GOP Facing Losses in Congress Elections

uscitizen

Villified User

Mar 20, 2:32 PM (ET)

By CHARLES BABINGTON

WASHINGTON (AP) - The news just keeps getting worse for Republicans in this year's campaigns for Congress.

When New York Rep. Tom Reynolds announced he was retiring Thursday, that made it 26 current GOP lawmakers who are calling it quits, opening up chances for Democrats this November. Only seven seats are being given up by the Democrats, who see bright opportunities to fatten their majority in the House - and the Senate as well.

That doesn't even count this month's shocker in Illinois, where Democrat Bill Foster won a special election in the district long represented by Republican former Speaker Dennis Hastert. Democrats say Foster's win to replace the retiring Hastert is a sign of things to come in the general election, when all House seats are on the line.

Things are not much better for the GOP on the Senate side, where Democrats feel confident of picking up retiring Republican John Warner's seat in Virginia and are campaigning hard for GOP seats being vacated in Colorado and New Mexico. Republicans have failed to recruit top-tier candidates to challenge Democratic senators in GOP-leaning Montana, South Dakota and Arkansas.

The Democrats' current Senate margin effectively is 51-49, including two independents who align themselves with the Democratic Party.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080320/D8VHASKO0.html

It's a sign of our democracy's decay that we consider 30 out of 435 seats being actively contested to be a massive, sweeping change.

Proportional Representation (PR if you have a brain) is long overdue.

The people who cause us problems in the political arena are the politicians who sit in their safe-seats, gerrymandered to perfection, and refuse to compromise on bills and issues because they don't need to.

It forces both sides to wheel out their most extreme elements for a pissing contest.

Mar 20, 2:32 PM (ET)

By CHARLES BABINGTON

WASHINGTON (AP) - The news just keeps getting worse for Republicans in this year's campaigns for Congress.

When New York Rep. Tom Reynolds announced he was retiring Thursday, that made it 26 current GOP lawmakers who are calling it quits, opening up chances for Democrats this November. Only seven seats are being given up by the Democrats, who see bright opportunities to fatten their majority in the House - and the Senate as well.

That doesn't even count this month's shocker in Illinois, where Democrat Bill Foster won a special election in the district long represented by Republican former Speaker Dennis Hastert. Democrats say Foster's win to replace the retiring Hastert is a sign of things to come in the general election, when all House seats are on the line.

Things are not much better for the GOP on the Senate side, where Democrats feel confident of picking up retiring Republican John Warner's seat in Virginia and are campaigning hard for GOP seats being vacated in Colorado and New Mexico. Republicans have failed to recruit top-tier candidates to challenge Democratic senators in GOP-leaning Montana, South Dakota and Arkansas.

The Democrats' current Senate margin effectively is 51-49, including two independents who align themselves with the Democratic Party.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080320/D8VHASKO0.html

They'll probably pick up seats. But, where the Dems f*cked up at, IMO, is not nominating John Edwards. Edwards would have been a huge assest to all the state-level, down ticket races for congress, senate, and local legislative offices. And I don't think its too risky too speculate that, with Edwards at the top of the ticket, the Democratic landslide could have rivaled the 1932 election to oust the Hoover republicans.

\And I don't think its too risky too speculate that, with Edwards at the top of the ticket, the Democratic landslide could have rivaled the 1932 election to oust the Hoover republicans.

Lmfao.

The guy who couldn't win his own party's primary was going to inspire a landslide that surpassed historical records.

Where do you buy your stupid pills?

Umm incase you had not noticed it Epi, the people running the democratic party are not truely democrats anymore either. It is not just the republican party that has gone to crap.
and without the leaders pull....

The approval rating of the Dem congress is floating at around 20%.
That's 16 - 20 points less than the President's approval rating.
Why? Because those Democratic monkeys have accomplished NOTHING.

Yeah, good luck with that on election day...

Hmm any data on how the dems in congress vs the reps are rated ?
Remember it is just marginally dem and can't override a veto on the dems votes alone.

Darned obstructionist Republicans in congress. I wonder mhy the media is not playing on that like they did on the dems when in the minority ?

Ohh easy answer. Republicans are big whiners that blame everything on someone else.

That's a strawman and Republicans even know that. The reason for Congress's low ratings is, as US pointed out, they do not have a large enough majority to over ride the Republican obstructionist who are thwarting the will of the people. That will change dramatically next Nov 7. I expect, again, the pundits will be shocked by Democrat gains in both houses.

It's a sign of our democracy's decay that we consider 30 out of 435 seats being actively contested to be a massive, sweeping change.

Proportional Representation (PR if you have a brain) is long overdue.

You're right, our former masters, the British, have it right as usual. What the devil are we thinking?

