Happy Loving Day

Jarod

Contributor
Richard and Mildrid Loving were in love, both adults...

They got married, and began there lives together.

Shortly thereafter they were arrested and spend time in jail for having gotten married.

This was in the United States of America...

On this date only 41 years ago, the Supreme Court, in what many complained was an abuse of its power, struck down the prohibition against interracial marriage in the state of Virginia and 13 other states, based on the right to Privacy (freedom).

You see, Richard was white and Mildrid was black. Richard Loving died four years later in an auto accident. Mildrid died last year.

Amazing, only 41 years ago people spent time in jail for being married to a member of a different race.

So in rememberance.... Happy Loving Day!

Some might imagine a post like this 45 years from now... about gay marriages.

Loving v Virginia is one of the many bright spots in the Warren court. It is a case that have book marked on my computer at the office just because I think as a lawyer you should be able to bring up some of the cases that forced government sanctioned racism to retreat. Mildred Loving died last month at the age of 68. She and her husband Richard were brave souls that fought racism when they could have just left their home state and not had any further repercussions.

Loving v Virginia is one of the many bright spots in the Warren court. It is a case that have book marked on my computer at the office just because I think as a lawyer you should be able to bring up some of the cases that forced government sanctioned racism to retreat. Mildred Loving died last month at the age of 68. She and her husband Richard were brave souls that fought racism when they could have just left their home state and not had any further repercussions.

It is quite possably my favorate supreme court case.

Back