Free Concert by Popular Band Preceded Obama’s Big Rally

meme

Well well..how did this little nugget get buried in the story. Pulling out all the tricks they can.
-----------------------------------------------------------
By Robert Knight * May 20, 2008 - 17:16 ET

From CNN to the New York Times, the media hyped Barack Obama's Portland, Oregon rally on Sunday, some comparing him to a rock star.

Unmentioned in national reporting was the fact that Obama was preceded by a rare, 45-minute free concert by actual rock stars The Decemberists. The Portland-based band has drawn rave reviews from Rolling Stone magazine, which gave their 2005 album Picaresque four and a half stars (out of five), and another four and a half stars for 2007's The Crane Wife.

How many of the people showed up to hear Obama, and how many to hear the band?

Here's how the local paper The Oregonian, which estimated the crowd at 72,000, reported the rally:

"Obama was the biggest star at Sunday's gathering -- though a popular Portland band, The Decemberists, provided the warmup act. With blue skies and temperatures in the 80s, many in the crowd said Waterfront Park was simply the place to be."
CNN headlined its 10 p.m. segment on May 18 with "Barack Obama: Achieving Rock Star Status in Oregon."

The New York Times, which ran a color photo of the crowd, estimated the throng at 75,000, noting that it was "the largest crowd of his campaign so far." There was no mention of The Decemberists, and the Times described the weather as "an unseasonably hot day."

read it all at.
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/robert...ncert-popular-band-preceded-obama-s-big-rally

I've been to Portland.

It's a beautiful place, and possibly the most liberal city in America. I am confident that Obama was the focus of mass adulation there.

I've been to Portland.

It's a beautiful place, and possibly the most liberal city in America. I am confident that Obama was the focus of mass adulation there.

Portland is indeed a beautiful city. But it is no where near being the most liberal city in America. San Fran kicks the crap out of all other pretenders for that title. Not even Berkley can touch San Fran.

That said, I do find it funny that so many on the left failed to mention the free concert aspect. Free concert by a popular local band on a beautiful day. Yeah, that didn't help draw a big crowd.

Well, San Francisco and Berkeley are pretty lefty, but I'm not disdained as openly and by so many of the natives in those bastions of Bush-hatred.

In Portland I was sneered at, outcast, and generally treated as a pariah by hundreds of people.

My crime?

I drove a car.

Portlanders mostly ride bikes or take the free Max trains, apparently. Parking is at a premium, and parking fees and fines are very high.

Well, San Francisco and Berkeley are pretty lefty, but I'm not disdained as openly and by so many of the natives in those bastions of Bush-hatred.

In Portland I was sneered at, outcast, and generally treated as a pariah by hundreds of people.

My crime?

I drove a car.

Portlanders mostly ride bikes or take the free Max trains, apparently. Parking is at a premium, and parking fees and fines are very high.

I have never had any such experience in the 30 plus times I have been to Portland. Given their traffic, I cannot believe that is the case on the norm. I have driven every time I have been there and it has the same rush hour problems as any other major city. Cars everywhere.

Portland is indeed a beautiful city. But it is no where near being the most liberal city in America. San Fran kicks the crap out of all other pretenders for that title. Not even Berkley can touch San Fran.

That said, I do find it funny that so many on the left failed to mention the free concert aspect. Free concert by a popular local band on a beautiful day. Yeah, that didn't help draw a big crowd.

I'm sure it helped, but it doesn't account for 75,000 people showing up and staying after the band played. And really, the band at issue plays venues with a capacity of 1500-2000 in Portland. I seriously doubt that the band had all that much to do with pulling 75,000 people to the event.

Listen to the band on its my space.

Im telling you that band could not draw anywhere near 75,000 people.

Whether this band plays good music or can draw a crowd really doesn't make this story..

The story is that the NY slimes didn't even mention that there was a concert right before Obama spoke, and that he alone drew this big of crowd..

Dirty tricks from the mouth organs of the DNC..

meme do you think this is not done with country bands and republicans?

It is just ludicris to think the crowd cane for the band and not Obama.

They are an basically unheard of band.

Not really desh. They're very popular with young people. The Decembrists tour regularly and have appeared on the Colbert Report and the Daily show. They're not really suited to my tastes. I prefer rap, but they are good musicians and well liked among young people.

Though the notion that they singlehandedly drew 75,000 people to the event is silly.

I guess a band does draw better crowds than Geritol and hoverround demonstrations preceeding the McCain rallies.

LOL @ the Decemberists being labeled as a popular band. They are good but nowhere close to anything resembling a popular band.

ask 100 people on the street who they are and I can guarantee 98 of them at least will have never heard of this band

I'm sure it helped, but it doesn't account for 75,000 people showing up and staying after the band played. And really, the band at issue plays venues with a capacity of 1500-2000 in Portland. I seriously doubt that the band had all that much to do with pulling 75,000 people to the event.

Absolutely.

This is just an attempt by Obama-haters to diminish the magnitude of the event.

Sorry, but it's failing as miserably as their Rev. Wright attacks.

Obama CONSISTENTLY draws tens of thousands of people to his campaign stops .. without bands .. AND his Oregonprimary results demonstrate 80,000 people didn't just come out to see a band almost unknown outside of Portland.

Whereas literally hundreds of senior citizens were bussed in to watch geriatric war hero John McCain blather on about how things were better in his day. They weren't attracted by the free bingo he was offering.

Who gives a shit if Obama combines his publicity machine with musical acts, makes a change from the usual rallies made up of gimpish hacks and paedos.

Back