Here is the answer

uscitizen

Villified User
How Did Lone Home Survive Ike?
AOL
posted: 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES AGO

(Sept. 18) - When Hurricane Ike crashed ashore in Texas with 110 mph winds, it left almost nothing behind in the small, coastal town of Gilchrist.
Aerial photographs taken after the storm revealed that the neighborhood that stretched for miles along the narrow peninsula had been swept away with just one exception: a single home left standing, seemingly untouched.
Destruction in the Hurricane Zone

A single home stands in what used to be a neighborhood in Gilchrist, Texas. Judy Hudspeth claims it belongs to her sister, Pam Adams, and that it was rebuilt in 2006 to withstand a Category 5 hurricane.

Some viewers of surreal photographs showing the yellow house that remained amid the wasteland argued that it may be fake. In a debate on iReport.com, a woman named Judy Hudspeth jumped in with a stunning statement: "This is my sister's house. It is real," she wrote.
Hudspeth uploaded a photo of the home taken in May that silenced the skeptics. She explained that her sister and her sister’s husband, Pam and Warren Adams, rebuilt the home in 2006 after it had been destroyed by Hurricane Rita in 2005.
Hudspeth said they hired a contractor to build a structure that could withstand a Category 5 hurricane and watched over the process to assure it was done right.

http://news.aol.com/article/how-did-lone-home-survive-ike/180724?icid=100214839x1209531221x1200578413

cool pic at the site. all we need to do is build em better.

blank.gif

Last edited:
wtf, somebody believed and did it right

i wonder if enough people in ca did the same

of course we used to have earthquake insurance but our state government stepped in and did away with it and replaced it with a state insurance program that is quite costly, poorly funded and has between a 10 and 15% deductible

most single story frame structures will not incur that amount of damage unless they are at ground zero

who thought up this lovely plan, the insurance companies after the northridge quake

The really sad part is that, because they built a house that survived the storm, they may lose it and get nothing for it.

The beach erosion that came as part of Ike, moved the high and low tide lines. There is an old Texas law that does not allow any buildings in the tidal zones.

Those who's houses were destroyed will get paid by their insurance company. But if the Adam's house is now within the zone that causes the state to condemn it, she gets nothing.

There was a large scale condemning of houses after Rita, when the same beach erosion moved the tidal line.

The really sad part is that, because they built a house that survived the storm, they may lose it and get nothing for it.

The beach erosion that came as part of Ike, moved the high and low tide lines. There is an old Texas law that does not allow any buildings in the tidal zones.

Those who's houses were destroyed will get paid by their insurance company. But if the Adam's house is now within the zone that causes the state to condemn it, she gets nothing.

There was a large scale condemning of houses after Rita, when the same beach erosion moved the tidal line.

well of course people that do things right get overpowered and stomped.
People that do thenigs wrong (most of us) get rewarded for doing things wrong.

Bailouts, etc...

well of course people that do things right get overpowered and stomped.
People that do thenigs wrong (most of us) get rewarded for doing things wrong.

Bailouts, etc...

Of course, living on the coast always means you have variable property lines and the potential for your property to disappear.

Of course, living on the coast always means you have variable property lines and the potential for your property to disappear.

Yep. I I think people are not too smart to build on a coast in a hurricane xzone anyway.

My point of this post was the nedd for good building codes for those that do build in stupid places so as to keep the disaster fund costs down for the rest of us. and to reduce misery for those that do build on sandbars in hurricane zones.

Yep. I I think people are not too smart to build on a coast in a hurricane xzone anyway.

My point of this post was the nedd for good building codes for those that do build in stupid places so as to keep the disaster fund costs down for the rest of us. and to reduce misery for those that do build on sandbars in hurricane zones.

There was a monolithic dome that survived a direct hit by Hurricane Ivan too.

Here is a story about one that survived Charlie, Francis and then Jean.

http://static.monolithic.com/domenews/2004/elkins.html

Building to withstand hurricanes acn be done. It costs a bit more, but well worth it.

Back