Immanuel Kant vs. John Stuart Mill

Cypress

Immanuel Kant: morals are categorical imperatives -- morality is an absolute objective truth which exists independent of human thought and opinion.

John Stuart Mill: ethics are constructed by humans on the basis of utilitarian and practical considerations. Consequences matter in the context of ethics. Whatever brings happiness to the greatest number of people is a true measure of morality.

According to Kant there are absolute truths of morality. One can arrive at these truths through rational thought. Kant gives us various formulations of his rule of the categorical imperative which is, Kant believes, wholly derived from rational thought.

In contrast to Kantian ethics, the nature of morality in Mill's formulation of utilitarianism does not require an appeal to absolute ethical truths separate from situational applications. For Mill, morality is established through consideration of the utility to humankind of any given action.

https://www.csueastbay.edu/philosophy/reflections/2008/contents/tyrus-fish.html

Immanuel Kant: morals are categorical imperatives -- morality is an absolute objective truth which exists independent of human thought and opinion.

John Stuart Mill: ethics are constructed by humans on the basis of utilitarian and practical considerations. Consequences matter in the context of ethics. Whatever brings happiness to the greatest number of people is a true measure of morality.

Kant was just stating Christian theology in secular terms.

from the internet
Moral universalism (also called moral objectivism) is the meta-ethical position that some system of ethics, or a universal ethic, applies universally, that is, for "all similarly situated individuals", regardless of culture, race, sex, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other distinguishing feature.

Hume was not a sceptic. But...we can debate that if you so choose.

Most professional philosophers I have listened to, and most reputable internet sources I have read consider Hume to be famous for his skepticism.

Encyclopedia Britannica

David Hume, Scottish philosopher, historian, economist, and essayist known especially for his philosophical empiricism and skepticism.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/David-Hume
His skepticism seems self evident to me. He thought all our mind has access to is experiences filtered through sensory perception - and we therefore can never have actual knowlege of objective reality.

from the internet
Moral universalism (also called moral objectivism) is the meta-ethical position that some system of ethics, or a universal ethic, applies universally, that is, for "all similarly situated individuals", regardless of culture, race, sex, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other distinguishing feature.

Sounds vaguely Kantian

Most professional philosophers I have listened to, and most reputable internet sources I have read consider Hume to be famous for his skepticism.

His skepticism seems self evident to me. He thought all our mind has access to is experiences filtered through sensory perception - and we therefore can never have actual knowlege of objective reality.
He never says that.

That is precisely what Hume says

Encyclopedia Britannica

Hume tried to describe how the mind works in acquiring what is called knowledge. He concluded that no theory of reality is possible; there can be no knowledge of anything beyond experience.

I was attempting to side with John Stuart Mill.

Mill's view of ethics was utilitarian and situational. I thought the quote you posted was making the case a moral reality is universal and objectively true. May be I read the quote wrong.

I am not going to indulge your argument that Encyclopedia Britannica is wrong.

Hume's skepticism seems self evident to me. He thought all our mind has access to is experiences filtered through sensory perception - and we therefore can never have actual knowlege of objective reality.

Encyclopedia Britannica

Hume tried to describe how the mind works in acquiring what is called knowledge. He concluded that no theory of reality is possible; there can be no knowledge of anything .

Mill's view of ethics was utilitarian and situational. I thought the quote you posted was making the case a moral reality is universal and objectively true. May be I read the quote wrong.
Kant is moral absolutism and Mill is metaphysics that transcends culture. Consequentialism or karma is universal and something one brings upon oneself. We can see the consequences of an immoral government with BLM and 6.Jan; John Stuart Mill actually brought about reform of a corrupt system.

Kant is moral absolutism and Mill is metaphysics that transcends culture. Consequentialism or karma is universal and something one brings upon oneself. We can see the consequences of an immoral government with BLM and 6.Jan; John Stuart Mill actually brought about reform of a corrupt system.
That has been the debate for 200 years: categorical moral imperatives or utilitarianism.

I think you are correct that Mill was more effective at least in the broader realm of culture and politics. Social contract theory was right up his alley, and we can give him substantial credit for the evolution of modern western liberalism.

Back