He's asking you to believe

"The foreign language requirement forms part of Columbia College’s mission to prepare students to be tomorrow’s conscientious and informed citizens. Knowledge of another’s language and literature is the most important way to begin to know a country and people. The study of a foreign language:

The requirement may be satisfied in one of the following ways:

1. Satisfactory completion of the second term of an intermediate language sequence.
2. Demonstration of an equivalent competence through the appropriate score on the SAT II Subject Test or Advanced Placement Tests.
3. Demonstration of an equivalent competence through the College’s own placement tests (consult the department through which the language is offered).
4. The successful completion of an advanced level foreign language or literature course that requires 1202 or the equivalent as a prerequisite. This course must be taken for a letter grade.
5. Students whose native language is not English are not required to take an additional foreign language or an achievement test if they have completed the secondary school requirement in the native language
."

"Degree candidates must meet a foreign language requirement in a language with a written component that is taught at Harvard or for which an appropriate examination with a written component can be given. The requirement can be satisfied in one of the following ways:

* Earning a minimum score of 600 on a College Entrance Examination Board SAT II Test that includes a reading component, or
* Earning a passing score as determined by the department on a placement examination administered by certain language departments, or
* Passing with a letter grade one appropriate full course or two half-courses of instruction in one language at Harvard. These courses may not include foreign literature courses conducted in English.

In addition, students who have earned scores on language examinations that would normally count toward advanced standing (for example, a minimum score of 5 on a College Board Advanced Placement Examination or a minimum score of 7 on an International Baccalaureate Higher Level Examination) will be deemed to have satisfied the language requirement, regardless of whether they have a sufficient number of such scores to qualify for advanced standing and whether they choose to accept advanced standing.
"

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~advising/language_requirement.html

After attending Occidental College, Obama received a undergraduate degree from Columbia University in 1983 and a law degree from Harvard in 1991

What foreign language does Obama speak after attending these institutions of higher learning?

Indisputable, do you have a working knowledge of every class you ever took to satisfy a requirement?

These constant cheap shots are looking more and more desperate.

Well you ignorant fuck. You just demonstrated that you didn't go to college or university as foreign language requirements have been around a long, long time.

I'm not discussing myself.

I haven't lectured others on the need "make your child bilingual".

I don't find it "embarrassing" that "all we can say is merci beaucoup".

But, enough about me.

Obama has done all these things.

Has he failed to do them himself?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZprtPat1Vk"]YouTube - Barack Obama: Your Children Should Learn To Speak Spanish[/ame]

I'm not discussing myself.

I haven't lectured others on the need "make your child bilingual".

I don't find it "embarrassing" that "all we can say is merci beaucoup".

But, enough about me.

Obama has done all these things.

Has he failed to do them himself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZprtPat1Vk

Oh you aint getting off the hook on this one oh ignorant one. You're the one accusing others of being elitist when the fact is, your a lazy gutless coward who is so totally lacking in intelligence and imagination that you cannot see how advantages it is to our nation to improve the language skills of our public. This rates right up there with improving our nations performance in literacy, mathamatics and science and we all know how opposed to sound science education you wing nuts are.

With such a soundly researched and well-reasoned argument expressed in such precise yet poetic language, how can I possibly fail to see the inherent justice of your viewpoint?

With such a soundly researched and well-reasoned argument expressed in such precise yet poetic language, how can I possibly fail to see the inherent justice of your viewpoint?

Justice? This isn't about justice. This is why most people on this board view you as a blythering idiot. This is about our future and being competitive in the market place of the world and in the market place of ideas.

With the advent of the internet and modern telecommunications the world has grown a hell of a lot smaller and our interaction with those from other cultures is growing exponentially while in this nation our performance in absolutely critical educational areas required to be competitive, such as, math, science and languages is nearly at third world levels.

How the hell can the USA maintain it's competitive excellence with reactionary wacko's like you trying to dummy down our educational system in order to sooth your 18th century zeitgeist?

Back