French Economics

cawacko

This one's for Topspin and his favorite "Turbo-Libs". A pretty good explanation for why the French will continue to stay behind us economically.

At the site you can click on the link for the full article.

GET 'EM WHILE THEY'RE YOUNG Here's how they teach economics to high school students in France:

“Economic growth imposes a hectic form of life, producing overwork, stress, nervous depression, cardiovascular disease and, according to some, even the development of cancer,” asserts the three-volume Histoire du XXe siècle, a set of texts memorized by countless French high school students as they prepare for entrance exams to Sciences Po and other prestigious French universities. The past 20 years have “doubled wealth, doubled unemployment, poverty, and exclusion, whose ill effects constitute the background for a profound social malaise,” the text continues. Because the 21st century begins with “an awareness of the limits to growth and the risks posed to humanity [by economic growth],” any future prosperity “depends on the regulation of capitalism on a planetary scale.” Capitalism itself is described at various points in the text as “brutal,” “savage,” “neoliberal,” and “American.” This agitprop was published in 2005, not in 1972.

When French students are not getting this kind of wildly biased commentary on the destruction wreaked by capitalism, they are learning that economic progress is also the root cause of social ills. For example, a one-year high school course on the inner workings of an economy developed by the French Education Ministry called Sciences Economiques et Sociales, spends two thirds of its time discussing the sociopolitical fallout of economic activity. Chapter and section headings include “Social Cleavages and Inequality,” “Social Mobilization and Conflict,” “Poverty and Exclusion,” and “Globalization and Regulation.” The ministry mandates that students learn “worldwide regulation as a response” to globalization. Only one third of the course is about companies and markets, and even those bits include extensive sections on unions, government economic policy, the limits of markets, and the dangers of growth. The overall message is that economic activity has countless undesirable effects from which citizens must be protected.

http://www.poorandstupid.com/chronicle.asp

The french just need to redefine the poverty level and refigure unemployment a different way. Problem solved.

Cawacko I am a self proclaimed turbo-lib. In most things that is, I'm as pro business and market as you can be though.
I'm tying to teach my fellow libtards that the devil in not an MBA grad w/iphone

This one's for Topspin and his favorite "Turbo-Libs". A pretty good explanation for why the French will continue to stay behind us economically.

At the site you can click on the link for the full article.

GET 'EM WHILE THEY'RE YOUNG Here's how they teach economics to high school students in France:

“Economic growth imposes a hectic form of life, producing overwork, stress, nervous depression, cardiovascular disease and, according to some, even the development of cancer,” asserts the three-volume Histoire du XXe siècle, a set of texts memorized by countless French high school students as they prepare for entrance exams to Sciences Po and other prestigious French universities. The past 20 years have “doubled wealth, doubled unemployment, poverty, and exclusion, whose ill effects constitute the background for a profound social malaise,” the text continues. Because the 21st century begins with “an awareness of the limits to growth and the risks posed to humanity [by economic growth],” any future prosperity “depends on the regulation of capitalism on a planetary scale.” Capitalism itself is described at various points in the text as “brutal,” “savage,” “neoliberal,” and “American.” This agitprop was published in 2005, not in 1972.

When French students are not getting this kind of wildly biased commentary on the destruction wreaked by capitalism, they are learning that economic progress is also the root cause of social ills. For example, a one-year high school course on the inner workings of an economy developed by the French Education Ministry called Sciences Economiques et Sociales, spends two thirds of its time discussing the sociopolitical fallout of economic activity. Chapter and section headings include “Social Cleavages and Inequality,” “Social Mobilization and Conflict,” “Poverty and Exclusion,” and “Globalization and Regulation.” The ministry mandates that students learn “worldwide regulation as a response” to globalization. Only one third of the course is about companies and markets, and even those bits include extensive sections on unions, government economic policy, the limits of markets, and the dangers of growth. The overall message is that economic activity has countless undesirable effects from which citizens must be protected.

http://www.poorandstupid.com/chronicle.asp

I don't have a problem with a society that balances social justice, against unfettered capitalism.

But, I don't think this caricature is entirely accurate. The french multinationals I worked with, are ruthless and competitive. Die hard capitalists. Its a big country. There's probably all interests at work there.

P.S. most of Europe is way behind us for one reason or Another.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!

I am rolling on the floor pissing myself laughing!

