Glad I already got mine

uscitizen

Villified User
US Mint suspends sale of 24-karat gold coins

Sep 26, 2:57 PM (ET)

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. Mint is temporarily halting sales of its popular American Buffalo 24-karat gold coins because it can't keep up with soaring demand as investors seek the safety of gold amid economic turbulence.

Mint spokesman Michael White said Friday that the sales were being suspended because demand for the coins, which were first introduced in 2006, has exceeded supply and the Mint's inventory of the coins has been depleted.

The Mint had to temporarily suspend sales of its American Eagle one-ounce gold coins on Aug. 15 and then later that month announced sales of the American Eagle coins would resume under an allocation program to designated dealers.

White said the Mint expected to soon start distributing available Buffalo gold coins through a similar allocation program.

Through Thursday, the day the Mint suspended sales of the American Buffalo, the Mint had sold 164,000 of the coins this year, up 54 percent from the same period a year ago.

"People are scared. Gold has become a safe haven," said Michael Maron.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080926/D93EJ2UG0.html

you shoulda listened to uscitizen last year instead of buying wamu.

And if you had listened to Damocles for the past three, you'd have even more money from your gold.

And if you had listened to Damocles for the past three, you'd have even more money from your gold.
Yes I expect so, but I bought as soon as I could afford to.

still I thnk I have gained around 100k or so in the last week on my gold.

You do have more sense than most of these MBA types on here. But then you are an engineering type aren't you ?

Last edited:
Yes I expect so, but I bought as soon as I could afford to.

still I thnk I have gained around 100k or so in the last week on my gold.

You do have more sense than most of these MBA types on here. But then you are an engineering type aren't you ?
I am.

I do regret that i could not have bought a year or so sooner. I would be at closer to 200% profit now or better I would have to review the history.

btw imho the engineer and scientist types are the best hopes for Americas future. We can't just borrow our future. We must develop it.
And we are losing ground bad in the engineering / scientific education field.

Last edited:
US Mint suspends sale of 24-karat gold coins

Sep 26, 2:57 PM (ET)

By MARTIN CRUTSINGER

WASHINGTON (AP) - The U.S. Mint is temporarily halting sales of its popular American Buffalo 24-karat gold coins because it can't keep up with soaring demand as investors seek the safety of gold amid economic turbulence.

Mint spokesman Michael White said Friday that the sales were being suspended because demand for the coins, which were first introduced in 2006, has exceeded supply and the Mint's inventory of the coins has been depleted.

The Mint had to temporarily suspend sales of its American Eagle one-ounce gold coins on Aug. 15 and then later that month announced sales of the American Eagle coins would resume under an allocation program to designated dealers.

White said the Mint expected to soon start distributing available Buffalo gold coins through a similar allocation program.

Through Thursday, the day the Mint suspended sales of the American Buffalo, the Mint had sold 164,000 of the coins this year, up 54 percent from the same period a year ago.

"People are scared. Gold has become a safe haven," said Michael Maron.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080926/D93EJ2UG0.html

you shoulda listened to uscitizen last year instead of buying wamu.

I made more of WaMu than I would have gold.. Market fear creates one hell of a ride.

I got the gold for long term stability. I played the market for a while to pay off my farm and buy a business then quit that. Just have some very secure long term investments outside my gold. Not high gainers but insured. I did not like playing the market game, but it served it's purpose.
I do like the eagles though, proof quality uncirc which boosts them up about $50 - 75 above straight bullion price.

My goal was to set myself up for the rest of my life and I think I have done that plus some.
Education trusts for the grandchildren and such as well.

My businees will have about tripled by January. Had to lease another building for expansion.
I did take out a 1 yr note for 150K last week for equipment for the new building. No credit problem for me at the local bank.

My expansion is based on the downturn too. a local govt contract because I am closer and cheaper.

Last edited:
I got the gold for long term stability. I played the market for a while to pay off my farm and buy a business then quit that. Just have some very secure long term investments outside my gold. Not high gainers but insured. I did not like playing the market game, but it served it's purpose.
I do like the eagles though, proof quality uncirc which boosts them up about $50 - 75 above straight bullion price.

My goal was to set myself up for the rest of my life and I think I have done that plus some.
Education trusts for the grandchildren and such as well.

My businees will have about tripled by January. Had to lease another building for expansion.
I did take out a 1 yr note for 150K last week for equipment for the new building. No credit problem for me at the local bank.

My expansion is based on the downturn too. a local govt contract because I am closer and cheaper.

Well aren't you and your money just so very fucking special.

how many software engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb

none - it is a hardware problem :)

we invested most of our money in real estate and plan on holding on to it

our home has gone up $300k since we inherited it - our other two properties we lease out and are showing a profit even though there 'real' value has sunk (but not a lot)

everything else has shown a loss

while gold is nice, storing it can be a problem

how many software engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb

none - it is a hardware problem :)

we invested most of our money in real estate and plan on holding on to it

our home has gone up $300k since we inherited it - our other two properties we lease out and are showing a profit even though there 'real' value has sunk (but not a lot)

everything else has shown a loss

while gold is nice, storing it can be a problem
You don't have to buy it in coins.

Buy GLD or AUI on the stock market. You can even hold it in a Roth IRA.

Back