‘If I must die, let it be a tale’: a tribute to Refaat Alareer | The Grayzone

Scott

Verified User
I read the article that bears the same name as this thread today, brought some tears to my eyes, but also happiness to hear of people like this, who understand that the truth is not nearly as black and white as many people tend to see things. For those who (like myself until today) don't know who Refaat Alareer, he was a Palestinian poet and teacher. In times of war, I always find it immensely gratifying to find stories like this. Quoting a bit from the beginning and the conclusion of the article. My favourite part was his poem at the very end, from which the title of the article derives its name...

Max Blumenthal

December 7, 2023

My friend Refaat Alareer was murdered by Israeli invaders in Shujaiya, east of Gaza City, on December 6. He is now among the more than 16,000 civilians killed by Israel in the besieged enclave since October 7.

Our correspondence continued off-and-on for the past nine years. In our final exchange, on November 27, as the bombing grew closer to his home, he told me, “Everything is running out. Food. Water. Cooking gas. Israel is bombing all sources of life. Solar panels, water tanks and pipes. Not one bakery is functioning.”

Refaat was an author and educator who taught English literature at Gaza’s Islamic University, which has been completely destroyed.

[snip]

When class was over, fifteen young women in colorful headscarves and long dresses approached Dan all at once, peppering him with questions. “The class had apparently known that I was a Jew,” Dan told me, “and they wanted to know what I thought about them, about Gaza, about my life in the US. They had never met a Jew before and they really showed me a lot of respect.”

The following day, the young woman who declared her hatred for Jews approached Refaat to express regret. Hearing herself verbalize her resentment left her feeling ashamed, she told him. And the meeting with Dan after class had provoked her to consider redirecting the anger that had gripped her after the war.

“Gaza is the most maligned place in the world, and if we were to believe what we’re told by established Jewish groups in the US and mainstream media, we would think that a Jew in Gaza would be ripped apart, that Gazans are running around looking for a Jew to kill,” Dan reflected later. “In this supposed hotbed of anti-Semitism, everything was completely the opposite of the way I was told it was going to be. What I found were people like Refaat fighting to keep the violence that had consumed the physical lives of his students from consuming them internally. What he’s doing is holy work.”

Days before his death, Refaat pinned the following poem he wrote to the top of his Twitter/X timeline:

If I must die,
you must live
to tell my story
to sell my things
to buy a piece of cloth
and some strings,
(make it white with a long tail)
so that a child, somewhere in Gaza
while looking heaven in the eye
awaiting his dad who left in a blaze—
and bid no one farewell
not even to his flesh
not even to himself—
sees the kite, my kite you made, flying up
above
and thinks for a moment an angel is there
bringing back love
If I must die
let it bring hope
let it be a tale

Full article:

I read the article that bears the same name as this thread today, brought some tears to my eyes, but also happiness to hear of people like this, who understand that the truth is not nearly as black and white as many people tend to see things. For those who (like myself until today) don't know who Refaat Alareer, he was a Palestinian poet and teacher. In times of war, I always find it immensely gratifying to find stories like this. Quoting a bit from the beginning and the conclusion of the article. My favourite part was his poem at the very end, from which the title of the article derives its name...

Max Blumenthal

December 7, 2023

My friend Refaat Alareer was murdered by Israeli invaders in Shujaiya, east of Gaza City, on December 6. He is now among the more than 16,000 civilians killed by Israel in the besieged enclave since October 7.

Our correspondence continued off-and-on for the past nine years. In our final exchange, on November 27, as the bombing grew closer to his home, he told me, “Everything is running out. Food. Water. Cooking gas. Israel is bombing all sources of life. Solar panels, water tanks and pipes. Not one bakery is functioning.”

Refaat was an author and educator who taught English literature at Gaza’s Islamic University, which has been completely destroyed.

[snip]

When class was over, fifteen young women in colorful headscarves and long dresses approached Dan all at once, peppering him with questions. “The class had apparently known that I was a Jew,” Dan told me, “and they wanted to know what I thought about them, about Gaza, about my life in the US. They had never met a Jew before and they really showed me a lot of respect.”

The following day, the young woman who declared her hatred for Jews approached Refaat to express regret. Hearing herself verbalize her resentment left her feeling ashamed, she told him. And the meeting with Dan after class had provoked her to consider redirecting the anger that had gripped her after the war.

“Gaza is the most maligned place in the world, and if we were to believe what we’re told by established Jewish groups in the US and mainstream media, we would think that a Jew in Gaza would be ripped apart, that Gazans are running around looking for a Jew to kill,” Dan reflected later. “In this supposed hotbed of anti-Semitism, everything was completely the opposite of the way I was told it was going to be. What I found were people like Refaat fighting to keep the violence that had consumed the physical lives of his students from consuming them internally. What he’s doing is holy work.”

