Gun control

KingRaw!

I dare you to stop us GL
I don't think anyone should just be allowed to own a gun. Criminals, nutjobs, minors, retards etc should not have guns. Only responsible people should have them. And there must be a backgound check on every person who wants to purchase one. That seems pretty reasonable to me. But I'm sure some gun-nuts here will say I'm a control freak who wants to force everyone to live under my radical terrorist far-left views.

Anyone with a felony record cannot own a gun. People with certain mental illnesses and medical diagnosis cannot buy a gun. I am pretty sure minors cannot purchase a gun without their parent being with them.

These are already covered in current laws that are unlikely to be challenged.

But how did that Virginia tech guy get a gun?

Two reasons:

First, his diagnosis, if I recall correctly, does not automatically get his right to own a firearm removed. Just because you see a therapist does not automatically remove your right to own a firearm.

Second, the states do not enter enough data into the federal database.

Well that's just stupid. Anyone with mental diseases like suicidal depression and homicidal thoughts, who sees a therapist should not be allowed to own a gun.

Well that's just stupid. Anyone with mental diseases like suicidal depression and homicidal thoughts, who sees a therapist should not be allowed to own a gun.

I don't think suicidal depression is one of the illnesses that gets your guns taken away. Anyone who really wants to commit suicide can do it without a gun.

Homicidal tendencies I agree with. But the therapist has to file a report that the patient is a danger, and then it should be entered into the federal database.

The system isn't perfect, but it sure beats the wholesale banning of all privately owned firearms.

Back