How to make classical liberalism more popular

No matter how rich we get liberal politicians will use envy to get elected and make people unappreciative of what they have.

No matter how rich we get liberal politicians will use envy to get elected and make people unappreciative of what they have.

Not true. The poorer the country is, the more populated it is by populists and religion. And poorer countries are always far more populist leaning.

Most people judge rich and poor in relative terms so it pretty much impossible to make everybody rich. Making everybody poor is not as difficult.

Water, I think you have it backwards. It is not the poorer a nation the more populist they are. Rather, it is the more populist a nation the poorer they are.

Most people judge rich and poor in relative terms so it pretty much impossible to make everybody rich. Making everybody poor is not as difficult.

Water, I think you have it backwards. It is not the poorer a nation the more populist they are. Rather, it is the more populist a nation the poorer they are.

Yep, the US was stinking rich in Hoover's day...

Classical liberalism is not free market zealotry. Nations have a right to opt out of trade policy it deems harmful. The issue is "who should our trade policy represent?" You fools want it to represent corporate short term interests, with no other considerations factored in.

The constituency of market liberals has usually been the rich.

I mean, the Free Democrats in Germany has the richest average voters of any party. Same thing with the Progressive Democrats in Ireland, the VVD in the Netherlands. In England, the Liberal Democrats, despite being more liberal than labour, have average voters even richer than the conservatives. I was poking fun at that.

Back