"Gay marriage" vs. Civil Unions

What do you think?

• Total voters

Cancel11

God Bless America
Let me start by saying I don't care what gays do in the privacy of their homes. I don't care if they find a priest or minister who will "marry" them, and they can have a nice little pretend wedding, and a wedding cake with two male/female figurines on top. I honestly don't give a damn. :)

Legally, they can have a civil union, so long as heterosexuals can also get a civil union. I don't believe we should create a special status for homosexuals and lesbians. Homosexuality is unnatural, and should never be given any special recognition by government.

And marriage is and must remain between one man and one woman.

Last edited:
All marriage should be banned. Why should our govt support a holy thing like marriage ?

It should all just be civil unions for business purposes.

All marriage should be banned. Why should our govt support a holy thing like marriage ?

It should all just be civil unions for business purposes.
While marriage itself is a religion defined social relationship, there is a practical reason for government to recognize the relationship. From a purely abstract POV, government recognition of marriage, with the associated impact on secualr contract laws (insurance, right of survivor, etc.) is basically adding the stamp of civil union onto marriage as an automatic inclusion.

Note that divorce is a civil action which many churches - including the Catholic Church - do not recognize. A divorced Catholic must obtain an annulment from the Church (a religious process which takes 12-18 months) if they wish to continue to participate in the Sacraments.

I agree with abolishing civil marriage. We need to discourage idiots from participating in it, and its the only indefinite way to "save it."

Well that's interesting. Dixie voted for civil unions. Not that all conservatives are necessarily against unions, but I've always pretty squarely identified Dixie with the religious right.

I think civil unions are an at least acceptable compromise in southern states that feel uncomfortable with equalizing marriage status. Ideally, the state just wouldn't use the word "marriage" at all, since the religious meaning of marriage is just completely irrelevant to the states purely business purposes in recognizing marriages.

Good point. I am a two time offender myself, so maybe it should be outlawed for all multiple offenders.

If they can't ban it all together maybe we should adopt a baseball inspired, three strikes and your out option.

everyone should be able to get married. The government shouldn't have to get to say who can and can't get married. Eff the government.

Well technically the government doesn't decide. You can get married if you want, it's just that the government won't recongnize it legally if it doesn't want to.

"The government shouldn't have to get to say who can and can't get married."

"the government won't recongnize it legally if it doesn't want to."

watermark thinks these two sentences are different.

Yes watermark, two gays can get married in a gay loving church. But that's not what we are talking about.

Back