A guy whose heart bursts when night comes
That kind of guy

Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Now let’s go until the end

Some of the main highlights included:

Q: Why were you so mad at that girl’s ass?
* A: Because her ass was so mad.

Q: Who is your inspiration?
* A: Freddie Mercury.

Q: Do you have a favorite Gangnam Style “spoof” video?
* A: Ohio University marching band.

Q: Who is one celebrity you want to meet that you haven’t already?
* A: Tom Cruise.

Q: What’s something that people don’t know about you that you wish they did?
* A: I compose all my music myself.

Q: Is Gangnam style intended to be a social critique, or just supposed to be fun?
* A: GS is not a critique, just FUN!
Q: Can I come and hang out with you in Seoul?
* A: Call me maybe.

Q: If you could collaborate on a song with any one artist / band, who would that artist be?
* A: I love so many but if I had to choose one, Justin Bieber.

Q: How many times did it take to do the elevator portion of your video in Gangnam Style?
* A: That was ad libbed. Nong Chul is the name of the elevator guy and he is very famous comedian in Korea. That is a very popular dirty move he has been doing for six years and I asked him to do it in my video. if I am underneath, it would be dirtier! We only did 2-3 takes and everyone on the video set was crying from laughing. Definitely my favorite scene in the video.

Dozens of music video parodies have been created in tribute to PSY’s “Gangnam Style,” ranging from regional Korean parodies like “Daegu Style” and “Hongdae Style” to lip-synched tributes created by K-POP music fans in Singapore, the United States and elsewhere overseas.

Gangnam Style is a 2012 dance pop single written and performed by Korean pop singer Park Jae Sung, better known by his stage name PSY. Since its release in mid-July 2012, the highly entertaining music video has spawned hundreds of parodies and copycat dance videos on YouTube and surpassed Justin Bieber’s single “Baby” as the most watched video on YouTube with over 826 million views, as of November 26th, 2012.

Gangnam Style is a 2012 dance pop single written and performed by Korean pop singer Park Jae Sung, better known by his stage name PSY. Since its release in mid-July 2012, the highly entertaining music video has spawned hundreds of parodies and copycat dance videos on YouTube and surpassed Justin Bieber’s single “Baby” as the most watched video on YouTube with over 826 million views, as of November 26th, 2012.

thank you watermark

Between late July and early August, the song picked up numerous endorsements from high-profile celebrities and musicians on Twitter, including British pop singer Robbie Williams, American rapper T-Pain and American singer Josh Groban. Weeks later in mid-August, Korean and U.S. news outlets reported on a rumor that Justin Bieber has also shown interest in PSY’s work and a potential between the two singers was in progress. On September 20th, 2012, “Gangnam Style” was officially recognized by the Guinness World Records as the most liked video in YouTube history with 2,141,758 likes at the time of announcement.

The basic premise of the song is about a self-proclaimed hotshot looking for “the perfect girlfriend who knows when to be refined and when to get wild.” The refrain of the song, “Oppan Gangnam Style,” can be translated as “Your Boy’s Gangnam Style” with PSY referring to himself as such. The song’s unexpected popularity has also led to more in-depth readings of its lyrics in the news media, including the widespread assertion that the song is a satire about South Koreans’ materialist obsession with Seoul’s Gangnam district, a symbol of opulence and socioeconomic status. PSY has expressed conflicting views regarding this interpretation in multiple interviews.

The mass appeal of the music video has been attributed to its signature dance move known as “the horse-riding dance.

Upon its release, the song took off on virtually all Korean billboard charts, portal search sites and online music stores, but it began garnering international attention after the music video went viral on YouTube during the third week of July 2012. The video continued gained viral momentum at an average rate of more than 9 million views per day in the span of two months, surpassing Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” to reach the number one position on the YouTube Top 100 Music Videos chart during the last week of August. By mid-September, PSY’s “Gangnam Style” overtook LMFAO’s “Party Rock Anthem” as the most liked video on the site with more than 1.6 million likes.

Oppan gang-namseutayil
Kang-namseutayil
Oppan gang-namseutayil
Kang-namseutayil
Oppan gang-namseutayil

Eh- sexy lady Oppan gang-namseutayil
Eh- sexy lady O-oo-o

Ttwiineun nom keu wiie naneun nom
Baby baby
Naneun mwol jom aneun nom (x2)

You know what i’m saying
Oppan gang-namseutayil

Eh- sexy lady, Oppan gang-namseutayil
Eh- sexy lady,Oppan gang-namseutayil

Which is to say

Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style, Gangnam style
Oppa is Gangnam style

Eh- Sexy Lady, Oppa is Gangnam style
Eh- Sexy Lady oh oh oh oh

On top of the running man is the flying man, baby baby
I’m a man who knows a thing or two
On top of the running man is the flying man, baby baby
I’m a man who knows a thing or two

You know what I’m saying
Oppa is Gangnam style

Eh- Sexy Lady, Oppa is Gangnam style
Eh- Sexy Lady oh oh oh oh

As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I was featured in from eight years ago was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two innocent Korean civilians that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time.

While I'm grateful for the freedom to express one's self I've learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I'm deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months, including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them, and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology.

While it's important we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that though music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology.

Back