How Many Forever Chemicals Are in Your Contact Lenses? | Mercola.com

Scott

Verified User
This certainly surprised me. I've never worn contact lenses, but I might have considered using them in the future. Not sure I would now, unless I could find a pair that had fluorine at levels below what the EPA found acceptable in drinking water and even then it's a maybe. Haven't found the government agencies are always on the mark on what is safe. On a note about the article itself, Mercola.com articles are only free for 48 hours, after which they're put behind a paywall. During those 48 hours, you can download them as a PDF by clicking on the pdf button near the top left of the article.

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

Mamavation, in partnership with Environmental Health News, had 18 different brands of contact lenses tested for organic fluorine, a marker for PFAS

All the contact lenses tested positive for fluorine, at levels ranging from 105 to 20,700 parts per million (ppm)

While 44% of the contact lenses tested contained fluorine at a level over 4,000 ppm, 22% contained more than 18,000 ppm

A large population-based study conducted in China found exposure to PFAS increased the risk of visual impairment

PFAS is likely used in contact lenses to make them soft and allow oxygen to flow through, but the chemicals are linked to reproductive and developmental problems, cancer, liver disease and more

[snip]

All the contact lenses tested positive for fluorine, at levels ranging from 105 to 20,700 parts per million (ppm). While 44% of the contact lenses tested contained fluorine at a level over 4,000 ppm, 22% contained more than 18,000 ppm.5 The contact lenses with the highest organic fluorine levels were:6

Alcon Air Optix Colors with Smartshield Technology (20,700 ppm)
Alcon Total30 Contact Lenses for Daily Wear (20,400 ppm)
Alcon Air Optix (No Hydraglide) for Astigmatism (20,000 ppm)

What does this mean in terms of your health? Pete Myers, chief scientist for Environmental Health Sciences, said:7

“The presumption that these organic fluorine levels measured in contact lenses are safe is laughable. Last summer the EPA issued health advisories in drinking for four common PFAS, ranging from 0.004 parts per trillion (ppt) to 2000 ppt. EPA considers exposure beneath these thresholds to be safe for drinking water.

While comparing drinking levels in water to concentrations in contact lenses is like comparing apples to oranges, it’s worth noting that all of the contact lenses tested exceeded 100 ppm, which is equivalent to 100,000,000 ppt, or 50,000 times higher than the highest level deemed safe in drinking water by the EPA.”

Full article:
How Many Forever Chemicals Are in Your Contact Lenses? | Mercola.com

Back