government robs another innocent american of their hard earned cash

https://landline.media/texas-jury-rejects-truckers-claim-to-seized-money/

The case for seizing Woods’ money

Woods was traveling from his home in Natchez, Miss., when he was pulled over on I-10.

The seized money was not counted at the traffic stop. Sheriff’s office employees later counted $41,680. A sheriff’s office dog was reported having later detected the odor of drugs on the money.

The money was seized in May 2019. An investigation was begun June 2021, according to the lawsuit complaint. It took Harris County 27 months to serve Woods and Davis with notice of the state’s petition to forfeit their property.

During the five-day trial, Harris County attorneys grilled Woods about the sources of his income, which included family members, gambling, racing horses, working, selling food, conducting parties, and other sources. He also was grilled on the location of his residence, either an apartment or a rural trailer.

He also was asked why he didn’t shop for a truck or trailer closer to home.

It was suggested that he was going to Houston to buy illegal drugs or that he was laundering drug money.

Officers said Woods acted nervous during the traffic stop, including nervous laughing, pulling on his shirt, trying to lead conversation, and voluntarily explaining he had a CDL.

While individual gestures did not necessarily suggest Woods was lying and was involved in illegal business, taken together they added up, the lead officer at the traffic stop said during the trial.

“My training, my experience, tells me this is drug money,” he said.
Constitutional questions

The level of evidence for seizing money and taking it through civil asset forfeiture is much lower than to charge someone with a crime.

The complaint brought on behalf of Woods and Davis made three general allegations:

Texas has no procedure for obtaining a prompt, post-seizure hearing before civil-forfeiture proceedings. The process takes weeks, months or years. This makes it difficult for property owners to challenge an officer’s probable-cause determination.
A person who asserts their innocence in civil-forfeiture proceedings is required to prove their own innocence.
Law enforcement agencies and prosecutors keep the proceeds from civil-forfeiture cases, which is a strong incentive to seize cash.

https://landline.media/texas-jury-rejects-truckers-claim-to-seized-money/

The case for seizing Woods’ money

Woods was traveling from his home in Natchez, Miss., when he was pulled over on I-10.

The seized money was not counted at the traffic stop. Sheriff’s office employees later counted $41,680. A sheriff’s office dog was reported having later detected the odor of drugs on the money.

The money was seized in May 2019. An investigation was begun June 2021, according to the lawsuit complaint. It took Harris County 27 months to serve Woods and Davis with notice of the state’s petition to forfeit their property.

During the five-day trial, Harris County attorneys grilled Woods about the sources of his income, which included family members, gambling, racing horses, working, selling food, conducting parties, and other sources. He also was grilled on the location of his residence, either an apartment or a rural trailer.

He also was asked why he didn’t shop for a truck or trailer closer to home.

It was suggested that he was going to Houston to buy illegal drugs or that he was laundering drug money.

Officers said Woods acted nervous during the traffic stop, including nervous laughing, pulling on his shirt, trying to lead conversation, and voluntarily explaining he had a CDL.

While individual gestures did not necessarily suggest Woods was lying and was involved in illegal business, taken together they added up, the lead officer at the traffic stop said during the trial.

“My training, my experience, tells me this is drug money,” he said.
Constitutional questions

The level of evidence for seizing money and taking it through civil asset forfeiture is much lower than to charge someone with a crime.

The complaint brought on behalf of Woods and Davis made three general allegations:

Texas has no procedure for obtaining a prompt, post-seizure hearing before civil-forfeiture proceedings. The process takes weeks, months or years. This makes it difficult for property owners to challenge an officer’s probable-cause determination.
A person who asserts their innocence in civil-forfeiture proceedings is required to prove their own innocence.
Law enforcement agencies and prosecutors keep the proceeds from civil-forfeiture cases, which is a strong incentive to seize cash.

So like the gold digging monkey that accused trump but couldn't even remember in what year the event took place, all that's needed is an accusation. Sad. Not a stitch of evidence

He’s a black guy traveling thru Texas carrying a large sum of cash, and you are wondering why he wasn’t given his money back? As the local authorities explained, “my experience, tells me this is drug money,” of course he is, he’s black, it’s Texas

I think it was 60 Minutes that did a story of it a few years ago. This is standard procedure in many small towns. It is how they support the police department.

This is common. They have an excuse to steal people's money and cannot pass it up.

In Arizona, a law was passed several years ago that requires law enforcement agencies in the state to either press charges or give money confiscated back.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...eforming-civil-forfeiture-arizona/4883533001/

Several state prosecutors and law enforcement agencies whined about it passing, but it was a needed reform. You can't steal people's money in Arizona as a law enforcement agency if you can't press charges or get a conviction.

He’s a black guy traveling thru Texas carrying a large sum of cash, and you are wondering why he wasn’t given his money back? As the local authorities explained, “my experience, tells me this is drug money,” of course he is, he’s black, it’s Texas

Innocent till proven guilty in a court of law.

This is common. They have an excuse to steal people's money and cannot pass it up.

The whole center of the country is full of red states where police can seize money with no evidence whatsoever. It is dangerous to drive from one coast to another with money. It is a disgrace to America.

During the beginning of the pandemic, I had to make an emergency drive to Colorado to keep a backup facility functioning. I literally had a letter personally signed by Mnuchin, delivered to me by an Air Force colonel. I also had $8k in cash from my personal funds. That was dangerous.

Luckily the two police officers I had contact with did not care about searching for money. The one police officer I showed the Mnuchin Letter to had no idea who Mnuchin was. I now have the letter framed.

Have you noticed that when Republicans do evil things, it suddenly magically becomes "the government" who did it?

i'm sure there are some idiots here who do that, just like there are some democrats doing the same thing. I am not one of them. now, would you care to focus on the topic or are you more interested in deflecting?

The whole center of the country is full of red states where police can seize money with no evidence whatsoever. It is dangerous to drive from one coast to another with money. It is a disgrace to America.

During the beginning of the pandemic, I had to make an emergency drive to Colorado to keep a backup facility functioning. I literally had a letter personally signed by Mnuchin, delivered to me by an Air Force colonel. I also had $8k in cash from my personal funds. That was dangerous.

Luckily the two police officers I had contact with did not care about searching for money. The one police officer I showed the Mnuchin Letter to had no idea who Mnuchin was. I now have the letter framed.

and yet it happens in all 50 states.....without evidence. your anecdotal trip means nothing.

It really does not. Most of Blue States have state laws forbidding it, or have courts that interpret the state constitutions to forbid it.

this would be wrong, at least up until the last two years. but I know you have to defend blue at all costs, even if you're lying or just willfully ignorant.

Back