forced sterilization, who supported it?

Eugenics was a scientific theory that grew in popularity during the 1920s. Eugenicists believed that poverty, promiscuity and alcoholism were traits that were inherited. To eliminate those society ills and improve society’s gene pool, proponents of the theory argued that those that exhibited the traits should be sterilized. Some of America’s wealthiest citizens of the time were eugenicists including Dr. Clarence Gamble of the Procter and Gamble fortune and James Hanes of the hosiery company. Hanes helped found the Human Betterment League which promoted the cause of eugenicists.

because you inherit a business does not mean you are more moral than the rest of us.

It in fact creates a sense of entitlement in most people.

When you give the wealthy too much power you end up with a world run by Paris Hiltons

This is a despicable story. The fact that the state did this is sick.

"For the past eight years, North Carolina lawmakers have been working to find a way to compensate those involuntarily sterilized in the state between 1929 and 1974. During that time period, 7,600 people were sterilized in North Carolina. Of those who were sterilized, 85 percent of the victims were female and 40 percent were non-white. "

Holy crap...

That is beyond disgusting. That is so far into unconstitutional that I can't fathom how they got away with doing it for 45 years. WTF?

Yes... The mother of forced sterilization and racial purity in America.

On blacks, immigrants and indigents:
"...human weeds,' 'reckless breeders,' 'spawning... human beings who never should have been born." Margaret Sanger, Pivot of Civilization, referring to immigrants and poor people

On sterilization & racial purification:
Sanger believed that, for the purpose of racial "purification," couples should be rewarded who chose sterilization. Birth Control in America, The Career of Margaret Sanger, by David Kennedy, p. 117, quoting a 1923 Sanger speech.

On the right of married couples to bear children:
Couples should be required to submit applications to have a child, she wrote in her "Plan for Peace." Birth Control Review, April 1932

On the purpose of birth control:
The purpose in promoting birth control was "to create a race of thoroughbreds," she wrote in the Birth Control Review, Nov. 1921 (p. 2)

On the rights of the handicapped and mentally ill, and racial minorities:
"More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control." Birth Control Review, May 1919, p. 12

On religious convictions regarding sex outside of marriage:
"This book aims to answer the needs expressed in thousands on thousands of letters to me in the solution of marriage problems... Knowledge of sex truths frankly and plainly presented cannot possibly injure healthy, normal, young minds. Concealment, suppression, futile attempts to veil the unveilable - these work injury, as they seldom succeed and only render those who indulge in them ridiculous. For myself, I have full confidence in the cleanliness, the open-mindedness, the promise of the younger generation." Margaret Sanger, Happiness in Marriage (Bretano's, New York, 1927)

On the extermination of blacks:
"We do not want word to go out that we want to exterminate the Negro population," she said, "if it ever occurs to any of their more rebellious members." Woman's Body, Woman's Right: A Social History of Birth Control in America, by Linda Gordon

My sister in laws, natural mother was one. She had her out of wedlock and was sterilized after the birth.

I read a book about eugenics and it is shocking the people who supported it in the USA. She has passed away, so she can not be compensated.

just a reminder, this is how easily the rights of the minority can be violated with impunity.....because you, the majority, wholeheartedly approved of it.

I'm afraid I cannot disagree with this.

If this were a military operation where those who participated could be jailed or otherwise seriously punished for disobeying, I might agree with you.

But the medical personnel who did this could have easily refused to do it. Would they have lost their jobs? Yes, of course. Does that make them innocent? Absolutely not. If I were told to put one of my workers in danger of serious injury or I would lose my job, I would refuse in a heartbeat. And anyone above the nursing staff (doctors, hospital administrators ect) should be jailed for the rest of their lives for perpetrating such a horrible crime on unsuspecting innocents.

If this were a military operation where those who participated could be jailed or otherwise seriously punished for disobeying, I might agree with you.

But the medical personnel who did this could have easily refused to do it. Would they have lost their jobs? Yes, of course. Does that make them innocent? Absolutely not. If I were told to put one of my workers in danger of serious injury or I would lose my job, I would refuse in a heartbeat. And anyone above the nursing staff (doctors, hospital administrators ect) should be jailed for the rest of their lives for perpetrating such a horrible crime on unsuspecting innocents.

if this were a constitutional republic still, you'd be right. However, there are a couple of court cases now where lawsuits against hospital personnel that drew blood at the order of law enforcement officers, but against the wishes of the 'victim', were granted absolute immunity from any and all claims, so that being that case.....i don't think anyone would be concerned about losing their job.

shouldn't you approve of this? after all, it is preventing the possibility of children living horribly neglected lives from parents that didn't want them.

That's what abortion is for, preventing exactly that.

Surely you're not advocating sterilizing young girls who become pregnant through rape? Or are you?

Back