Has Obama promised John Edwards Attorney General?

Cypress

Says Novak...

Attorney General Edwards?
by Bob Novak
Friday, January 25, 2008

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Illinois Democrats close to Sen. Barack Obama are quietly passing the word that John Edwards will be named attorney general in an Obama administration.

Installation at the Justice Department of multimillionaire trial lawyer Edwards would please not only the union leaders supporting him for president but organized labor in general. The unions relish the prospect of an unequivocal labor partisan as the nation's top legal officer. (Gee Bob, and that's a bad thing, how? )

In public debates, Obama and Edwards often seem to bond together in alliance against front-running Sen. Hillary Clinton. While running a poor third, Edwards could collect a substantial bag of delegates under the Democratic Party's proportional representation. Edwards then could try to turn his delegates over to Obama in the still unlikely event of a deadlocked Democratic National Convention.

Of course, this is from noted serial liar, and CIA agent-outer Bob Novak, so take it with a grain of salt....

Attorney General John Edwards?

Jonathan Stein - Mother Jones

Bob Novak has a report out that says unnamed "Illinois Democrats" are "quietly passing the word that John Edwards will be named attorney general in an Obama administration." Novak is a hyperpartisan bullshit artist who will make stuff up in order drive a wedge between Democrats, so it's hard to take this all that seriously.

But it does raise an interesting thought experiment. John Edwards is a passionate fighter for the poor, for labor, and for universal health care—he would be a wonderful addition to any Democratic administration. He would be a great attorney general, particularly because he could fight for workers on labor law issues and he could fight for the traditionally disenfranchised on election law. He could really reinvigorate the role of the Secretary of Labor. He could head a regulatory agency like the FDA, where his distaste for corporate power could combine with his passion for fair and affordable health care. And he would make an exciting VP choice for Obama, as I've said for quite some time.

That's a long-winded way of saying, even if he doesn't get the nomination, more Edwards! Of course, the Edwards folks probably don't want to hear that. They want to hear "Edwards for prez!" And that's why the Obama people are floating this rumor, assuming it's true: it gets the progressive media to laud Edwards' potential as an attorney general while further marginalizing his chances for the presidency.

Edwards had better hope not.

Remember the grief John Ashcroft took whe the Dems found out simply that he held religious services after hours. Edwards actually speaks to the dead in the courtroom, DURING business hours, and does his best to sway jury verdicts on that basis! When those same Dems find out someone like THAT is Attorney General, they'll tear him limb from limb!

Ummm, won't they?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/31/p...tml?ex=1201582800&en=a81e47023caf3253&ei=5070

:D

Wow it would be the first time in 8 years that the Civil Rights division actually went out and investigated civil rights violations. Maybe look at the lists of people that have been excluded from voting rolls because they have a name that is 80% the same as someone that is a convicted felon. I would be much more comfortable with Edwards as my Attorney General.

Wow it would be the first time in 8 years that the Civil Rights division actually went out and investigated civil rights violations. Maybe look at the lists of people that have been excluded from voting rolls because they have a name that is 80% the same as someone that is a convicted felon. I would be much more comfortable with Edwards as my Attorney General.

Soc,

You totally forgot the historic use of the civil rights act, for the first time, against a black man. Surely that is to be noted as an accomplishment for the Bush AG's.

Well, I think it's distraction from the Obama campaign, as the Mother Jones writer says. But the legal firepower, and constitutional scholarship between obama and edwards would indeed be cool.

Back