Greed Is Not Good

DeMartMan

For years the Republican Party has been described as the party of the rich, by the rich and for the rich. This has angered those Republicans who are anything but wealthy and rightly complain that such comments wrongly exclude the Democratic Party. All anyone need to is look at how both parties’ conventions were paid for by corporate donors. The truth is that where everything that the Republican Party does is to the benefit of the rich and a good portion of the Democratic Party are just as bad. Then there are those Progressives in the Democratic Party who do fight for the little guy, but sadly the Corporatists out number them in Congress. This video is a look at the economic element of greed within Capitalism from a Christian point of view.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jambmPlcuhk"]YouTube- Greed Is Not Good[/ame]

For years the Republican Party has been described as the party of the rich, by the rich and for the rich. This has angered those Republicans who are anything but wealthy and rightly complain that such comments wrongly exclude the Democratic Party. All anyone need to is look at how both parties’ conventions were paid for by corporate donors. The truth is that where everything that the Republican Party does is to the benefit of the rich and a good portion of the Democratic Party are just as bad. Then there are those Progressives in the Democratic Party who do fight for the little guy, but sadly the Corporatists out number them in Congress. This video is a look at the economic element of greed within Capitalism from a Christian point of view.

YouTube- Greed Is Not Good

Excellent post and video, Marty. I find it baffling how anyone can support such actions as those which the banks are involved in regarding credit cards.

A couple of weeks ago I received a notice from my bank/CC company setting my CC interest rate at 3%. Of course I don't have a balance running. If I did run up a large balance I'm sure that would change. HA!

About 8 years ago one CC company raised my limit to more than my yearly net pay! In the past usually payments were calculated so as the entire balance would be paid off in three years so monthly payments were approximately 1/36 of the balance plus interest.

Then they changed the monthly payment. It was the interest and such a minimal amount off the principal that, when calculated, it would take over twenty years to pay off the balance!

Even though CC loans are not secured the same way as, for example, a mortgage the companies know what a person owns (is worth). They can always sue for the balance owing so they want one to keep a high balance. The problem is when the monthly payment was re-calculated it gave people the idea they owed less than they did as they were used to associating the monthly payment with 1/36 of the total.

Anyway, your video is good, educational material for those who weren't aware of how banks/CCs operate. The so-called "invisible hand" needs to be subjected to Muslim justice and chopped off! :rofl:

Excellent post and video, Marty. I find it baffling how anyone can support such actions as those which the banks are involved in regarding credit cards.

A couple of weeks ago I received a notice from my bank/CC company setting my CC interest rate at 3%. Of course I don't have a balance running. If I did run up a large balance I'm sure that would change. HA!

About 8 years ago one CC company raised my limit to more than my yearly net pay! In the past usually payments were calculated so as the entire balance would be paid off in three years so monthly payments were approximately 1/36 of the balance plus interest.

Then they changed the monthly payment. It was the interest and such a minimal amount off the principal that, when calculated, it would take over twenty years to pay off the balance!

Even though CC loans are not secured the same way as, for example, a mortgage the companies know what a person owns (is worth). They can always sue for the balance owing so they want one to keep a high balance. The problem is when the monthly payment was re-calculated it gave people the idea they owed less than they did as they were used to associating the monthly payment with 1/36 of the total.

Anyway, your video is good, educational material for those who weren't aware of how banks/CCs operate. The so-called "invisible hand" needs to be subjected to Muslim justice and chopped off! :rofl:

Thank you for your words. I think that the problem is one of addiction; it's not that these Bankers or even Insurance executives are bad people; they are just addicted to greed. The more that they have the more that they want and to be honest here, we all can fall into that trap. I might not be a rich Banker, but I too have a problem with accepting what is enough. I own two vehicles, one is a sports car which is now seventeen years old and has over 200,000 miles on it. Needless to say, I would like a new one, but I don't really need it and I find myself wanting what I cannot afford. Jesus said to avoid all forms of greed, which means that I cannot point a finger at those Bankers unless I am willing to do some self evaluations.

I just finished reading Ayn Rand's biography today. As she would say greed is great.

All I can say is that she should tell that to all those who died in slavery. Yeah, to the one who is taking it might well seem great, but in the end does having a lot really make us happy?

All I can say is that she should tell that to all those who died in slavery. Yeah, to the one who is taking it might well seem great, but in the end does having a lot really make us happy?

she was all about the freedom of the individual and would never support slavery. Not sure how you equate greed with slavery.

she was all about the freedom of the individual and would never support slavery. Not sure how you equate greed with slavery.

Because it was greed that enslaved, just like it is greed which would deny someone a fair day's wage or the medical care which they have paid for over the years. Lets be honest here, we do not have absolute freedom and that is a good thing. Here is an example, when imitation ice cream was first coming out one was found to have been flavored with floor polish. I am sure that you would want to have those making your food to be regulated even if it infringed on some of their freedoms. With this I must call it a night, but I do want to say that I have enjoyed talking to everyone. Life can be hard at times, but I do enjoy the trading of ideas.

Thank you for your words. I think that the problem is one of addiction; it's not that these Bankers or even Insurance executives are bad people; they are just addicted to greed. The more that they have the more that they want and to be honest here, we all can fall into that trap. I might not be a rich Banker, but I too have a problem with accepting what is enough. I own two vehicles, one is a sports car which is now seventeen years old and has over 200,000 miles on it. Needless to say, I would like a new one, but I don't really need it and I find myself wanting what I cannot afford. Jesus said to avoid all forms of greed, which means that I cannot point a finger at those Bankers unless I am willing to do some self evaluations.

I, also, have nothing against honest business transactions. The problem is the low interest rates offered to people are a lure. The rates can be changed at any time even when there is no catalyst for change such as is happening now and portrayed in your video by the man whose interest has skyrocketed even though interest rates are lower than they've ever been.

Back