Future of College Sports - NIL/Transfer Portal

Clearly a massive game changer at all three levels.

For coaches it puts the ability to correctly evaluate skills and talent and more important, knit together a team quickly.

UNC, for example, discovered they are behind the curve on the knitting part as are so many others. A quick look at the topsy turvey tournament tells that tale.

I've got a feeling the NCAA/P5 or 6 are going to regret this and seek to dial this back.but putting the genii back in the bottle is hard.

But its been fun so far !

Here you go Archives. It pains me that this is coming from the UCLA coach but he's spot on. I'm not saying I like it but this is the world we live in today and he's right, adapt or die.

]

“Adapt or die”

So in other words, anything goes, do, or pay, whatever you have to get the team you want. Only a matter of time before players “adapt” themselves and start hiring agents. Pure professionalism, it will become a bidding war for attaining and keeping players

Which leads to the next question of what happens when the school’s purpose and academic principles directly conflict with the desired professionalism of its programs? What happens when the million dollar player decides he ain’t doing schoolwork, dumping academics?

What we are seeing now is only the beginning, at the current rate, as I said previously, in ten years we’ll see such as USC players looking like NASCAR autos, with the rationalization, “it’s just different”

Clearly a massive game changer at all three levels.

For coaches it puts the ability to correctly evaluate skills and talent and more important, knit together a team quickly.

UNC, for example, discovered they are behind the curve on the knitting part as are so many others. A quick look at the topsy turvey tournament tells that tale.

I've got a feeling the NCAA/P5 or 6 are going to regret this and seek to dial this back.but putting the genii back in the bottle is hard.

But its been fun so far !

So how do you explain Princeton?

“Adapt or die”

So in other words, anything goes, do, or pay, whatever you have to get the team you want. Only a matter of time before players “adapt” themselves and start hiring agents. Pure professionalism, it will become a bidding war for attaining and keeping players

Which leads to the next question of what happens when the school’s purpose and academic principles directly conflict with the desired professionalism of its programs? What happens when the million dollar player decides he ain’t doing schoolwork, dumping academics?

What we are seeing now is only the beginning, at the current rate, as I said previously, in ten years we’ll see such as USC players looking like NASCAR autos, with the rationalization, “it’s just different”

Did you listen to the video? Tell me where he's wrong if you disagree with him on where we are headed. Trying to fight it is a losing battle. The old amateur model is out the window. Getting out in front of NIL/Transfer Portal and attempting to put parameters in place to make it workable is what's needed and that's what Cronin is saying.

I'm in no position to fight the trends,
but I stopped watching college sports decades ago
because they make me sick to my stomach.

They get a very valuable scholarship to play, but they're not there to get an education.
Fuck those semi-literate kids who don't belong in college and the elders who exploit them both.
If they're eventually good enough to play professionally, they can entertain me then, when I'm in the mood.

I boxed professionally while in college, just for gas and beer and pony-betting money,
and my parents had to pay for my college education.

Did you listen to the video? Tell me where he's wrong if you disagree with him on where we are headed. Trying to fight it is a losing battle. The old amateur model is out the window. Getting out in front of NIL/Transfer Portal and attempting to put parameters in place to make it workable is what's needed and that's what Cronin is saying.

That ain’t going to happen, Cronin is just passing the buck, largely cause who is going to do it, and bigger yet, who will be responsible for policing it? Currently, the movement is the leagues will monitor it, which is like saying the Fox will guard the chicken coop. The “workable” model is what it currently is, it’s free agency, players will go where the money is the best, even transferring year to year. Actual education will have zero weight in any of this

The “amateur model” is college athletics, and it is gone, soon all traces will be history outside of perhaps the Ivies and a few lesser division leagues. With money the prime mover, won’t be long before schedules extend, coverage enlarged leading to over saturation of the marketplace. In time, anticipated events like the current NCAA basketball tournament will be history

The crisis will lie with the institutions, how much they value their principles, purpose, and reputation.

They gelled quickly because the Princeton System makes it easier to do that and the kids are smarter.

The “Princeton System” is just basic basketball, a style most of the other teams haven’t seen since probably high school, if ever being superstars entering college. The big question is how good are the opposing teams’ coaches when they know it is coming and still can’t prepare their kids to stop it

I'm in no position to fight the trends,
but I stopped watching college sports decades ago
because they make me sick to my stomach.

They get a very valuable scholarship to play, but they're not there to get an education.
Fuck those semi-literate kids who don't belong in college and the elders who exploit them both.
If they're eventually good enough to play professionally, they can entertain me then, when I'm in the mood.

I boxed professionally while in college, just for gas and beer and pony-betting money,
and my parents had to pay for my college education.

Well you don’t have to stop watching too much longer, the cat is out of the bag, for the big sports, it’s pure professionalism

Doesn’t bother me but I don’t want hear another tell me it is college football/basketball, you know, rha-rha, win one for the Gipper, let’s hope the home colors win, etc.. As I said, decade from now college football players will look like NASCAR autos, wearing logos for ever sponsor they get

Well you don’t have to stop watching too much longer, the cat is out of the bag, for the big sports, it’s pure professionalism

Doesn’t bother me but I don’t want hear another tell me it is college football/basketball, you know, rha-rha, win one for the Gipper, let’s hope the home colors win, etc.. As I said, decade from now college football players will look like NASCAR autos, wearing logos for ever sponsor they get

I preface my comment by saying we’re all individuals and even if we lean right or left politically it doesn’t mean we agree on everything that someone else who generally shares our views does.

