Hillary's Dilemma

The Bare Knuckled Pundit

Grand Inquisitor
Energizing her party with the passionate support of millions, a strong, independent American woman stands on the threshold of history. An inspiration to her gender, she has come to embody the dream of women being professionally successful and personally fulfilled.

Balancing both a historic political career and the demands of motherhood and matrimony, she is living the dreams of those who came before her and setting the standard for those to follow. The first woman on her party’s presidential ticket, the American people will decide on November 4th what the next entry will be beneath her name in our country’s history.

By the way, did I mention her name is Sarah Palin?

The prospect of this surely vexes Senator Hillary Clinton just as much as it delights Palin and her supporters. That being said, the question facing Senator Clinton in the wake of Palin’s meteoric rise is – How does Palin impact the future prospects of her still unfulfilled presidential aspirations? The answers lie at the heart of Hillary’s dilemma.

Being a lifelong feminist, one of the driving forces that propelled Senator Clinton’s presidential dreams was the hope of being the nation’s first female president. Having been thwarted by Barack Obama’s equally historic pursuit of the Democratic presidential nomination this year, Clinton’s dreams, while not destroyed, were at the very least delayed.

Should Obama win the presidency and serve two terms, currently 60 years-old, Hillary’s window of opportunity would still be open in 2016. While opinions differ on whether or not a run for the White House at age 68 would be viable for her, there’s little doubt that the additional experience added to her resume between now and then - including a potential stint as Governor of New York – would only enhance her chances should she mount another campaign for the Oval Office.

On a potentially darker political note, should Obama find himself taking on the visage of a modern Jimmy Carter, Clinton could become the rallying point of an anti-Obama insurgency within the Democratic Party in 2012. Were economic calamity and political tumult torment Obama as it did Carter, could Hillary resist the cries of her supporters and Democratic pundits to mount a challenge to the politically mortally wounded incumbent much like Ted Kennedy did in 1980?

While it would surely lead to a bloody and potentially devastating civil war within the Democratic Party, it might likewise provide Clinton with her quickest route to the White House and the realization of her dream of being the first female president.

With John McCain’s selection of Palin as his running mate, though, those dreams became starkly dimmer and much more complicated.

Should McCain defeat Obama, Palin would then become the nation’s first female vice president. Having secured her place in history, Palin could then mount her own run for the presidency and the historic distinction so fervently sought by Clinton. From the position of vice president, Palin would naturally enjoy substantial advantages in her quest to move from the Naval Observatory to the White House.

For both Palin and Clinton, the primary factor influencing their respective shots at the coveted title of first female American president is McCain himself.

Should McCain serve one term and be denied a second at the ballot box, how would that impact Palin’s future prospects for the Republican presidential nomination? On the other hand, were McCain to defy the political odds and maintain Republican control of the White House for an uninterrupted sixteen years by serving two terms, would Palin’s presidential prospects be dashed by an electorate burnt out on pachyderm presidencies? Were that series of events to fall into place, the odds of Hillary donning the historic mantle would be dramatically improved.

Then again, a McCain presidency also holds a potential combination nightmare-dream opportunity for Clinton and Palin; his health.

At 72, McCain would be the oldest person to take the Oath of Office for a first term. Having had skin cancer removed previously, McCain’s health in conjunction with his age gives many pause. It also would give Palin the distinction of being America’s first female president should McCain become incapacitated or die in office. While this would close the door on Hillary’s historic hopes, it might well set the stage for a titanic all-women battle royal between herself and an incumbent President Palin.

Following the logic that a seasoned Hillary could easily dispatch Palin even while enjoying the advantages of incumbency, there is growing talk among Clinton’s supporters that perhaps they should lend Fate and Hillary a hand by voting for the Republican ticket this coming November. Though failing to grasp the title of first female American president, her dream of rising to the presidency would nonetheless be fulfilled; albeit in an admittedly less grandiose and historic fashion.

Thus the crux of Hillary’s dilemma – Whose victory on November 4th would best serve her own future presidential aspirations?

That being the case, one wonders who the junior Senator from New York will actually vote for once she enters the ballot booth come the first Tuesday of November. Ah, to be the proverbial fly on the wall......

Decisions, decisions, faithful readers. Stay tuned for further updates as events warrant and the pieces fall into place.

Thus the crux of Hillary’s dilemma – Whose victory on November 4th would best serve her own future presidential aspirations?

That being the case, one wonders who the junior Senator from New York will actually vote for once she enters the ballot booth come the first Tuesday of November. Ah, to be the proverbial fly on the wall......

