Historians See Little Chance for McCain

uscitizen

Villified User
Historians belonging to both parties offered a litany of historical comparisons that give little hope to the Republican. Several saw Barack Obama’s prospects as the most promising for a Democrat since Roosevelt trounced Hoover in 1932.

“This should be an overwhelming Democratic victory,” said Allan Lichtman, an American University presidential historian who ran in a Maryland Democratic senatorial primary in 2006. Lichtman, whose forecasting model has correctly predicted the last six presidential popular vote winners, predicts that this year, “Republicans face what have always been insurmountable historical odds.” His system gives McCain a score on par with Jimmy Carter’s in 1980.

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/historians-see-little-chance-for-mccain/20080615124509990001?icid=100214839x1204172149x1200167371

Apparently McCain is a carter protege.

Not enough.

To prove your devotion you must hit the polls at least 3 times, I hear.

Many 'Crats vote in multiple states, using absentee ballots, which allow voting before election day.

Hence the slogan "vote early and often"....

Historians belonging to both parties offered a litany of historical comparisons that give little hope to the Republican. Several saw Barack Obama’s prospects as the most promising for a Democrat since Roosevelt trounced Hoover in 1932.

“This should be an overwhelming Democratic victory,” said Allan Lichtman, an American University presidential historian who ran in a Maryland Democratic senatorial primary in 2006. Lichtman, whose forecasting model has correctly predicted the last six presidential popular vote winners, predicts that this year, “Republicans face what have always been insurmountable historical odds.” His system gives McCain a score on par with Jimmy Carter’s in 1980.

http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/historians-see-little-chance-for-mccain/20080615124509990001?icid=100214839x1204172149x1200167371

Apparently McCain is a carter protege.

I disagree with the scholars. McCain stands more of a chance then they give him credit for. Don't underestimate the power of race. There are to many moron ractist, like irreputable, who would vote for a lamp post before they would vote for a nigger.

McCain may damned well win because working class whites are not ready for a black President.

Not enough.

To prove your devotion you must hit the polls at least 3 times, I hear.

Many 'Crats vote in multiple states, using absentee ballots, which allow voting before election day.

Hence the slogan "vote early and often"....

I often wonder why I come here, never more than when I've just read one of your posts. What a waste of my time. Why would I ruin a blissful weekend by starting my Monday out with these idiots? I really think I need a break. Just for the record, if you dropped dead? No loss.

"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Ad hominem again?

I notice that "historian" has been redefined as "one who predicts the future", instead of "an individual who studies and writes about history".

I am glad to see that my assessment of the 'Crat campaign strategy is correct:

Vote early and often

A lie repeated enough times becomes the truth

It's racist to oppose President Obama

Last edited:
Far righties think what has happened is irrelevant, that only what will happen matters.

Why they keep getting blindsided because of short narrow vision.

"The term is often used to discredit an opposing position, or its proponent, by argument fallacy ad hominem. Often, calling someone a troll makes assumptions about a writer's motives. Regardless of the circumstances, controversial posts may attract a particularly strong response from those unfamiliar with the robust dialogue found in some online, rather than physical, communities."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Did you forget to credit Wiki?

"Did you forget to credit Wiki?"

No, I credited Wiki.

And that description doesn't apply to you. The 77th writing of "You're a racist if you don't vote for Obama 3 times" does not qualify as "robust dialogue," under any definition imaginable.

I disagree with the scholars. McCain stands more of a chance then they give him credit for. Don't underestimate the power of race. There are to many moron ractist, like irreputable, who would vote for a lamp post before they would vote for a nigger.

McCain may damned well win because working class whites are not ready for a black President.

You overstate the power and number of morons like the dummy you mentioned.

They are a dwindling lot, mostly white male, are far outnumbered by the rest of America.

The historians are correct, this election will be a LANDSLIDE.

Politics based on fear have an quick experation date.

People tire of fear. It seems fear is about all that the republican party has left in its toolbox. Well they do still have the cheating of voter intimidation through the ID laws and unsecure machines for voting. They will come closer to winning than they really should but it still will not be enough to win them the election. Then we will make the laws and machines fair again. Democrats always do better in elections when more voters turn out to vote. Republicans do better when fewer people vote. Its just the facts. Its why they republicans have to cheat and embrace peoples fears to try and win. Democrats just have to get as many people to vote as possible to win. There is a reason why they dont like the name Democratic party and fear it so much they cant even speak our Name properly

Not that I necessarily disagree with their assessment, but did the historians have anything to say about the chances of a black guy being elected president?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see forecasting this election based on historical models to be terribly enlightening.

Not that I necessarily disagree with their assessment, but did the historians have anything to say about the chances of a black guy being elected president?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see forecasting this election based on historical models to be terribly enlightening.

Haha good point.

In the presidential election of November 2004, the percentage of voting-age citizens who voted was higher than the percentage who turned out in 2000, according to the Census Bureau. Ever notice that 'Crats spew forth opinions and wishful thinking and then pretend they're facts?

I often wonder why I come here, never more than when I've just read one of your posts. What a waste of my time. Why would I ruin a blissful weekend by starting my Monday out with these idiots? I really think I need a break. Just for the record, if you dropped dead? No loss.
Good monday to you! and how was Fire Island?

Back