Hey Look! It's McCain Not Touting His Vietnam Service and POW Status Again

Bonestorm

Thrillhouse
No way. Not John McCain. He'd never present his military service and POW status as his qualification to be president and he isn't in this ad or any of those other ads focusing on his military service and POW status:

Carefull, saying that getting shot down in an airplane is not a qualification to be president is apperantly a very evil thing to say and is very disrespctfull to those who served in the military.

Carefull, saying that getting shot down in an airplane is not a qualification to be president is apperantly a very evil thing to say and is very disrespctfull to those who served in the military.

It's actually a page right out of the Bush playbook. Questioning Bush's service (or lack thereof) was akin to "denigrating the Guard":

Mr. President, this campaign is fully engaged. The chairman of the Democratic National Committee, Terence McAuliffe, said this last week: "I look forward to that debate when John Kerry, a war hero with a chest full of medals, is standing next to George Bush, a man who was AWOL in the Alabama National Guard. He didn't show up when he should have showed up…"

President Bush: Yeah.

Russert: How do you respond?

President Bush: Political season is here. I was — I served in the National Guard. I flew F-102 aircraft. I got an honorable discharge. I've heard this — I've heard this ever since I started running for office. I — I put in my time, proudly so.

I would be careful to not denigrate the Guard. It's fine to go after me, which I expect the other side will do. I wouldn't denigrate service to the Guard, though, and the reason I wouldn't, is because there are a lot of really fine people who have served in the National Guard and who are serving in the National Guard today in Iraq.

McSame!

The John McCain of 2000 would not vote for the John McCain of 2008.

In light of the Iraqi insistence on a withdrawal timeline for our troops, I'm wondering if the John McCain of 2008 agrees with the John McCain of 2004:

What would or should we do if, in the post-June 30th period, a so-called sovereign Iraqi government asks us to leave, even if we are unhappy about the security situation there? I understand it's a hypothetical, but it's at least possible.

McCAIN: Well, if that scenario evolves, then I think it's obvious that we would have to leave because— if it was an elected government of Iraq— and we've been asked to leave other places in the world. If it were an extremist government, then I think we would have other challenges, but I don't see how we could stay when our whole emphasis and policy has been based on turning the Iraqi government over to the Iraqi people.

The guy is a joke.

http://www.cfr.org/publication/6973/

The ad focuses on reform, it is smart to start running for the middle. It was foolish of him to try to run for the right to begin with.

Back