From the: "Cry Me a River" files

Cypress

If we stayed for a century, it might be just like Germany!

GOP fights ad attacking McCain's "100 years"

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A Democratic National Committee TV ad released Sunday uses Sen. John McCain's remarks on U.S. troops staying in Iraq for "100 years" to paint a portrait of a candidate fixated on keeping a permanent presence in the war-torn country.
art.selma.ap.jpg

Sen. John McCain is under attack for comments he made on U.S. troops staying in Iraq for "100 years."

But Republican National Committee officials believe that McCain's comments are being misused, and they're firing off a missive to TV stations: Pull the ad from the airwaves. The DNC ad includes an exchange between McCain and an unidentified man who asked about staying in Iraq.

The man remarks, "President Bush has talked about our staying in Iraq for 50 years."

The ad uses a sound bite of McCain saying, "Maybe 100. That would be fine with me."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/29/mccain.context/index.html?eref=rss_politics

Screw their outrage on this. They keep saying it's "out of context," but he had an opportunity for a much more reasoned response on that question. He was gunning for the base, and trying to create as much distance between himself & the Dem "surrender monkeys" as he could. Now, he's just gotta deal with that quote.

He could have just as easily said something like "I believe we're close to our goals and that an extended presence won't be necessary," which still would have appealed to the base just fine. He didn't; he said it would be fine w/ him to have us there (or, more appropriately, to have American teenagers there in the desert) for 100 years.

Screw 'em.

Back