Heralded Iraq Police Academy a 'Disaster'

uscitizen

Villified User
Heralded Iraq Police Academy a 'Disaster'

By Amit R. Paley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 28, 2006; Page A01

BAGHDAD, Sept. 27 -- A $75 million project to build the largest police academy in Iraq has been so grossly mismanaged that the campus now poses health risks to recruits and might need to be partially demolished, U.S. investigators have found.

The Baghdad Police College, hailed as crucial to U.S. efforts to prepare Iraqis to take control of the country's security, was so poorly constructed that feces and urine rained from the ceilings in student barracks. Floors heaved inches off the ground and cracked apart. Water dripped so profusely in one room that it was dubbed "the rain forest."

The Baghdad Police College was built so poorly that feces and urine trickle from the ceilings, and floors rise inches off the ground and crack apart.
The Baghdad Police College was built so poorly that feces and urine trickle from the ceilings, and floors rise inches off the ground and crack apart.

"This is the most essential civil security project in the country -- and it's a failure," said Stuart W. Bowen Jr., the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, an independent office created by Congress. "The Baghdad police academy is a disaster."

for complete story goto:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/27/AR2006092702134.html

A $75 million project to build the largest police academy in Iraq has been so grossly mismanaged that the campus now poses health risks to recruits and might need to be partially demolished, U.S. investigators have found.

Must have been built by Halliburton.

"As top U.S. military commanders declared 2006 "the year of the police," in an acknowledgment of their critical role in allowing for any withdrawal of American troops, officials highlighted the Baghdad Police College as one of their success stories.

"This facility has definitely been a top priority," Lt. Col. Joel Holtrop of the Corps of Engineers' Gulf Region Division Project and Contracting Office said in a July news release. "It's a very exciting time as the cadets move into the new structures."

The Parsons contract, which eventually totaled at least $75 million, was terminated May 31 "due to cost overruns, schedule slippage, and sub-standard quality," according to a Sept. 4 internal military memo. But rather than fire the Pasadena, Calif.-based company for cause, the contract was halted for "the government's convenience."

More clips from the story.

Well not this congress anyway, but you never know later. I wonder if congress has hidden protections in a law somewhere to protect their obvious business cronies ?

and this is the way the USA hopes to win the hearts and minds of the iraqi people ???
I wonder how much longer that inspector will have a job....

and this is the way the USA hopes to win the hearts and minds of the iraqi people ???

Obviously, this company was in it for the money. I doubt they gave a shit about hearts and minds.

It takes a great Democrat, to competently run a Marshall Plan ;)

the army corp of engineers is in bed with halliburton... and failed us all.

i have viewed many congressional hearings on other WASTES involved with halliburton, and the army corp of engineers covered it up over and over again, and they continued to rubber stamp future projects even though THEY KNEW of the millions wasted by them in over charging us for incompetant work and charging us for things they never delivered, like food and fresh water to the troops...that they charged us for....

there are a few crooks in the army corp imo....that need some jail time for being bribed by halliburton/kbr to cover up their messes, or ''make light'' of them...

I assume that the Army Corps of Engineers still report thru the chain to Bush the commander in thief ?

not sure 'bout that uscit....

they could be connected or it could be just insiders on the take?!?!

duke cunningham was not directed by bush.... so there could be someone like that with connections, but not likely.....probably the cheney connection...:(

On the coprs of engineers Care, I was referring to their lax oversight of the projects. Yep the cunningham types probably got the companies their no bid jobs in Iraq. Except for Haliburton, I think we all know where that one came from :)

Back