How We Became the United States of France

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
More at Link

this is pretty exciting.

"The Bush Administration has preached the "ownership society" to America: own your house, own your retirement account; you don't need the government in your way. So Americans mortgaged themselves to the hilt to buy overpriced houses they can no longer afford and signed up for 401k programs that put money where, exactly? In the stock market! Where rich Republicans fleeced them. "

John McLiar gets a federal veterans disability pension, he draws a social security pension, and he will draw a federal pension as a retired US Senator.

I wonder if he would like all his Federal pensions privatized and put into wall street?

Actually, we don't even have to speculate. A few years ago, Bernie Sanders had a bill the required the pensions of US Representatives and Senators to be converted into cash balance 401(k)s. And while Repubican senators were railing against federal pensions, and preaching the wonders of 401(k)s to the rest of us, they all declined Sander's offer to covert their Senate pensions into 401(k)s.

John McLiar gets a federal veterans disability pension, he draws a social security pension, and he will draw a federal pension as a retired US Senator.

I wonder if he would like all his Federal pensions privatized and put into wall street?

Actually, we don't even have to speculate. A few years ago, Bernie Sanders had a bill the required the pensions of US Representatives and Senators to be converted into cash balance 401(k)s. And while Repubican senators were railing against federal pensions, and preaching the wonders of 401(k)s to the rest of us, they all declined Sander's offer to covert their Senate pensions into 401(k)s.

gee I wonder why......

LOL

This is the most amazing *&^% ever.

It really is. I'm still trying to get my head around most of it and what I'd like to see happen.

One thing is for sure though, I'm certain congress will mess things up.

More at Link

this is pretty exciting.

"The Bush Administration has preached the "ownership society" to America: own your house, own your retirement account; you don't need the government in your way. So Americans mortgaged themselves to the hilt to buy overpriced houses they can no longer afford and signed up for 401k programs that put money where, exactly? In the stock market! Where rich Republicans fleeced them. "
???
An ownership society is a good thing, you yourself are happier owning a house right? The problem was with SOME getting approved for mortgages that were too large for the person.
2 seperate things.

The so called proposal for "privatization" of SS, was allowing those who WANTED to invest their money privately instead of having it forced off their paychecks into SS, would have the freedom to do so.

Obviously senate pensions are richer than the average Schmoe's SS payout, a disingenuous comparison.

???
An ownership society is a good thing, you yourself are happier owning a house right? The problem was with SOME getting approved for mortgages that were too large for the person.
2 seperate things.

Yup.

An now WEEEE have to pay for it.

Ownership my @$$.

Did I say I was against owning properties? If so, please highlight it.
He asked if you preferred owning your own property and you came back with:

Yup.

An now WEEEE have to pay for it.

Ownership my @$$.

It seemed as if you were rejecting his question on your preference to owning your own property. My bad.

Part of this is that people over-extended and borrowed more than they could repay. Or they got loans with big balloon payments or fell for the "Just $500 a month to buy a $500,000 home (and the fine print said $500 for the first year and $5k a month for the next 20 years)"

But the banks are just as responsible.

People forget, the banks are loaning OUR money out. I want them to be more careful with MY money that they loan out. If I earn a slightly lower interest rate, I'm ok with that.

Back