How is the Maverick different from the Shrub ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/us/politics/12cnd-mccain.html

McCain Differs With Bush on Climate Change

Mr. McCain added pointedly: “I will not shirk the mantle of leadership that the United States bears. I will not permit eight long years to pass without serious action on serious challenges.”

The senator’s remarks were a direct criticism of Mr. Bush, who in his first term questioned the scientific basis for global warming and has remained adamantly opposed to mandatory caps on emissions as bad for the American economy.

In another contrast with Mr. Bush, Mr. McCain also sought to persuade voters that he has a personal concern and first-hand experience with the climate change that has emerged as a major issue in the 2008 presidential race.

“A few years ago I traveled to the area of Svalbard, Norway, a group of islands in the Arctic Ocean,” Mr. McCain said. “I was shown the southernmost point where a glacier had reached 20 years earlier. From there, we had to venture northward up the fjord to see where that same glacier ends today because all the rest has melted.”

Mr. McCain added pointedly: “I will not shirk the mantle of leadership that the United States bears. I will not permit eight long years to pass without serious action on serious challenges.”

The senator’s remarks were a direct criticism of Mr. Bush, who in his first term questioned the scientific basis for global warming and has remained adamantly opposed to mandatory caps on emissions as bad for the American economy.

In another contrast with Mr. Bush, Mr. McCain also sought to persuade voters that he has a personal concern and first-hand experience with the climate change that has emerged as a major issue in the 2008 presidential race.

“A few years ago I traveled to the area of Svalbard, Norway, a group of islands in the Arctic Ocean,” Mr. McCain said. “I was shown the southernmost point where a glacier had reached 20 years earlier. From there, we had to venture northward up the fjord to see where that same glacier ends today because all the rest has melted.”

yeah I read the article. willing to attack other polluter nations and to :

"In what his campaign promoted as a major speech on climate change, the Arizona senator renewed his support for a “cap-and-trade” system in which power plants and other polluters could meet limits on greenhouse gases by either reducing emissions on their own or buying credits from more efficient producers."

Now who else got flack for the carbon credits type of approach?

But I will give you that he is a bit different from bush on at least talking about climate change , but the same approach.

Didn't bush support the credits thing ? What else did McCain propose in that article for action in the USA ?

The rest seemed to be empty political rhetoric to me.

I don't think McCain is in reality all that different from Bush on this issue. For starters, he either (1) doesn't understand his own cap-and-trade proposal or (2) is lying about it. He has said, repeatedly and since that May article was written, that he opposes mandatory caps, just like Bush. Yet, at the same time his is proposing a cap and trade system. The critical component of a cap-and-trade system is the cap. Yet, John McCain doesn't support a cap.

So, either he doesn't support his own policy (which policy is key reason he appears to be "different" from Bush) or he is an idiot who has no clue what the fuck he is talking about (and is, resultantly, very similar to president Bush ).

As for the similarities and differences between McCain and Bush generally, there are plenty more similarities than differences. The NYTimes had a nice rundown. I disagree with some of it (particularly the cap-and-trade issue) but it's fairly good. It's linked below:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2008/06/17/us/politics/20080617_POLICY_GRAPHIC.html

Back