Hamas gambled with our lives

Cypress

‘Hamas gambled with our lives’: Gazans are now daring to speak out

Across the Gaza Strip – from markets to evacuee camps to social media channels – Palestinian frustration and anger with Hamas is on the rise.

Complaints began with Hamas’ apparent disregard for Gaza civilians who faced the brunt of Israel’s punishing military response to the Oct. 7 attack while Hamas fighters remained in tunnels.

Now, with starvation, profiteering, and internal chaos on the rise, the militant group that has ruled the strip for 17 years is nowhere to be found.

“We did not choose to be in a war that takes us from our homes, [takes] the lives of loved ones, and puts our lives in a death game that we knew nothing about,” says Bisan Nateel, a youth organizer for a local Gaza nongovernmental organization.

“Hamas didn’t warn us or give any instructions to protect or help people. I don’t know what they were thinking or what they expected people to do, but this is unacceptable for everyone in Gaza,” says Walid, an aid worker in central Gaza who declined to use his full name. “I feel that Hamas gambled with our lives at stake, and lost.”

Two salient points I take away.

The Hamas ruling authority had months to plan sneak attacks on unarmed teenagers, but even knowing there would be a military retaliation they made no contingency plans to protect and provide for their own civilians.

The criticism from Gazans against Hamas are from people who aren't willing to give their full name. Undoubtedly, the specter of retaliation by Hamas is ever present. In democratic Israel, citizens who oppose their government's actions generally aren't afraid of retaliation.

I would like to see more of that kind of democracy take root in southwest Asia and North Africa.

Back