Thanks for another installment from the "Hillary is a Calculating, Self-serving Shrew" files.

I know its a good paying gig for some rightwing pundits. But, I can't believe you wasted your time writing this on a message board.

The narrative of the self-serving witch theme, has been debunked, and is currently inoperative except in the fevered imaginations of the Hate Hillary rightwing crowd.

Hillary is doing more to support Obama's election, than I ever saw Bill Bradley do for Al Gore, or Ronald Reagan do for Poppy Bush. There's some things I don't like about Hillary Clinton, but the lies about her being a self serving, solipsistic witch are beyond laughable at this point.

Actually, it was Bush's decision to minimize Reagan's role in the 1988 campaign. In a telling bit of insecurity and ego, Bush wanted to step out of Reagan's shadow and demonstrate he could win the presidency without the Gipper in effect passing it to him.

As for Bradley, his potential influence in the general election was negligible. Gore would have been far better served had he aggressively utilized Clinton, who was still highly popular at that point. Again, however, ego stepped in and compelled Gore to turn his back on the tarnished Bubba.

I would suggest, however, that Senator Clinton's support of Senator Obama is based primarily on her desire to not be seen as attributing to his defeat either by omission or commission should it come to pass. In the end, should he lose, her hands and reputation in the Party will be clean, even as she and her supporters quietly gloat and spread the word that had she been nominated she would have easily dispatched McCain with or without Governor Palin by his side.

By the way, when did calculating become a bad thing? Particularly in politics....

Actually, it was Bush's decision to minimize Reagan's role in the 1988 campaign. In a telling bit of insecurity and ego, Bush wanted to step out of Reagan's shadow and demonstrate he could win the presidency without the Gipper in effect passing it to him.

As for Bradley, his potential influence in the general election was negligible. Gore would have been far better served had he aggressively utilized Clinton, who was still highly popular at that point. Again, however, ego stepped in and compelled Gore to turn his back on the tarnished Bubba.

I would suggest, however, that Senator Clinton's support of Senator Obama is based primarily on her desire to not be seen as attributing to his defeat either by omission or commission should it come to pass. In the end, should he lose, her hands and reputation in the Party will be clean, even as she and her supporters quietly gloat and spread the word that had she been nominated she would have easily dispatched McCain with or without Governor Palin by his side.

By the way, when did calculating become a bad thing? Particularly in politics....

If McCain loses this year, in four years, Mitt Romney is the odds-on favorite to gain the R nomination.

McCain and Romney are widely know to truly dislike each other.

Do you believe that Romney is hoping for a McCain win? If so, please explain what on earth would cause you to conclude such? If not, when can we expect your dissertation on his calculations, manipulations, and secret wishes?

Virtually all politicians calculate.

While is was popular as recently as a few months ago to suggest the Hillary Clinton would actively undermine Obama in a general election, that theory was born out of some Hate Hillary dementia that I've never fully understood.

I've never seen a second-place finishing candidate from a primary doing so much to help elect their former opponent. Not Bradly, not Reagan, not Kennedy.

You really should go back to writing about how the surge worked. This one is just garbage.

If McCain loses this year, in four years, Mitt Romney is the odds-on favorite to gain the R nomination.

Do you believe that Romney is hoping for a McCain win? If so, please explain what on earth would cause you to conclude such? If not, when can we expect your dissertation on his calculations, manipulations, and secret wishes?

I will make you any bet that not only will Romney not gain the R's Presidential nomination in 2012 I will also bet you that is he is not the favorite to beat at the start of the primary season.

I guess she was not good enough. Palin made it to VP nom without hanging on a husbands shirt tails. That my twisted lesbian feminists who were suppose to be all for the woman who can do it all----is a real American woman--self supportive--self driven--and coming out of nowhere with a record of kicking butt and saving people money.

Meet the real American woman, who all young ladies should look up to for inspiration (and most of you so called men here also)--Saracuda Palin!!!!!!! She is the American story of the century--and hates to lose. She is John Wayne American---dealing with a Richard Simmons liberial population. Good thing she is a good shot. :)

I will make you any bet that not only will Romney not gain the R's Presidential nomination in 2012 I will also bet you that is he is not the favorite to beat at the start of the primary season.

I think it is gonna be Palin vs Hillery. cat fight!!!!!!!! lol

Palin is gonna kick the shit out of the rich bitch. :)

My guess is McCain will not run for a second term, so the only way his victory would hurt Mitt is that he would have to overcome a VP Palin in the primaries, which he probably couldn't do when it comes down to it.

Back