Days before his death, Refaat pinned the following poem he wrote to the top of his Twitter/X timeline:

If I must die,
you must live
to tell my story
to sell my things
to buy a piece of cloth
and some strings,
(make it white with a long tail)
so that a child, somewhere in Gaza
while looking heaven in the eye
awaiting his dad who left in a blaze—
and bid no one farewell
not even to his flesh
not even to himself—
sees the kite, my kite you made, flying up
above
and thinks for a moment an angel is there
bringing back love
If I must die
let it bring hope
let it be a tale

Full article:

Maybe you can take up his mantel of terrorism and go kill Jews in his stead?

Notice that they aren't killing any Jews, they are HATING Jews for killing them. The Israelis do the killing and the Palestinians either do the dying or they do the HATING of the Israeli killers. This is somewhere in the neighborhood of the 30th time this has been explained to you but you just don't seem to have the hardware to fully grasp the situation. To be Team Israel is to turn off all cognitive function as well as all conscience.

You never answered my question, oh coward-in-the-shit, how many Arab children are you hoping the IDF wastes? I see that the current "thousands" is insufficient to satisfy your lust for Arab blood and for Arab child sacrifice. How many more Arab children have to die to "make it right"? After all, the children need to die because Israel has a right to defend itself, right? The children need to die, in flagrant violation of the Geneva Conventions because Israel has a right to exist, yes?

Even Nordberg is smarter than you on this issue; you must be embarrassed. You're a moron, a bigot and a coward.

Guno צְבִי;5881966 said:
In the immediate aftermath of the 2023 Hamas-led attack on Israel, he described the attack as "legitimate and moral"

I hadn't known that, but it doesn't take away from other things that he's done, such as teach Palestinians that not all jews are as cruel as the Israeli government.

Refaat Alareer was a poet and a professor, not a terrorist. His resistance was confined to the pen. I found some of his last words to be bittersweet:

In one of his last public interviews, with Electronic Intifada, Refaat vowed that, if necessary, he would die by the same pen by which he lived: “I’m an academic. Probably the toughest thing I have at home is an Expo marker. But if the Israelis invade, if the paratroopers charge at us, going from door to door, to massacre us, I am going to use that marker to throw it at the Israeli soldiers, even if that is the last thing that I do.”

Guno צְבִי;5881966 said:
In the immediate aftermath of the 2023 Hamas-led attack on Israel, he described the attack as "legitimate and moral"

Say the "wrong" thing and one must die is how dark ages such as this roll.

Most of our ancestors did better.

Notice that they aren't killing any Jews, they are HATING Jews for killing them.

I think it's also worth noting that Refaat Alareer, having visited the U.S., realized that there were many jews who were -against- the Israeli government's position of handing out a stream of misery to the Palestinian people. Quoting from the article:

It was not until Refaat visited the United States that he came face-to-face with a Jew who sympathized with his plight as a Palestinian. “When you talk to Jewish people about their lives, they host you in their homes, you spend time with their families, they can educate you in ways beyond imagination because they know about Israel, about Jewish life, about Zionism,” he marveled. “You learn so much because they are insiders. It was the tour to America that changed me in so many ways.”

He took this knowledge and applied it in Gaza:

When Refaat returned to Gaza from the US, he redoubled his efforts to educate Gaza youth out of the narrow prejudices spawned in the seedbed of siege and occupation. At Islamic University, the conservative higher education institution co-founded by the assassinated Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin in 1978, Refaat introduced his students to Hebrew literature. Among the Jewish Israeli writers he assigned them was Yehuda Amichai, the legendary poet whose famed work, “God Has Pity on Kindergarten Children,” tells of short lives consumed in war and punctuated by intimate encounters with violence.

[snip]

Refaat also assigned his students The Merchant of Venice. He encouraged the class to view Shylock, Shakespeare’s Orientalized, avaricious Jewish character, as a sympathetic figure who was struggling to retain a modicum of dignity under an apartheid-like regime.

When his students completed the play, Refaat asked them which Shakespearean character they sympathized with more: Othello, the Venetian general of Arab origin, or Shylock, the Jew. He described their response as the most emotional moment of his six-year teaching career: One by one, his students declared an almost visceral identification with Shylock.

Say the "wrong" thing and one must die is how dark ages such as this roll.

Most of our ancestors did better.

Agreed. Words are almost always best handled with more words. Weapons should be a last resort and certainly not used against people who aren't using any.

That they do. All we can do is try to light the candles that we can and try to get through them.

Keep the embers of civilization going as best we can, hoping for the best. In the end this could very well cost us our life as we get loaded into the Revolutions sure to be massive piles of bodies, but this is the way I have to do it.

Back