Ice Free? North Pole says, "I don't think so!"

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://www.dailytech.com/Sea+Ice+Growing+at+Fastest+Pace+on+Record/article13385.htm

Sea Ice Growing at Fastest Pace on Record

Rapid Rebound Brings Ice Back to Levels from the 1980s.

An abnormally cool Arctic is seeing dramatic changes to ice levels. In sharp contrast to the rapid melting seen last year, the amount of global sea ice has rebounded sharply and is now growing rapidly. The total amount of ice, which set a record low value last year, grew in October at the fastest pace since record-keeping began in 1979.

The actual amount of ice area varies seasonally from about 16 to 23 million square kilometers. However, the mean anomaly-- defined as the difference between the current area and the seasonally-adjusted average-- changes much slower, and generally varies by only 2-3 million square kilometers.

That anomaly had been negative, indicating ice loss, for most of the current decade and reached a historic low in 2007. The current value is again zero, indicating an amount of ice exactly equal to the global average from 1979-2000.

More at link...

So, we can all breathe a sigh of relief, the warming models again seem to be just a tiny bit inaccurate. Amazing how a fledgling science just decades old may have some growing pains, eh?

well logic follows that if more of the ice melted more than usual in the summer more would freeze back come winter time.

Things may have been a bit warmer this summer up there, but they will still get cold this winter.

well logic follows that if more of the ice melted more than usual in the summer more would freeze back come winter time.

Things may have been a bit warmer this summer up there, but they will still get cold this winter.
The problem is, more ice didn't melt, it never was ice free, and now the ice levels are much higher than they started with. Basically every piece of the predictive model failed.

The problem is, more ice didn't melt, it never was ice free, and now the ice levels are much higher than they started with. Basically every piece of the predictive model failed.

Every generation of humans think they have it all figured out. And so far every generation has been wrong.

I don't think that article supports much or any of the claims in the above post.

I don't think that article supports much or any of the claims in the above post.
Yeah, the fact that there is more ice than the beginning of the year (note how it mentions that the ice has returned to 1980 levels) wasn't covered. Wow, can't even deduce that there was more ice in 1980 in the North Pole than now.... I'm so underwhelmed there, Dung.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, the fact that there is more ice than the beginning of the year (note how it mentions that the ice has returned to 1980 levels) wasn't covered. Wow, can't even deduce that there was more ice in 1980 in the North Pole than now.... I'm so underwhelmed there, Dung.

:rolleyes:

is it just me or is that a bit fuzzy and convoluted ?

That was just a comment about the sky is falling post.

It was just a comment to match your serious reply to my sarcasm yesterday.

Didn't turn out as funny as it was in my head. But thats usually the case.

Back