art and culture. Born out of a need to interpret the behaviour of the smallest building blocks of our Universe, quantum physics has powered a cultural conversation from the depths of academic philosophy and science, to the pinnacle of Hollywood’s elite.

https://aeon.co/essays/multiple-worlds-has-been-given-artistic-impetus-by-physics

"The many-worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum physics, on the other hand, says that all possible worlds exist, and the one we live in is no different from any of the others. According to one form of this belief, somewhere out there is an exact duplicate of you, your house, your family, but one small detail is different, perhaps something as tiny as a stray photon that went left instead of right, or maybe something big like you have a different significant other. Maybe a stray cosmic ray hit your DNA before you were born, and you have red hair instead of brown, or you developed a serious birth defect. Maybe you don’t exist at all."

Introduced in the 1950s by a graduate student, Hugh Everett, to little fanfare, and promoted in the 1970s by the physicist Bryce DeWitt, the ‘many-worlds’ interpretation of physics has captured the public imagination
No, it might have captured your imagination but science discards it as not adding any value. Quantum mechanics has nothing to do with the Many Worlds theory and there is nothing to be gained by either assuming it or rejecting it.

Born out of a need to interpret the behaviour of the smallest building blocks of our Universe,
Nope. It wasn't born of any need. It was born out of an active imagination.

... quantum physics has powered a cultural conversation from the depths of academic philosophy and science, to the pinnacle of Hollywood’s elite.
That's funny, I don't ever hear this conversation, especially on JPP. I and one other person on this site seem to be the only one's who understand quantum mechanics, and there are many who haven't the vaguest clue but who feel the need to pretend they own it.

There haven't been any quantum mechanics conversations here; only laymen's errors that I have had to correct.

They have theorized about this for decades but are still no closer to anything regarding a breakthrough

Perhaps one day somebody will discover something in quantum physics that unlocks the next level of understanding but until then everything is just conjecture in relation to this theory

No, it might have captured your imagination but science discards it as not adding any value. Quantum mechanics has nothing to do with the Many Worlds theory and there is nothing to be gained by either assuming it or rejecting it.

Nope. It wasn't born of any need. It was born out of an active imagination.

That's funny, I don't ever hear this conversation, especially on JPP. I and one other person on this site seem to be the only one's who understand quantum mechanics, and there are many who haven't the vaguest clue but who feel the need to pretend they own it.

There haven't been any quantum mechanics conversations here; only laymen's errors that I have had to correct.

You're a dumb fuck who knows nothing.

Every life contains pain. Even the perfect life, the life where you have everything you want, hides its own unique struggles. Writing in The Genealogy of Morals (1887), Friedrich Nietzsche said: ‘Man, the bravest animal and most prone to suffer, does not deny suffering as such: he wills it, he even seeks it out, provided he is shown a meaning for it, a purpose of suffering.’ A life apparently perfect but devoid of meaning, no matter how comfortable, is a kind of hell.

So has Jonathan Swift, Frank Baum, and C.S. Lewis, among others, so what’s your point?

(Oh, oh, I’m going to get banned again)

You're a dumb fuck who knows nothing.
You are an eloquent master of wordsmithing. You are unequaled in your craft.

attachment.php

Back