GOP in a major election slump

floridafan

Verified User
In the 11 months since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, Republicans have underperformed in federal, judicial, statewide and local elections across the country.

Why it matters: Abortion isn't the only factor driving their election woes, especially in local races. But a toxic party brand can easily trickle down-ballot, and the GOP so far hasn't been able to navigate the voter backlash that began with a New York special election last August.

Driving the news: Jacksonville on Tuesday elected its second Democratic mayor in 30 years, with Donna Deegan upsetting Daniel Davis — a Republican endorsed by Gov. Ron DeSantis — in Florida's largest city.

It was the first major election in Florida since DeSantis signed a six-week abortion ban — which a March poll found 75% of Florida residents oppose — in a private ceremony close to midnight last month.

In Colorado Springs, Colorado, independent businessman Yemi Mobolade was elected the first non-Republican mayor since 1979 — a "political earthquake" in a conservative stronghold, according to local media.
In Pennsylvania, Democrats held on to their one-seat state House majority by winning a special election in the Philadelphia suburbs, allowing them to block a GOP-backed referendum on limiting abortion rights.
By the numbers: Across 18 state legislative races held this year, including yesterday, Democrats have outperformed the 2020 presidential results by an average of six points, according to a Washington Post analysis.

In Wisconsin's Supreme Court election last month, a liberal judge defeated the conservative candidate by 11 points in a race defined by abortion rights.
https://www.axios.com/2023/05/17/abortion-republicans-losing-elections

In the 11 months since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, Republicans have underperformed in federal, judicial, statewide and local elections across the country.

Why it matters: Abortion isn't the only factor driving their election woes, especially in local races. But a toxic party brand can easily trickle down-ballot, and the GOP so far hasn't been able to navigate the voter backlash that began with a New York special election last August.

Driving the news: Jacksonville on Tuesday elected its second Democratic mayor in 30 years, with Donna Deegan upsetting Daniel Davis — a Republican endorsed by Gov. Ron DeSantis — in Florida's largest city.

It was the first major election in Florida since DeSantis signed a six-week abortion ban — which a March poll found 75% of Florida residents oppose — in a private ceremony close to midnight last month.

In Colorado Springs, Colorado, independent businessman Yemi Mobolade was elected the first non-Republican mayor since 1979 — a "political earthquake" in a conservative stronghold, according to local media.
In Pennsylvania, Democrats held on to their one-seat state House majority by winning a special election in the Philadelphia suburbs, allowing them to block a GOP-backed referendum on limiting abortion rights.
By the numbers: Across 18 state legislative races held this year, including yesterday, Democrats have outperformed the 2020 presidential results by an average of six points, according to a Washington Post analysis.

In Wisconsin's Supreme Court election last month, a liberal judge defeated the conservative candidate by 11 points in a race defined by abortion rights.
https://www.axios.com/2023/05/17/abortion-republicans-losing-elections

Excellent. People are sick of grievance politics and the Republicans' fascist attempts to insert government into citizens' private health care decisions. They had best be hoping that the Supreme Court doesn't uphold a ban on the medical abortion drug, or it's going to be another bloodbath for them come next year.

I haven’t ran the numbers yet but I would wager that elections haven’t actually changed beyond the normal flux rate.

Some democrats win and some republicans win as usual

State elections are completely different than national elections and republicans did take the house so that was huge and they are only one seat down in the senate so I am not sure how you consider that losing

I haven’t ran the numbers yet but I would wager that elections haven’t actually changed beyond the normal flux rate.

Some democrats win and some republicans win as usual

State elections are completely different than national elections and republicans did take the house so that was huge and they are only one seat down in the senate so I am not sure how you consider that losing

not to mention the Governors

Back