Guns and Self Defense

But if harm reduction is the goal, policymakers should pause to consider how many crimes--murders, rapes, assaults, robberies--are thwarted by ordinary persons who were fortunate enough to have access to a gun

Not bad, anyone who thinks of "harm reduction" as a philosophy for policy, has got to have something going for it.
I did a little reasearch, they're againt the expansion of AfPak too. I got new repsect for CATO, never checked into them much, just thought of them as George Will.

Harm reduction thru gunz, now i've seen it all, but in fairness there is some, there is also a great deal of harm thru guns.
But ill leave it there.

I remember several of us getting a kick out the incident at Longtown, OK. That is a small community near the lake on which I fish the occasional bass tournament. Other than that I don't remember hearing much about the incidents in OK but from reading I'd say don't try to break in on a lady who has a shotgun...especially if she has kids.

I remember several of us getting a kick out the incident at Longtown, OK. That is a small community near the lake on which I fish the occasional bass tournament. Other than that I don't remember hearing much about the incidents in OK but from reading I'd say don't try to break in on a lady who has a shotgun...especially if she has kids.

When I lived in Sarasota FL, there was an incident where 3 thugs broke in to a little old lady's house in the middle of the night. As I recall 2 of them got out, one died in the yard and one kept running. The lady was almost 90 years old.

poster-gop-jesus-guns.jpeg

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcdguse.html

Professor Kleck on Defensive Gun Use. (DGU) Read and learn.

That's twice I've seen Kleck brought up here. The first time Damo did. When I asked him if there was a later study than 1991, there was no reply.

Why is that?

Because the NRA can't fudge the numbers again. And even Kleck refuses to defend his original fudged numbers.

The gun lobby’s favorite pieces of research – a 1995 study by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz that reported an astounding 2.5 million defense gun uses each year in the United States. Yep, you read it right.

The Kleck study claims that 2.5 million times per year, someone uses a gun to defend themselves. That’s more defensive gun uses than happened in WWII in Europe in 1944. The Kleck study is so flawed the only thing it measures is the wild imagination of gun owners.
As recently as this month, the NRA referenced Kleck’s deeply flawed and thoroughly refuted study AGAIN in their magazine, America’s 1st Freedom.
With the help of liars like Alan Korwin and others, the NRA continues to feed its readers demonstrable lies and distortions.

Here, for your reference, is a short list of the may peer reviewed, refereed, academic articles published that clearly refute Kleck’s astronomical claim.*

“The gun debate’s new mythical number: How many defensive uses per year?” Journal of Police Analysis and Management, 1997
“The myth of millions of annual self-defense gun use: A case study of survey overestimates of rare events” Chance – American Statistical Association, 1997
“Defensive Gun Uses: New Evidence from a National Survey” Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 1998
“The Relative Frequency of Offensive and Defensive Gun Uses: Results from a National Survey”, Violence and Victims, 2000
“Myths about Defensive Gun Use and Permissive Gun Carry Laws” Berkeley Media Studies Group, 2000
“Comparing the Incidence of Self-Defense Gun Use and Criminal Gun Use” Harvard Injury Control Research Center, 2009

The ultimate proof the Kleck claim is bullshit, is the fact that despite spending 35 million dollars/year to deceive the public and threaten politicians, in fourteen years since the study, the gun lobby has funded numerous FAILED attempts to repeat Kleck’s study.

*It should be noted that Gary Kleck has refused to defend his study ever since it was published.

So we have six studies from later dates, all the way up to 2009, that prove your (and Kleck's premise) wrong.

Why didn't you post them?

Back