I can't believe how deluded you Edward's goober smoochers are. He ONLY mobilizes the leftwing base of the party. If you want to see a landslide then you would nominate Edwards. He scares moderate dems and independants. There would be a landslide, sort of in the vein of Reagan Mondale or Nixon McGovern. Edwards wouldn't even be able to win North Carolina.

I can't believe how deluded you Edward's goober smoochers are. He ONLY mobilizes the leftwing base of the party. If you want to see a landslide then you would nominate Edwards. He scares moderate dems and independants. There would be a landslide, sort of in the vein of Reagan Mondale or Nixon McGovern. Edwards wouldn't even be able to win North Carolina.

QFT

I am sure you meant this to be sarcasm, but yes they actually do have it right in this regard.

Score 1 to the Old Country, who is forever wiser than the young American upstart. I'm not really concerned about what 3rd parties are up to, and neither is the Constitution...

The current Congress could have a 0% approval rating and most wouldn't notice. That is because our Presidential Slogan has always been (in our brief history) "The Buck Stops Here". The President gets the credit or the blame for America during good times and hard times (i.e. Bill Clinton). I'm a Republican, but if the Economy doesn't improve, Iraq doesn't improve (significantly), Bin Laden isn't captured or killed, and gas prices keep rising, I expect the Dems to pick up more seats than the projections Dems are making. The above scenerio would also make a Dem Presidency likely as well.

Two years later, if life in America is better, Dems will pick up even more seats. If life in America hasn't improved or Economic woes persist, Repubs will again gain seats but will not be held accountable until another Repub is elected to the Presidency. Success for both Parties is tied to the Presidency.

If we (Repubs & Dems) have learned nothing else from Bush, we should understand that one man (or woman) can make or break a Political Party. This law applies to Dems and Repubs alike.

For Repubs, McCain might be the Presidential Candidate we nominated 8 years too late. McCain is a true American Hero and a seasoned Senator, but as stated earlier, he needs negatives ranging from the Economy to Iraq to Gas, etc. to significantly improve just to have a chance in November (nothing short of a Miracle). Optimism is lacking on the Republican side of politics and for good reason. The buck stops with our President. I will vote Republican, but I will not thow my money to the wind. I'll save my cash for 2012!

Yep bush could have done nothing without the support of the Republicans in congress. And some dems too.
Well that is not entirely true, his executive orders and signing statements....

The current Congress could have a 0% approval rating and most wouldn't notice. That is because our Presidential Slogan has always been (in our brief history) "The Buck Stops Here". The President gets the credit or the blame for America during good times and hard times (i.e. Bill Clinton). I'm a Republican, but if the Economy doesn't improve, Iraq doesn't improve (significantly), Bin Laden isn't captured or killed, and gas prices keep rising, I expect the Dems to pick up more seats than the projections Dems are making. The above scenerio would also make a Dem Presidency likely as well.

Two years later, if life in America is better, Dems will pick up even more seats. If life in America hasn't improved or Economic woes persist, Repubs will again gain seats but will not be held accountable until another Repub is elected to the Presidency. Success for both Parties is tied to the Presidency.

If we (Repubs & Dems) have learned nothing else from Bush, we should understand that one man (or woman) can make or break a Political Party. This law applies to Dems and Repubs alike.

For Repubs, McCain might be the Presidential Candidate we nominated 8 years too late. McCain is a true American Hero and a seasoned Senator, but as stated earlier, he needs negatives ranging from the Economy to Iraq to Gas, etc. to significantly improve just to have a chance in November (nothing short of a Miracle). Optimism is lacking on the Republican side of politics and for good reason. The buck stops with our President. I will vote Republican, but I will not thow my money to the wind. I'll save my cash for 2012!

You're analyses is pretty much dead on. With such lucid objectivity why are you still a Republican? The party has made it perfectly clear that people such as you (and I) are no longer welcome there. This nation was served poorly in the last 8 years by this President. He's marginalized his own political party as a party of partisan racist authoritarian extremist. I can only imagine how much better this country would have been served in 2000 had McCain been nominated over Bush. I think McCain was right when he said he'd have beaten Al Gore like an old rug. Even if that's put aside it's obvious how this nation would have been better off with either a McCain or Gore Presidency. That's the problem now for McCain, his time was in 2000 and he lost, his time is now past. He will lose to Obama but not before he saves the Republican party from itself. I think 20 or 40 years from now John McCain will be remembered as the man who saved the Republican party after the disastrous Bush years.

I was looking at the polls for the senate race here in NM. Domenici's seat is open and if Udal wins the democratic primary he will kill Heather Wilson or Steve Pearce and NM will gain a seat for the Dems.

Back