General Board Discussion - is tonight the night?

Will the dbase and site be moved to a new managed server tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I don't want to commit & look stupid like Rana did

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Legion

Oderint dum metuant
Tonight 07/02/2021, sometime near midnight MDT (UTC -6, so around 6 AM for the Brits) we will be moving the dbase and site to a new managed server.

The site will likely be down for several hours, it should be back up in the AM, better than ever.

I have decided it will help us if we have a bit more bandwidth and memory as well as some upgraded software. We are also moving to the Cloud for better backup, etc.

I hope this isn't too much of an issue, and that it actually migrates better than it has in the past (often they just forget the databases and cause some time lapse).

Know that the site is not going down forever, at the very least I will have a database copy just before I shut it down that I can use to bring stuff back into service if they hose this up for me.

Thanks for your patience.

Vote & discuss.

Hopefully we come through...I was once on a railfan forum that was supposed to be down half a day at most, which turned into about a week.

What made today particularly amusing was that a couple of leftists assumed the cut-over had proceeded as planned and announced their satisfaction with the "new and improved" site performance.

What made today particularly amusing was that a couple of leftists assumed the cut-over had proceeded as planned and announced their satisfaction with the "new and improved" site performance.

You say to the guy who has had almost no problems, who posts 49.69 posts a day......

I suspect the two imbeciles praising the "smooth" cut-over that didn't happen were trying to kiss Damo's ass.

Once at A2k for like two years stuff went missing often, it would not post and you could not back into it again. I often spent many minutes writing out long awesome posts with quotes and links and stuff.....and would forget to ctrl C..... and would lose it all.

I am easy, I know what a hard life looks like.

Will Rana try to interfere with the 'Transfer' ?
I'm concerned that the 'Owl Faction' might attempt something nefarious. :(

Once at A2k for like two years stuff went missing often, it would not post and you could not back into it again. I often spent many minutes writing out long awesome posts with quotes and links and stuff.....and would forget to ctrl C..... and would lose it all. I am easy, I know what a hard life looks like.

In 2014, we lost around 18 month's worth of data when a backup was corrupted.

I hope Damo will make sure he has a good copy of the database this time.

Will Rana try to interfere with the 'Transfer' ? I'm concerned that the 'Owl Faction' might attempt something nefarious.

It's a valid concern, but only if Fowl uses Rana's moderator credentials. Rana is too stupid to know what to do.

BTW, kudos on being right when Rana was wrong today. :thup:

Whew! We made it. Whatever little scheme was plotted ... was foiled. We've come out the other side in one piece.

:happydance:

Yesterday you were the lone voice crying in the wilderness while others assured you the deed was done.

You bravely pointed out that nothing had changed and were maliciously mocked by feckless fools.

One of them even blamed your cheap Internet package.

But you had the last laugh.

You were right, and they had egg on their faces that will never wash off.

Back