Behind you? Who the fuck would want to live and work under the conditions the AVERAGE American has to put up with?

Fuck that for a game of soldiers. :clink:

Nope. Are you fucked for a response? :cof1:

Everybody in America has been told since childhood that "USA IS #1". Most believe it, facts be damned. YOu can put up all the lists, statistics, agency reports, mortality reports, life expectancy reports, etc, that you want to, but this is a belief we are talking about.

Facts simply cannot make a dent.

Everybody in America has been told since childhood that "USA IS #1". Most believe it, facts be damned. YOu can put up all the lists, statistics, agency reports, mortality reports, life expectancy reports, etc, that you want to, but this is a belief we are talking about.

That's a bit sad Darla. Hopefully this kind of open discourse may help to correct those impressions.

But if not, let me try this. I much prefer living in my country as an average person. I may not be able to peruse three rows of potato and corn chips in the local Safeway 24 hours a day but I feel pretty damn comfortable with my working conditions as an average person (they could be improved of course but I'm a realist). I won't go on because I'm not wanting to pick a fight but for the Topster's info I'm taking about the average Joe or Josephine, not those who are living high off the hog. If you're up there on the high side of the hog of course you'll defend whatever got you there, but if you look down you'll find some ordinary person holding your stirrup iron.

That's a bit sad Darla. Hopefully this kind of open discourse may help to correct those impressions.

But if not, let me try this. I much prefer living in my country as an average person. I may not be able to peruse three rows of potato and corn chips in the local Safeway 24 hours a day but I feel pretty damn comfortable with my working conditions as an average person (they could be improved of course but I'm a realist). I won't go on because I'm not wanting to pick a fight but for the Topster's info I'm taking about the average Joe or Josephine, not those who are living high off the hog. If you're up there on the high side of the hog of course you'll defend whatever got you there, but if you look down you'll find some ordinary person holding your stirrup iron.

There are a lot of great places to live in the world and I would personally put Sydney, Australia as the best. In my opinion the ultimate judge of where's best is people themselves. Individual's (families) want to migrate to where they feel the best opportunities are to make a better life for themselves and their families. I don't have any numbers in front of me but people voting with their vote feet is the best determination.

There are a lot of great places to live in the world and I would personally put Sydney, Australia as the best. In my opinion the ultimate judge of where's best is people themselves. Individual's (families) want to migrate to where they feel the best opportunities are to make a better life for themselves and their families. I don't have any numbers in front of me but people voting with their vote feet is the best determination.

I wouldn't want to live in Sydney for a number of reasons but I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world but Australia. And that's not just me being a jingoistic idiot.

I've travelled widely in the US and I've been in some really beautiful places with really nice people. I mean, there I was, just going into a bank in Va to change some travellers cheques and a lady took time out to ask me how I was enjoying my visit and that she hoped that my trip would be pleasant. And she wasn't following a script, she was communicating person to person. That was the year LA hosted the Olympics and I still remember her genuine kindness.

I could go on. The lady in the Safeway in Bend, OR. who told me all about the high desert.

Talking about Bend, what a lovely town. I could have definitely stayed there.

But I wouldn't live in the States because of the nature of the society. I just don't share the same values that are apparently predominant. In my country the average person does okay, better than the US. That's all there is to it.

Australia has a prosperous, Western-style mixed economy, with a per capita GDP slightly higher than that of the UK, Germany, and France in terms of purchasing power parity

And we're not likely to have a revolution any time soon and any government that tries to screw over the average person gets the boot (the conservatives suckered us for 11 years but they're doing doom and gloom and will be out for, hopefully, many years).,

The macro thing is all well and good but jeez the ordinary American puts up with shit. It doesn't work here.

The previous federal government tried to pull an American style industrial relations system on us and got the big boot. We knew Howard was giving it to us on behalf of the big end of town without the benefit of KY or a reach-around so he lost his government and the little bastard lost his own seat, the grub.

We don't mind prosperity, we just want it to be spread around a bit. That's the difference between our countries. We like a fair go, we don't approve of social Darwinism.

We are a faith based nation......

I saw that when I was in the UK and in Australia, they lacked for nothing that we had. They even had hot showers, deodorant and Nikes.

I know that for average people there are countries they are much better off in than this one. I agree it’s sad that so many here are in this kind of denial about that.

Back