Glaciers suffer record shrinkage

uscitizen

Villified User
Glaciers suffer record shrinkage

Some glaciers in Europe have suffered significant losses
The rate at which some of the world's glaciers are melting has more than doubled, data from the United Nations Environment Programme has shown.

Average glacial shrinkage has risen from 30 centimetres per year between 1980 and 1999, to 1.5 metres in 2006.

Some of the biggest losses have occurred in the Alps and Pyrenees mountain ranges in Europe.

Experts have called for "immediate action" to reverse the trend, which is seen as a key climate change indicator.

Estimates for 2006 indicate shrinkage of 1.4 metres of 'water equivalent' compared to half a metre in 2005.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7299561.stm

I have seen Portage Glacier shrink until you can't see it from the visitors center that was built as an observatory for the glacier. Bud and I skied out to the glacier in 1975 our first winter in Anchorage. It was about a mile across the lake to the glacier. Now you have to take a boat to see what is left of it.

We are melting!

I have seen Portage Glacier shrink until you can't see it from the visitors center that was built as an observatory for the glacier. Bud and I skied out to the glacier in 1975 our first winter in Anchorage. It was about a mile across the lake to the glacier. Now you have to take a boat to see what is left of it.

We are melting!

Yeah, but if you take a ruler and draw a straight line between mean temperature in 1998 and mean temperature in 2007, it proves the climate is cooling.

(sarcasm alert)

this is truly remarkable. The ice has probably never melted before. This evidence that humans are making the planet warm is undeniable.

this is truly remarkable. The ice has probably never melted before. This evidence that humans are making the planet warm is undeniable.

Well, a lot of folks still feel the need to keep reminding everyone that the planet is warming, regardless of the cause, since stooges like you & Superfreak are still arguing that basic fact. I had previously thought we were past that one, until you two mensa went to the mat on it last week.

Well, a lot of folks still feel the need to keep reminding everyone that the planet is warming, regardless of the cause, since stooges like you & Superfreak are still arguing that basic fact. I had previously thought we were past that one, until you two mensa went to the mat on it last week.

LOL you cite 2 decades of warming as a trend but 1 decade is insignifigant.

Please , if you can, tell us how long we must wait for the planet to begin warming again, and if it does not, how long until we can declare a cooling trend. Serious question that should be childs play for you warmers to answer, but watch as you douchebag parrots come up empty on even the most simple of questions.

Fucking morons like you will be the people we blame when we're paying useless carbon taxes and oil execs are laughing at the huge profits in carbon trading and the extra taxes on petroleum that allow them to sneak in higher price hikes. You are truly unable to see the big picture and you lack any critical thinking. No wonder you buy this AGW crap.

Nope, but with all the hot air some people are putting out, it probably isn't helping and I feel that being green can't hurt! save some things for the next generations.

LOL you cite 2 decades of warming as a trend but 1 decade is insignifigant.

Please , if you can, tell us how long we must wait for the planet to begin warming again, and if it does not, how long until we can declare a cooling trend. Serious question that should be childs play for you warmers to answer, but watch as you douchebag parrots come up empty on even the most simple of questions.

Fucking morons like you will be the people we blame when we're paying useless carbon taxes and oil execs are laughing at the huge profits in carbon trading and the extra taxes on petroleum that allow them to sneak in higher price hikes. You are truly unable to see the big picture and you lack any critical thinking. No wonder you buy this AGW crap.

You've got that reversed. We're already blaming you flat earthers for what's happening now, that hacks like you were ridiculing us for telling you back in the '90's.

You're the koolaid man on this issue, not me. You'll side with anyone as long as it's against the "enviro-wacko's." You know we're warming; you've never argued that. But when a dolt like Superfreak tries to argue a straight line between '98 & '07 as some sort of proof that we stopped warming, you're all over it. It completely undermines any credibility you could hope to have on the issue; not that you were overflowing with it anyway. You're the board equivalent of the village idiot, and I think you're just smart enought to know that.

You've got that reversed. We're already blaming you flat earthers for what's happening now, that hacks like you were ridiculing us for telling you back in the '90's.

You're the koolaid man on this issue, not me. You'll side with anyone as long as it's against the "enviro-wacko's." You know we're warming; you've never argued that. But when a dolt like Superfreak tries to argue a straight line between '98 & '07 as some sort of proof that we stopped warming, you're all over it. It completely undermines any credibility you could hope to have on the issue; not that you were overflowing with it anyway. You're the board equivalent of the village idiot, and I think you're just smart enought to know that.

What a crock of shit.... the only ones in denial of the data are you and the other Gumby.

I notice you two morons still continue to misrepresent my position because it is easier than accepting the fact that you cannot explain what has occured over the past decade....

Froggie.... Here is my position... rather than the one the two morons continue to present as their version of my opinion.... The following was addressed to both of them... yet you can see from above that they pretend otherwise....

"Great.... show me any one scientist that would dispute anything I have stated....

1) Global warming has occured over the past 50 years.

2) The period in the 90's saw a dramatic increase to record temperatures.

3) From 1998-2007 we saw the warmest decade on record as those record temperatures were maintained.

4) 2005 was the warmest year on record druing that warmest decade on record.

There... are you still with me? Good.

Now.... find one that will disagree that average global temperatures in 1998 and 2007 were the same.

Nope... can't do that either can you?"

This is not to say that man has ceased being a cause of global warming. It was meant to bring up discussion. But the two idiots refuse to do so.

Data from Goddard shows that the average temperature in 1998 and 2007 were the same. Temperatures went up and down between those years. One year, 2005 was warmer. 98 and 2007 were tied for the second warmest years on record. But they were still the same... which means that the net change in temperature over the past ten years was zero.

That does not mean that we are not still at or near record warm temperatures. It simply means that temperatures have not continued to increase.

My follow up question to them is .... what is causing the cessation of increases? Is it a natural phenomenon offsetting mans contribution to global warming? Is it something that man is doing? What?

But the two idiots continue to act as though I am somehow denying that global warming exists, simply because I asked them to think.

By the way you dolt.... if you would bother to actually learn my position, you would find that your above is nothing more than an absurd distortion on your part.

Enjoy being the denialist that you are.

Keeps whales from getting stuck in the ice!

Iceberg.jpg

Back