Happy Birthday US Coast Guard...

This auspicious occasion is shared by Mrs. Philomena Handbasket of 38, Acacia Villas, Gascoigne Rd., British West Hartlepool. Philomena is endeavouring to enter the Guiness Book of Records by sitting in the same armchair and watching back to back repeats of Big Brother. The record she has to beat is five years and two hundred and thirty five days. With only seven days to go Mrs. Handbasket said, 'This is one of the most important things in my life. I am eighty nine years old and to have my name in the Guiness book would be wonderful.'

my buddy is a coast guard swimmer or whatever the dude is called that jumps from helicopters

he is fucking bad ass

that is all

Today is the 221st Birthday of the US Coastguard...
I've worked a lot in the past in my field of work with Coasties and I've always been deeply impressed with their personnel. By far the most elite branch of the armed services. Those guys are sharp! I mean elite members of other branches of the armed services would be run of the mill in the USCG. That's how good they are. They only take the best and the brightest.

So they don't keep some back for personal use?
It would be extremely unusual. These guys are true professionals. These guys go into situations routinely that would make the bravest of the brave shit themselves. Let me tell you too....if the Coast Guard calls you up as a contractor and requests you to bid on a project or job, that says a hell of a lot about your company cause they don't do business with just anyone.

On a more serious note...

Q: Why do they require all the Coast Guard guys to be over six feet tall?

A: So if their boat sinks they can walk to shore.

No. I don't remember ever seeing a tribute... And you are the only one that seems to be missing info, well other than Jarod. I had to delete a couple of his posts that were glitched by the dbase errors.

This auspicious occasion is shared by Mrs. Philomena Handbasket of 38, Acacia Villas, Gascoigne Rd., British West Hartlepool. Philomena is endeavouring to enter the Guiness Book of Records by sitting in the same armchair and watching back to back repeats of Big Brother. The record she has to beat is five years and two hundred and thirty five days. With only seven days to go Mrs. Handbasket said, 'This is one of the most important things in my life. I am eighty nine years old and to have my name in the Guiness book would be wonderful.'

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Philomena Handbasket. She had remained almost motionless on the same sofa for an incredible two hundred and thirty four days and would have celebrated her ninetieth birthday had she lived that long.
Her daughter, Hepsibah Jones (nee Handbasket) has vowed to continue her mothers fight for Guinness Book recognition. [AFP]

Back