Has anyone ever passed a field sobriety test?

Tinkerpeach

I would love to hear from some cops or people with knowledge because if someone is stopped for possible DUI and they pass the field sobriety test are they ever just let go?

I'm thinking they aren't meaning that there is no point in agreeing to take them.

I don't know though.

I've never heard of a single person being released with no further action after passing a field sobriety test.

I would love to hear from some cops or people with knowledge because if someone is stopped for possible DUI and they pass the field sobriety test are they ever just let go?

I'm thinking they aren't meaning that there is no point in agreeing to take them.

I don't know though.

I've never heard of a single person being released with no further action after passing a field sobriety test.

If you pass the test you are let go. It is that simple.

I was eating some sliders and dropped one. I was driving down the street and a cop pulled me over for wandering. I was trying to pick it up. There were no cars around me. They gave me a sobriety test and then let me go.

I don't know though.

If you pass, refuse, or whatever, and the cop(s) think you are over the limit, you are getting cuffed regardless. That test isn't the be-all and end-all of it. The official blow test or blood test is the gold standard here. You are over, you are done. A field sobriety test is voluntary and pre-arrest. It can be used against you, but it is not the official test necessary for a conviction, the blow test on a calibrated machine is.

All you are doing if you let them give you the roadside test is giving them more evidence to use against you. You should always refuse and just take the blow test as that's the only one that matters. If they're not dead sure you're going to fail, they won't put the effort in to take you for that test.

If you pass, refuse, or whatever, and the cop(s) think you are over the limit, you are getting cuffed regardless. That test isn't the be-all and end-all of it. The official blow test or blood test is the gold standard here. You are over, you are done. A field sobriety test is voluntary and pre-arrest. It can be used against you, but it is not the official test necessary for a conviction, the blow test on a calibrated machine is.

All you are doing if you let them give you the roadside test is giving them more evidence to use against you. You should always refuse and just take the blow test as that's the only one that matters. If they're not dead sure you're going to fail, they won't put the effort in to take you for that test.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know.

Looks to me like they could be trained and carry the necessary equipment to administer the breathalyzer test on site. It isn’t that difficult though I do not know about the cost. But I agree, a breathalyzer test is the tell tale test. Field sobriety tests are funny when administered to a truly drunk person, though. :)

Looks to me like they could be trained and carry the necessary equipment to administer the breathalyzer test on site. It isn’t that difficult though I do not know about the cost. But I agree, a breathalyzer test is the tell tale test. Field sobriety tests are funny when administered to a truly drunk person, though. :)
Breathalyzers aren’t always accurate. A blood test is the only truly accurate measurement. A jury I was on found a guy not guilty because of a faulty breathalyzer and the police woman failed to get a blood test.

The sobriety field test is a joke for seniors who can still drive fine but can't hop on one leg or say the alphabet backwards.

Also, my daughter is a cop and several police have told me how easy it is for them to alter breathalyzer results.
Never agree to take one. Demand being taken to the hospital for a blood test.

The cop, especially if it's an asshole state cop [they're assholes in every state, blue, purple, or red], will probably refuse
and your license to operate will be suspended up to your court date,
but you won't be convicted if they know you demanded a blood test.

This occurs fairly regularly in Massachusetts, although I've personally never experienced the ordeal, thankfully.

Some police departments already have stuff like that.

The Sniffer – Sneak Cop Tool, Breathalyzer Flashlight
https://www.gadgetking.com/2009/03/...nsor,officer if it detects alcohol in the air.

While in almost every case, these don't count as the "calibrated" test, what they do is provide sufficient evidence to make an arrest and unlike the song and dance on the roadside, it's harder to beat that evidence and it takes far less time for the cop to get it.

Back