Gallup: Obama's World Tour ends, and McCain passes him by 4 points

Little-Acorn

The leftists in and out of the media have been crowing for months over polls that whow Obama's a "sure thing", he's got it "in the bag", etc. (This is after talk died down last year about Hillary's expected coronation). Now in one major poll, taken as Obama ended his World Tour, John McCain has gained 10 points on Senator Obama, and is currently four percentage points ahead.

If this trend keeps up, we may finally start hearing from liberals again, that polls don't mean anything and the the only thing that matters is the November election.

-----------------------------------

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/

Gains for McCain in latest USA TODAY/Gallup Poll

Republican presidential candidate John McCain moved from being behind by 6 points among "likely" voters a month ago to a 4-point lead over Democrat Barack Obama among that group in the latest USA TODAY/Gallup Poll. McCain still trails slightly among the broader universe of "registered" voters. By both measures, the race is tight.

The Friday-Sunday poll, mostly conducted as Obama was returning from his much-publicized overseas trip and released just this hour, shows McCain now ahead 49%-45% among voters that Gallup believes are most likely to go to the polls in November. In late June, he was behind among likely voters, 50%-44%.

Among registered voters, McCain still trails Obama, but by less. He is behind by 3 percentage points in the new poll (47%-44%) vs. a 6-point disadvantage (48%-42%) in late June.

Results based on the survey of 791 likely voters have margins of error of +/- 4 percentage points -- so McCain's lead is not outside that range. Results based on the survey of 900 registered voters also have margins of error of +/- 4 percentage points.

Gallup editor Frank Newport tells Jill that "registered voters are much more important at the moment," because Election Day is still 100 days away, but that the likely-voter result suggests that it may be possible for McCain to energize Republicans and turn them out this fall.

Who is a likely voter? In this poll, Frank says, that was determined by how much thought people have given to the election, how often they say they vote and whether they plan to vote in the election in November.

http://www.electoral-vote.com/

McCain is behind by 9 points in Gallup.

gallup-Jul28.jpg

That is what I had read. Why is his different than yours? Do they make this stuff up?

He probably published a story from a few weeks ago when McCain was only behind by 3 points. His link certainly isn't from a blog posted today. He probably saved it until after Obama's "tour" so he could publish it and claim some kind of victory.

Yes. They just make this shit up.

He probably published a story from a few weeks ago when McCain was only behind by 3 points. His link certainly isn't from a blog posted today. He probably saved it until after Obama's "tour" so he could publish it and claim some kind of victory.

No wonder Damo rushed in to state that it was “just statistical noise”. He knew the real numbers, and wanted to get on record. Lol. Is there anyone so transparent as Damo?

The link is in the original post. It's from today's USA Today's blog. Please feel free to bust a nut over whether Obama is up 9 or down 4 100 days from the election. It means jack sh*t.

The link is in the original post. It's from today's USA Today's blog. Please feel free to bust a nut over whether Obama is up 9 or down 4 100 days from the election. It means jack sh*t.

Just look at the trend line. McCain trends downward. Obama up. That's important.

100 days aint that long.

I guess I buy into the line that a lot of people don't really start following until after Labor Day. After Labor Day I'll pay more attention. When you look historically you've seen some candidates have huge leads during the summer and either lose or barely win.

That is what I had read. Why is his different than yours? Do they make this stuff up?

no. They require you to READ.

USA/Gallup currently has McCain up 4 points among "likely voters" but has McCain trailing by 3 points among registered voters.

This was a collaboration with USA today.

The Gallup only poll has McCain down by 8 points.

I will pay attention more to polls after the Olympics and the conventions. Right now I agree with CW, numbers are just glimpses of how people feel without paying too much attention to the whole range of issues.

I will pay attention more to polls after the Olympics and the conventions. Right now I agree with CW, numbers are just glimpses of how people feel without paying too much attention to the whole range of issues.

oh pleas.e The idea that the oldest, whitest guy ever has a chance against the reform candidate following the worst president in US history is laughable.

I guess I buy into the line that a lot of people don't really start following until after Labor Day. After Labor Day I'll pay more attention. When you look historically you've seen some candidates have huge leads during the summer and either lose or barely win.

Jimmy Carter
Mike Dukakis
Gore
Kerry

just to name a few.

Back