Not surprisingly, NIL/transfer portal discussion are big on the USC board (as I’m sure they are on any college football discussion board). And our board generally steers clear of politics but it will show itself on occasion. This is one of the topics that it has. Usually it’s the claim that conservatives are behind the times and don’t want things to change and don’t support largely minority athletes getting a piece of the pie while the largely white universities and coaches rake in all the money.

Of course because people claim the above doesn’t necessarily make it true. And I personally don’t think this issue falls neatly along right/left political lines. But does it give you hesitation at all that your thoughts here are deemed by some to be the conservative (and thus racist) position?

Edit: I will say the academic questions are legitimate. Non athletes change schools (JC to four year being the most obvious but even four to four year) so it clearly can be done but I wouldn’t be against the rules saying a kid has to show he’s on track to graduate within five years if they transfer multiple times.

Last edited:
The “Princeton System” is just basic basketball, a style most of the other teams haven’t seen since probably high school, if ever being superstars entering college. The big question is how good are the opposing teams’ coaches when they know it is coming and still can’t prepare their kids to stop it

more to it than that of course but the main thing is discipline which most teams have problems with.

I preface my comment by saying we’re all individuals and even if we lean right or left politically it doesn’t mean we agree on everything that someone else who generally shares our views does.

Not surprisingly, NIL/transfer portal discussion are big on the USC board (as I’m sure they are on any college football discussion board). And our board generally steers clear of politics but it will show itself on occasion. This is one of the topics that it has. Usually it’s the claim that conservatives are behind the times and don’t want things to change and don’t support largely minority athletes getting a piece of the pie while the largely white universities and coaches rake in all the money.

Of course because people claim the above doesn’t necessarily make it true. And I personally don’t think this issue falls neatly along right/left political lines. But does it give you hesitation at all that your thoughts here are deemed by some to be the conservative (and thus racist) position?

Edit: I will say the academic questions are legitimate. Non athletes change schools (JC to four year being the most obvious but even four to four year) so it clearly can be done but I wouldn’t be against the rules saying a kid has to show he’s on track to graduate within five years if they transfer multiple times.

Not about race, left/right, or any of that, it is simply greed, turning amateur athletics into straight professionalism under the facade of promoting school spirit/reputation/or whatever one calls that rah rah bullshit. Profiting on the alumni/fan zealousness

Ultimately, there is nothing wrong with that, I’d say unethical, pimping the institutions name, but “it’s just different. Point being it has absolutely nothing to do with the school, school’s purpose or principles, and in the end, will hurt post secondary education

NIL came about because the FBI got involved in what had been under the table payments to kids so NCAA just allowed it above the table. This has been going on for years and years.

Bob Mckillop at Davidson ran a similar system very effectively for decades. Works well with smart players who are perhaps not as athletic. He loved bringing in Euto players for this. Better skills training than you get in AAU/high school to boot.

NIL came about because the FBI got involved in what had been under the table payments to kids so NCAA just allowed it above the table. This has been going on for years and years.

I thought it was because lawsuits over players not receiving compensation under antitrust law, the basketball player from UCLA starting the process seven or eight years ago.

Other than supposed NCAA rules, which were sporadically applied, I don’t think paying college athletes was technically illegal. Surely wasn’t ethical, everyone supposedly playing under the same rules, but not violating any existing law

And as interesting as it has been, I think Princeton falls tonight, Creighton is a discipled team, with three or four days to prepare

I thought it was because lawsuits over players not receiving compensation under antitrust law, the basketball player from UCLA starting the process seven or eight years ago.

Other than supposed NCAA rules, which were sporadically applied, I don’t think paying college athletes was technically illegal. Surely wasn’t ethical, everyone supposedly playing under the same rules, but not violating any existing law

And as interesting as it has been, I think Princeton falls tonight, Creighton is a discipled team, with three or four days to prepare

It was 100% illegal. (Well technically schools gave players stipends but that was regulated across the board. But coaches got busted for buying kids dinner or a donor buying a kid a drink etc.)

Not about race, left/right, or any of that, it is simply greed, turning amateur athletics into straight professionalism under the facade of promoting school spirit/reputation/or whatever one calls that rah rah bullshit. Profiting on the alumni/fan zealousness

Ultimately, there is nothing wrong with that, I’d say unethical, pimping the institutions name, but “it’s just different. Point being it has absolutely nothing to do with the school, school’s purpose or principles, and in the end, will hurt post secondary education

The argument against that will be it was amateur for the athletes but not the universities or the coaches. So you can go to an Ivy League model and not give scholarships and make everything more like club sports. But that was never going to happen. (and they will say it’s 100% about race. That’s our world today, colorblind arguments won’t fly.)

You mentioned in a post awhile back not knowing who Ibrahm X Kendi was. He’s the best selling “author” who wrote How To Be An Anti-Racist. You have to understand that mindset/mentality to understand the argument that the amateur model used by the NCAA was racist and why the fight for NIL/transfer portal. Thus why we’ll never go back to the old model.

Lawsuits would go nowhere for the same reason that player payments were not illegal. They are NCAA rules.

The FBI got involved when one of the player advisors (not agents, more like financial advisors) was committing wire fraud with money that was not his to use from his clients.
And he kept good financial records of all his actions legal and illegal and those included coaches and other athletic dept people, shoe company people etc.

Princeton v Creighton huh ? Princeton are 15 pt dogs to a 3rd place Blue Jay's squad. They should lose on paper certainly but it could be a good game. Princeton has NOTHING to lose so all the pressure is on Creighton to NOT lose top a 15 seed. I'm guessing pretty good game, Tigers beat the spread but yes, lose.

Back